• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a jacket made: functional buttons question

viator

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having my first bespoke sport coat made. I asked the tailor/representative about functional buttonholes. He said that the house standard is to make the bottom two sleeve buttons functional only, but that they would be happy to make all the buttons functional if that's what I prefer. The rationale for the house default had something to do with making alterations easier in the future.

I don't really have a strong preference on this, but I thought I would ask for opinions. I doubt I would ever leave all 3-4 buttons unbuttoned (or any, really). Is there a good reason for preferring one option over the other?

satorstyle

Reaction score
With a bespoke piece chances of the length of your arms changing that much would be unlikely. If you're planning on giving the jacket away sometime in the future than the two non working buttons would be best. All in all it's your call.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator

Hi all,

I am having my first bespoke sport coat made. I asked the tailor/representative about functional buttonholes. He said that the house standard is to make the bottom two sleeve buttons functional only, but that they would be happy to make all the buttons functional if that's what I prefer. The rationale for the house default had something to do with making alterations easier in the future.

I don't really have a strong preference on this, but I thought I would ask for opinions. I doubt I would ever leave all 3-4 buttons unbuttoned (or any, really). Is there a good reason for preferring one option over the other?

I like surgeon's cuffs (a.k.a. working buttonholes). They're a very good look. You'll be the envy of all your less-well-dressed friends.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
These should prove very useful if you ever need to perform surgery in that jacket

kraftar

Reaction score
it's up to you, but I usually go either 2 working & 2 sham or all 4 sham. It just makes it easier to do any sleeve alterations in the future (espec if you resell or give away the jacket).

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just be sure to keep one or two left undown when you wear them to let people around you know you have exquisite taste
smile.gif

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj2009
Are you still growing? If not, their default makes no sense. By all means, it is the bottom button holes, not the top ones, that cause trouble if you ever need alteration, especially shortening.

This just isn't right. A bespoke garment is likely to adjust to the body after a couple of wearings and that could make a noticeable difference in sleeve length. Since this is his first time using this tailor, it makes a lot of sense to not open all four right away.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
This just isn't right. A bespoke garment is likely to adjust to the body after a couple of wearings and that could make a noticeable difference in sleeve length. Since this is his first time using this tailor, it makes a lot of sense to not open all four right away.

Really? I never experienced any need for substantial sleeve adjustment after the final fitting before taking the suit home.

But this 2+2 concept seems to be quite common: I have also been asked if I want 2 of the 4 to be working, or all of them.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Really? I never experienced any need for substantial sleeve adjustment after the final fitting before taking the suit home.

But this 2+2 concept seems to be quite common: I have also been asked if I want 2 of the 4 to be working, or all of them.

OP, how sure are you that you want 4 buttons?

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Functional buttonholes is really a misnomer, isn't it? They serve no functional purpose. Why do you care?

Big pimpin

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
OP, how sure are you that you want 4 buttons?
Not sure at all. To be honest, I don't recall whether I requested 3 or 4. I was really letting them guide me on those types of details. I will be back in about a month for a fitting, so everything can be finalized at that point.

This will be a single-button, side-vented, notch lapel sportcoat in a medium brown herringbone. Slightly angled pockets, no ticket pocket. Would you suggest 3 buttons?

Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Functional buttonholes is really a misnomer, isn't it? They serve no functional purpose. Why do you care?
I suppose part of my question is whether there is some reason to care at all. One thought is that it's a point of detail that I'm paying for regardless, so I might as well have at least the 2 that they recommend.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Not sure at all. To be honest, I don't recall whether I requested 3 or 4. I was really letting them guide me on those types of details. I will be back in about a month for a fitting, so everything can be finalized at that point. This will be a single-button, side-vented, notch lapel sportcoat in a medium brown herringbone. Slightly angled pockets, no ticket pocket. Would you suggest 3 buttons?
Actually, that's not *quite* what I was implying:
Yann+Debelle+de+Montby+of+Berluti.jpg
b1.jpg
This may or may not look best with your particular sport coat, but when getting something made especially for you, I think it is good to make it special. So just know that it's an option... The sky's the limit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics