• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***THE OFFICIAL Los Angeles Chat Thread***

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Which flag are you raising this year? The baby blue one? The one that says California? Anaheim? Los Angeles?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

dodgerspatch1.gif

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been two articles in the Times recently comparing the whole experience of angels & dodgers and they basically rip the dodgers. Im not a native and have no loyalties to either team.

Ive been dating this girl who's a huge Angels fan, so Ive been to a few games already this year and its just a better experience overall and making me rethink who I cheer for:
  • Cheap, accessible parking
  • Variety of food and drink at reasonable prices
  • No lines anywhere (food or pee)
  • Wide concourses
  • Mellow fans
  • Cheap prices (ticket, food, souveniers)
  • Great give away's (garden gnome & Rally monkey soap dispenser >> Action figure)
  • Rally monkey is cooler than the guy at dodger stadium who sings
  • More likeable players

Even ESPN the magazine called them the third best franchise in all of Sports in their last issue. In fact, they were slobbering all up on their nuts.

As far as beaches, if I go anywhere its huntington, north side of pier. Even though coming from LB still takes me 40 minutes
ffffuuuu.gif

Love the waves there - though sometimes it does get shut down for poo. In fact, one year I got a bacterial infection from it. Had these lesions on my face, pretty gnarly. The santa monica bay is pretty gross but if you live right there its not a bad option to have.

I was actually thinking of going on Friday during the day but its funny cause I take it for granted now. Havent been in the water in like 10 months
frown.gif
I would go on sunday, but got a TOOL concert up at Nokia
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a Dodger fan my whole life, while at the same time living within 10 minutes of Angel Stadium as well. As a kid and through high school, I went to Angels games all the time. So I have apprehensions about ESPN on the Angels nuts even though Moreno has been a great owner. I'm just not sure if this sticks and how Angels fans would react during rebuilding years when the team sucks. Pre 2002 I vividly remember empty stadiums and more fans in visiting team apparel than Angels apparel. It was only in the '02 playoffs that everyone jumped on that bandwagon, so when they do have a few rough years, how many of those bandwagon fans are going to stay on?

Edit: Angels-Dodgers game in 2002 (maybe '01 but I think '02) at Angels stadium had a "**** The Angels!" chant go on for almost the entire game. Pretty sad when that happens in the home stadium to the home team. But the ole empty stadiums of pre 2002 were great to watch games at though. Always ended up on field level when buying the 2 for 1 $10 tickets in the bleachers (Pepsi can promo), and even walked into the press box and video storage rooms once (doors/elevators were unlocked).

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
I've been a Dodger fan my whole life, while at the same time living within 10 minutes of Angel Stadium as well. As a kid and through high school, I went to Angels games all the time. So I have apprehensions about ESPN on the Angels nuts even though Moreno has been a great owner. I'm just not sure if this sticks and how Angels fans would react during rebuilding years when the team sucks. Pre 2002 I vividly remember empty stadiums and more fans in visiting team apparel than Angels apparel. It was only in the '02 playoffs that everyone jumped on that bandwagon, so when they do have a few rough years, how many of those bandwagon fans are going to stay on?
This x eleventy billion. Angels are such a johnny come lately organization that it's easy to forget the decades of sucktitude. They can't even figure out what geographic location they'd like to stake their claim to...is it California, Anaheim, Disneyland, Los Angeles? Give me a break. Oh, and that article that was written in the LA Times about Angel Stadium being > than Dodger Stadium was written by the same fuckstick (Bill Plashke) who once wrote that LA will forever be a Bruin town and that USC was destined for mediocrity.
facepalm.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This x eleventy billion. Angels are such a johnny come lately organization that it's easy to forget the decades of sucktitude. They can't even figure out what geographic location they'd like to stake their claim to...is it California, Anaheim, Disneyland, Los Angeles? Give me a break.

Oh, and that article that was written in the LA Times about Angel Stadium being > than Dodger Stadium was written by the same fuckstick (Bill Plashke) who once wrote that LA will forever be a Bruin town and that USC was destined for mediocrity.
facepalm.gif

I don't really care for Plashke. The thing is, the Dodgers and Angels are two completely different franchises with different business models. The Dodgers are a team rich in tradition, Dodger Stadium is a place that like a Fenway is not the prettiest of stadiums, but doesn't pretend to be either. It's more about nostalgia and what happens on the field rather than off. The prestige of the stadium correlates to the history of the franchise and the people like a Lasorda/Scully that have made the team what it is. It's more of a comfort food than the latest fad.

Angel stadium is more about gimmicks and off the field lore. The game/team almost comes secondary to the experience they're trying to provide. It's more about families and a stupid monkey jumping up and down. I mean really, if you need to have a monkey jump up and down on a big screen to get people excited in key situations, then that should be an indication that the atmosphere is more about the novelty of the game than the game itself.

Dodger Stadium is more for people passionate about their team and Angel Stadium is more for people looking to have a fun 3 hours with family/friends while a game happens to be playing in the background.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a Dodger fan my whole life, while at the same time living within 10 minutes of Angel Stadium as well. As a kid and through high school, I went to Angels games all the time. So I have apprehensions about ESPN on the Angels nuts even though Moreno has been a great owner. I'm just not sure if this sticks and how Angels fans would react during rebuilding years when the team sucks. Pre 2002 I vividly remember empty stadiums and more fans in visiting team apparel than Angels apparel. It was only in the '02 playoffs that everyone jumped on that bandwagon, so when they do have a few rough years, how many of those bandwagon fans are going to stay on? Edit: Angels-Dodgers game in 2002 (maybe '01 but I think '02) at Angels stadium had a "**** The Angels!" chant go on for almost the entire game. Pretty sad when that happens in the home stadium to the home team. But the ole empty stadiums of pre 2002 were great to watch games at though. Always ended up on field level when buying the 2 for 1 $10 tickets in the bleachers (Pepsi can promo), and even walked into the press box and video storage rooms once (doors/elevators were unlocked).
Hahaha I was a fan of the Angels back when perma injuired Mo Vaughn was their biggest star. '02 was the textbook example of building a competitive small franchise, all of their key players came from within the organization, it was amazing (Salmon, Anderson, Troy Glaus, Eckstein, Erstad, Adam Kennedy, Troy Percival, Scot Shields, Krod). Wish they would go back to that- most of their key players still come through the org, but the whole Texiera rental and signing of Fuentes still makes me sad. Arte is a great owner and that along with the McCourts being terrible owners points to the decline of one and the rise of another.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Arte is a great owner and that along with the McCourts being terrible owners points to the decline of one and the rise of another.

It's been 8 years since people were saying the Angels were going to OWN Los Angeles and it still hasn't happened.

Any day now, right?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been 8 years since people were saying the Angels were going to OWN Los Angeles and it still hasn't happened.

Any day now, right?

Angels are never going to own LA. The best we can do is make people remember there's still another team nearby, and the past decade, we've been doing a pretty damn good job at it.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha I was a fan of the Angels back when perma injuired Mo Vaughn was their biggest star. '02 was the textbook example of building a competitive small franchise, all of their key players came from within the organization, it was amazing (Salmon, Anderson, Troy Glaus, Eckstein, Erstad, Adam Kennedy, Troy Percival, Scot Shields, Krod). Wish they would go back to that- most of their key players still come through the org, but the whole Texiera rental and signing of Fuentes still makes me sad. Arte is a great owner and that along with the McCourts being terrible owners points to the decline of one and the rise of another.
Vaughn sure was a bust once he hurt himself falling in the dugout. Arte is a great owner but I wouldn't call McCourt terrible. Does he need to go? Yes. I would love for someone else to buy the team. But that's moreso because of the damn divorce and not being able to spend money than just being a bad owner. Dodgers aren't on the decline. Attendance figures still 3 million/year plus and they did go to the NLCS last year. Not exactly a team in decline. The Angels have been on the rise since '02, but they were also a Royals level bottom dweller from their inception until '02. But the Angels need more championships/tradition/etc. before they are in the same class as the Dodgers/Yankees/Red Sox...think decades.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vaughn sure was a bust once he hurt himself falling in the dugout. Arte is a great owner but I wouldn't call McCourt terrible. Does he need to go? Yes. I would love for someone else to buy the team. But that's moreso because of the damn divorce and not being able to spend money than just being a bad owner.

Dodgers aren't on the decline. Attendance figures still 3 million/year plus and they did go to the NLCS last year. Not exactly a team in decline. The Angels have been on the rise since '02, but they were also a Royals level bottom dweller from their inception until '02. But the Angels need more championships/tradition/etc. before they are in the same class as the Dodgers/Yankees/Red Sox...think decades.

Decline was not the right word.

Angels will never be Yankee/Red Sox/Cardinals/Cubs/Dodgers club, but I don't think that is the intent. As long as they provide the "experience" Davidko talks about while filling in seats night in and night out and fielding a competitive team, it's all good!

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
only one flag goes up in this town baby you know what it is
True, but I'd still stay LA is a baseball city. It's dominant at ALL levels. Seriously, LAC is heaven on earth for preps baseball talent, although mostly in the San Fernando area (played Chatsworth in a tourny once and
ffffuuuu.gif
, their number 3 guy was throwing so hard I wanted to **** my pants; also was a freshman when Trevor Bell pitched for our rival school) and out near San Bernandino county. The college teams here are historically strong (Fullerton, Long Beach State, UCLA, USC). The pro teams have both been in the playoffs 6/7 times this decade.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Angels are never going to own LA. The best we can do is make people remember there's still another team nearby, and the past decade, we've been doing a pretty damn good job at it.
Decline was not the right word. Angels will never be Yankee/Red Sox/Cardinals/Cubs/Dodgers club, but I don't think that is the intent. As long as they provide the "experience" Davidko talks about while filling in seats night in and night out and fielding a competitive team, it's all good!
That I can agree with and get behind. Hell, I rooted for the Angels in the WC, more because I wanted the Giants to lose, but I still rooted for them either way. I thought it was great that there were two strong teams in Southern California, but when they changed their name to The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, all bets were off. By far, one of the most transparent douchey moves in sports history....the marketing/billboard campaign in and around Los Angeles County, and LA Times advertisement at the stadium, further exemplified it. It's stupid, a slap in the face to native OC/Anaheim-ers, and totally incongruous with the "fun vibe, family atmosphere, great place to watch a game" niche everyone seems to be buying into. How does changing the team name/geography (for the 4th time) accomplish that goal?? Arte Moreno totally made a move to dominate LA and so far, in that regard, he has failed miserably. I hope he continues to fail miserably until he dies or sells the team.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hard to blame a team and group of fans for poor management. Would I follow a ****** team? Nope. SO they got better and have support, thats cool.

Same thing will happen when/if the clippers get better. right now no one goes and you cant blame them for not wanting to see a crappy product, loyalties be damned. But get to the playoffs and everyone will come outta the woodworks.

Well Im super pumped. I just rage against the machine is playing at the paladium next friday. I literally have a boner.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I know there are a couple threads throughout the food forum, but I thought I'd ask it here as well.....

Anyone have suggestions for a good restaurant in LA? Haven't had a good meal in a while and wanted to take the lady out.

Here's a couple places I'm considering:

Drago Centro in DT
Chaya Downtown
Pizzeria Mozza
Bazaar at SLS

Any other recommendations? Thoughts on the current list?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads