• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Has anyone been to the new art gallery? I've been wanting to go but haven't made it down yet...

i went to the refinery party there and i thought it was definitely nice inside. the karsh exhibition was especially cool, i liked the set up a lot. i heard the restaurant "zinc" isn't that great, but i keep reading reviews raving about how it's one of the prairies' "finer dining" establishments. who knows?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

If it was an old white-haired guy with glasses and an italian accent, it's him. I've never understood doing alterations at a drycleaner.

Oh, make no mistake, I would never get alterations done at a cleaner. I do however, think that a cleaner should be able to clean my jacket without disintegrating the shoulder pads.

...and yes, that was John.

Originally Posted by Stazy
Has anyone been to the new art gallery? I've been wanting to go but haven't made it down yet...

I went to the AGA just last week for a professional private function after hours. I was very, very impressed to be quite honest. The Karsh exhibit was very informative/enjoyable; the Degas did nothing for me; the storm room was eerie and worth 20 minutes or so in silence; the "show" on the third floor (I'll save further description on purpose), however, absolutely blew me away - it is a must see/hear in my opinion. I know people that "didn't get it" and thus hated it, but I think it's fair to say that if you appreciate style, quality, simplicity, and the blending of old and new, you'll appreciate this sort of artistic expression.

Of course, the building itself was a marvel. I was quite happy to see the entrance directly to/from Churchill Station. Security was incredibly tight - at least at this event.

I walked away knowing that I'll be back with friends within the month.

...as for the Hudson's mini-burgers - it seemed to me that it was a usual Monday special. Basically, any of the usual $10.99(?) options for $5. I felt like a thief taking that deal; it's safe to say I'll be a repeat offender.

MrNiebla

Reaction score
Yet another Edmontonian checking in.

If anyone's still looking for a good tailor, I'll recommend Paris Tailors in the Energy Square building at 106 St and Jasper. I've only ever gone there for alterations but he does MTM too.

insaniac24

Reaction score
In Winnipeg for school right now, but I'll be back in a few weeks... It's definitely colder in Manitoba, and the reputation for crime is not much exaggerated... dunno how Edmonton ever had more murders than this place...

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to the AGA last week and really enjoyed it. The building itself is awesome but actually quite a bit smaller than I was expecting. Definitely recommend you check it out if you haven't already been.

blackstapler

Reaction score
Just discovered this thread. More Edmontonians than I thought there would be.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tailor that can do functional buttons on sleeves? I got a jacket that has basted sleeves, but someone needs to cut and sew the buttons holes. It seems this is a bit of a special skill that usually requires a specific machine that not every tailor has. Any suggestions?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every tailor can do working buttonholes by machine, it's not complicated. However, if you are going to do it, have him adjust the sleeve length BEFORE cutting the buttonholes. Once you've had a second fitting, allow him to proceed.

Also, I advise all you Edmontonians to move out of that awful city. Surely you can do better.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure the above is true. Well maybe any tailor can, but not anybody that holds themselves out to be, or an "alterationist". I got a complete hack job done on two coats just trying to get the sleeves shortened at 2 different tailor shops. It is like the folded them and tacked or something. I can not even explain it. Still need to get that fixed.

And, as an aside, I have tried to get another jacket's sleeves to the correct length (or at least not at my knuckes) over 2 tries at Rosens. I think they are scared to go short enough as most men will **** with correct lenght sleeves even if they asked for them.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Edmonton today. The downtown was riddled with verminous adolescents. A guy wearing an unimpressive suit nodded at me, I think because we were the only people on the street not wearing baggy sweats and hoodies with guns on them and he felt some sort of kinship. I did notice a "custom men's clothier" in the bottom of the building I was in, but I didn't stop to chat, although I did think maybe it was a shop that would be of interest to some of you. I think the building address was 10020 101A ave.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Every tailor can do working buttonholes by machine, it's not complicated.
Well yes and no. Every tailor that has the specific machine for it can do it by machine. I've been told by several tailors its not done with a standard sewing machine. The problem is there are very, very few tailors (if any) who have that machine in Edmonton. It's only really useful if you make suits and jackets on site (i.e. you have a workshop for bespoke/MTM suits) and would be of very limited use in day to day operations of a typical tailor's shop if they don't make stuff from scratch. In any event, I talked to John the Tailor and he will do it by hand.
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
And, as an aside, I have tried to get another jacket's sleeves to the correct length (or at least not at my knuckes) over 2 tries at Rosens. I think they are scared to go short enough as most men will **** with correct lenght sleeves even if they asked for them.
That sucks. They can shorten it, but the rule of thumb with salespeople is they'd always rather leave it to long than make it too short to prevent a customer saying they ruined a garment. Show them a pic of what fit you want, and tell them in no uncertain terms you are 100% sure you know what you want.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^This is what I did the second time, less the pic. Still no dice. It is tough, because it puts me in the situation of feeling like a dick to go back a third time. But it is not like I keep changing my mind or am talking small amounts here. The suit as it stands does not show any cuff even with my shirts that have to long of sleeves.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
^^^This is what I did the second time, less the pic. Still no dice. It is tough, because it puts me in the situation of feeling like a dick to go back a third time. But it is not like I keep changing my mind or am talking small amounts here. The suit as it stands does not show any cuff even with my shirts that have to long of sleeves.

That stinks. I can understand why you don't want to go back again. Maybe you should just take it to another tailor and pay a few bucks for it to be done right.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how about these torrential downpours. I feel like I'm living in Vancouver.
cloud.gif

Anyone down for a sugarbowl meet up?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Calgary...went to U of A and graduated this past April...then moved back to Calgary (woohoo!).

However as luck would have it, I ended up getting a job back in Edmonton...so I'm heading back in a few weeks
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads