• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Tipres

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
1) No. If you're talking about wool, it's the weave and the weight that matter and you should probably read the FAQ on super numbers.
2) Polyester is a class of polymers. Terylene is a trade name for a particular synthetic polyester.

Why are you considering a poly-blend fabric for an MTM suit? Because it's cheaper? It's silly to go to the expense of MTM and then cheap out on the fabric.

Thanks for the answer.

Could you kindly point me to the FAQ you mentioned?

Also, the 100% wool one is actually a tad bit cheaper. I'm considering the blend because the pattern and fabric appeal to me more. I have to note though that due to my limited budget, neither of them are especially expensive.

Law Guy

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

I was just wondering about what might be the correct and best way to protect the soles of leather soled shoes. I recently purchased some allen edmonds park avenues and want to protect the leather soles from water and wear as much as possible. So what is the right way?

Thanks

hobscrk777

Reaction score
You could have a cobbler put taps or rubber insets on the soles. An alternative solution is to try to minimize wearing them when you expect rain in the forecast or if it has just recently rained, and make sure to give them plenty of rest in between wearings regardless of the weather. Many people have a pair (or three) of "beater" shoes that they wear in inclement weather.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jk42
I'm moving from California to the East Coast to attend law school. I just realized that my "winter wardrobe" of a half-dozen sweaters, a pair of wool socks, a lightweight flannel suit, and a lightweight rain coat probably won't do. Am I missing anything indispensable on this list? 1. Overcoat or Pea coat 2. Scarves 3. Cold weather hat 4. Gloves 5. Heavy flannel/tweed suit(s) Also, will my nice shoes (shell, calf) get screwed-up from salted roads, slush, and all the other crap that they put on the ground during winter? If so, how do I avoid this? Finally, do you use an umbrella in the winter, or just kind of trudge through the snow?
A good pea coat is indispensable and is my go-to item, but only up to about 5 F or so. J crew makes a durable classic piece - try to see if you can get the thinsulate lined version. If you get really cold, mitts are awesome. Instead of a heavy flannel suit, I'd suggest corduroy or moleskin trousers in mid grey or dark tan. Don't get dark colors or salt stains will be too obvious. Yes, the salt will wreck your nice shoes - get some workboots (the katadins are a SF favorite) and protect them with sno-seal. When it's snowing, no one cares about nice shoes. In the winter, I rely on my fleece beanie - it should be long enough to come down around your ears. It'd be cold enough outside that you can just brush off the snow. Nobody uses umbrellas in the winter. If it's really cold, then you'd need a down parka with a hood. Canada Goose is the gold standard of course; but you could get others for a bit less. Actually start looking now while nobody thinks of winter. Also consider long johns from the ski shop, if you spend more than 15 minutes outside everyday.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
CardiffTan-DblLeather-zoom.jpg

C&J Cardiff - yay or nay?

Depends. If you're going the college professor look, then it's gold. The CJ wigmore is a more contemporary version. I have one and love it.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tipres
Thanks for the answer.

Could you kindly point me to the FAQ you mentioned?

Also, the 100% wool one is actually a tad bit cheaper. I'm considering the blend because the pattern and fabric appeal to me more. I have to note though that due to my limited budget, neither of them are especially expensive.

The pinned FAQ thread in the Men's Clothing forum has lots of good info on basic stuff like this. Oddly, the particular article on super numbers and wool to which I was referring was not linked there. It's this one:

http://american.com/archive/2007/may...er-super-wool/

As for your fabric choice, a poly-blend is definitely an inferior fabric. There's plenty of inferior 100% wool fabrics out there, too. I am a firm believer in the principle that it's better to save up a little longer and get a quality fabric that will last longer and wear better than to go cheap. In the end, you enjoy it more and you get more for your money.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
Depends. If you're going the college professor look, then it's gold. The CJ wigmore is a more contemporary version. I have one and love it.
Meh, those shoes are no more "college professor" than a tweed jacket or flannel trousers.

iand

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Another question. How do I tell whether Zegna pants are made by Incotex?

Originally Posted by vinasity
The ones that I have come across are closer to US sizes, so it would be a 9US.

jbuffone

Reaction score
I'd like to pull the trigger on a pair of Church's Pembrey loafers. I just don't know if they'll fit. They're made on the 126 last. My Allen Edmonds are a US10. My C&J's are a UK 9 - but are ever so slightly snug. Should I go with a UK 9 or 9.5 with the Church's?

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Law Guy
I recently purchased some allen edmonds park avenues and want to protect the leather soles from water and wear as much as possible. So what is the right way?

Don't go out of your way to protect soles from wear. Adding stuff to soles is like adding stuff to tires; both are meant to meet the road. Water however is different. Tho not wildly popular any more ('cept with me maybe), consider wearing rubbers. They make them now in extremely thin rubber that can crunch up and fit easily into one o'coat pocket.

cardguy

Reaction score
Best suede cap-toe shoes to wear with chinos and jeans in the $100 price range?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cardguy
Best suede cap-toe shoes to wear with chinos and jeans in the $100 price range?
What is your size? Question: How do I determine how much material is there to let out in a sleeve of a jacket? Thanks!

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
Question regarding RL Purple Label suits? I thought they were made in Italy by Caruso....However I recently came across a few that say they were made in England? does anyone here know by whom and how long ago this wasy? Hows the quality and fit compared to the newer Caruso ones? Thanks

Tipres

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The pinned FAQ thread in the Men's Clothing forum has lots of good info on basic stuff like this. Oddly, the particular article on super numbers and wool to which I was referring was not linked there. It's this one:

http://american.com/archive/2007/may...er-super-wool/

As for your fabric choice, a poly-blend is definitely an inferior fabric. There's plenty of inferior 100% wool fabrics out there, too. I am a firm believer in the principle that it's better to save up a little longer and get a quality fabric that will last longer and wear better than to go cheap. In the end, you enjoy it more and you get more for your money.

Thanks. I'll probably go with the 100% wool fabric after all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads