• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

topbroker

Reaction score
It has been ages since I have posted here at Style Forum, but I came across this thread in a Google search on "shoe repair Korea" and was pleased to discover that there were so many Korea-knowledgeable menswear enthusiasts here. You may all be of great help to me. I am teaching ESL in Changwon, a city of 1.2 million on the south coast, 45 minutes from Busan. Hence, I will not get to Seoul all that often; Busan is much easier for me to get to, if there are any worthwhile resources there (and I would hope so, since it's a city the size of Los Angeles). I plan to teach in Korea for a number of years, possibly until I hit retirement age and hopefully move to Buenos Aires (which must be a great menswear town!). Right now I'm teaching adults at a private academy, but I expect I will shift to a university job after a year or too. My B.A. is in American Studies from Yale; my master's degrees are in English and education from Boston University. Koreans are very snobby about credentials and these ones are serving me well. Also benefiting me is my habit of dressing well for work every day. Most ESL teachers are young and are slobs, frankly. My boss loves that I am almost always in a jacket and tie (I relax my code a bit on Fridays), and I get enormous respect on the street (including a lot of interest from Korean women). I'm 51 years old, 6'2", 205 lbs., brown-haired shifting to silver, reasonable-looking (and Koreans make me feel that I am a Greek god or something).
2204382190102775237S600x600Q85.jpg
Although I appreciate that most Korean men dress up for work, the quality of their suits and shoes, at least in Changwon, is not good. It is not strictly a question of cost. I have always lived on a limited budget compared to a lawyer or business executive, but by canny buying and good alterations, I manage to look good. Maybe the men of Seoul do a better job putting themselves together. I do like the first Korean menswear magazine I have found, Luel, which is sort of a Details but probably a little better than that publication. There is also a new Korean TV drama that I enjoy watching, Secret Agent Miss Oh, one of whose stars, Ryu Jin, is wardrobed in a terrifically fashionable way. Since my clothing and shoes matter to me, I do not mind the added cost if I have to ship items for repairs. If there is no trustworthy shoe repair shop in Changwon (and there does not appear to be), I am comfortable with shipping my shoes to Seoul, or back to America, or wherever is most convenient. A decent shoe repair shop, Myung-dong Sa, was mentioned by aleeboy; does anyone have an address? Do they have any employees who can communicate in English? Are there any shirtmakers -- perhaps Hahn's or Savile Row in Seoul? -- who can replace collars and cuffs to precise specifications? If not, I will continue to use Maldonado in San Antonio, Texas, who is excellent. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these made from a little underground shop for about $30 each:

dscn1238w.jpg

dscn1239t.jpg

dscn1240t.jpg

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got another suit commissioned by Hahn. Charcoal pinstripe SB 2B with peak lapels and hacking pockets. Pics soon!

panorama

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the pics. Will be getting a suit done at Hahns soon. Ryono, where do you buy shoes in Korea, or do you order from outside?

Really like the previous suit you had done at Hahns. What was the cost of that one?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
stuff

You should probably start a new threak for this, you will get more replies.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by panorama
Looking forward to seeing the pics. Will be getting a suit done at Hahns soon. Ryono, where do you buy shoes in Korea, or do you order from outside?

Really like the previous suit you had done at Hahns. What was the cost of that one?

I brought my shoes from the States (internet). The shoes here are way overpriced and the quality is sub-par. I'm just about done my English teaching here in Korea, so I'm leaving with a bang. I will also get one or two jackets from Hahn as well.

Here's his prices, give or take a few bucks due to fabric and other options:

3 piece suit: 600,000 won
2 piece suit: 500,000 won
jacket (wool): 400,000 won
jacket (linen): 350,000 won
trousers: 150,000 won
odd vest: 150,000 won
shirts: 45,000 won
Tux: 500,000 won

Hope this helps, good luck!

panorama

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
It has been ages since I have posted here at Style Forum, but I came across this thread in a Google search on "shoe repair Korea" and was pleased to discover that there were so many Korea-knowledgeable menswear enthusiasts here. You may all be of great help to me.

I am teaching ESL in Changwon, a city of 1.2 million on the south coast, 45 minutes from Busan. Hence, I will not get to Seoul all that often; Busan is much easier for me to get to, if there are any worthwhile resources there (and I would hope so, since it's a city the size of Los Angeles).

I plan to teach in Korea for a number of years, possibly until I hit retirement age and hopefully move to Buenos Aires (which must be a great menswear town!). Right now I'm teaching adults at a private academy, but I expect I will shift to a university job after a year or too. My B.A. is in American Studies from Yale; my master's degrees are in English and education from Boston University. Koreans are very snobby about credentials and these ones are serving me well.

Also benefiting me is my habit of dressing well for work every day. Most ESL teachers are young and are slobs, frankly. My boss loves that I am almost always in a jacket and tie (I relax my code a bit on Fridays), and I get enormous respect on the street (including a lot of interest from Korean women). I'm 51 years old, 6'2", 205 lbs., brown-haired shifting to silver, reasonable-looking (and Koreans make me feel that I am a Greek god or something).

2204382190102775237S600x600Q85.jpg

Although I appreciate that most Korean men dress up for work, the quality of their suits and shoes, at least in Changwon, is not good. It is not strictly a question of cost. I have always lived on a limited budget compared to a lawyer or business executive, but by canny buying and good alterations, I manage to look good. Maybe the men of Seoul do a better job putting themselves together. I do like the first Korean menswear magazine I have found, Luel, which is sort of a Details but probably a little better than that publication. There is also a new Korean TV drama that I enjoy watching, Secret Agent Miss Oh, one of whose stars, Ryu Jin, is wardrobed in a terrifically fashionable way.

Since my clothing and shoes matter to me, I do not mind the added cost if I have to ship items for repairs. If there is no trustworthy shoe repair shop in Changwon (and there does not appear to be), I am comfortable with shipping my shoes to Seoul, or back to America, or wherever is most convenient. A decent shoe repair shop, Myung-dong Sa, was mentioned by aleeboy; does anyone have an address? Do they have any employees who can communicate in English?

Are there any shirtmakers -- perhaps Hahn's or Savile Row in Seoul? -- who can replace collars and cuffs to precise specifications? If not, I will continue to use Maldonado in San Antonio, Texas, who is excellent.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

Thanks for the post, you are amazing...

jon_blaze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Just got these made from a little underground shop for about $30 each:

dscn1238w.jpg

dscn1239t.jpg

dscn1240t.jpg

Where is this little shop? They look good.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon_blaze
Where is this little shop? They look good.

It's called Diana's Tailors past TOM TOM'S coffee heading towards the entrance arch of Itaewon. The quality is just okay, but it's good for beater shirts. Its located underground.

panorama

Reaction score
Any pics of your new suits Ryoneo?

I just got some shirts made at Hahns and they are decent, will probably get a suit or two when I return from vacation...

Rada

Reaction score
I'm probably going to leave Korea with 7 or so suits and double the shirts.... I was thinking about getting a few coats made. I don't plan on returning to Korea anytime soon, so I'll leave with all I can. I know coming back to the states and getting a custom/MTM for tripple the price is going to be a culture shock to me
laugh.gif

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any pics of your new suits Ryoneo?

I just got some shirts made at Hahns and they are decent, will probably get a suit or two when I return from vacation...

I will be picking them up today. I think that shirts are a dime-a-dozen in Korea. To my knowledge, they are all machine made and about the same price and quality.

panorama

Reaction score
yeah, the shirts I got are nothing special but not bad at all, definitely ok for work...

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, the shirts I got are nothing special but not bad at all, definitely ok for work...

Sorry for the late reply. I have been traveling a bit, but now I'm back home in the states. Yes, shirts in Itaewon are like the same everywhere else. But here is some last things that I have picked up from Hahn:

dscn1345l.jpg

dscn1346g.jpg

And this is other stuff from another tailor:

dscn1347j.jpg

dscn1342d.jpg

dscn1343i.jpg

dscn1344o.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads