• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first time at a club... what to wear?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skipper
what about pants and shoes

They are both highly recommended...
laugh.gif

Seriously, don't wear very nice shoes because people will step on them and drop drink on them.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
They are both highly recommended...
laugh.gif

Seriously, don't wear very nice shoes because people will step on them and drop drink on them.

second that,i wore my "royal sceptres" last saturday and ended up throwing up on the left one..damn you smirnoff vodka!!!!!!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i generally just wear a black t-shirt and jeans, sometimes a fitted polo, or else just about any shirt, and then either boots or sneakers, but I guess it depends on the club itself though. If the club has a Facebook page, go check out the pics and work out what to wear from that.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
second that,i wore my "royal sceptres" last saturday and ended up throwing up on the left one..damn you smirnoff vodka!!!!!!

Just buy 2 pairs of reasonably-prices shoes that you wouldn't mind getting drinks dropped on that you can wear to clubs on a regular basis. Keep rotating them. I have been doing that for years. Also, remember that since it will probably be dark in the clubs, most people won't even notice your shoes much, so no need to wear nice, expensive ones. Save those for cleaner, relatively alcohol-free, situations where there is enough light for them to be noticed (and appreciated...).

ALDO sells dorky-looking but inexpensive shoes. You are 18 and most people at the clubs you would frequent will think that dorky-looking square-toed ALDO shoes are the "like, oh so cool", so go with the flow. No need to show steak to people who only appreciate hamburgers!

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Just buy 2 pairs of reasonably-prices shoes that you wouldn't mind getting drinks dropped on that you can wear to clubs on a regular basis. Keep rotating them. I have been doing that for years. Also, remember that since it will probably be dark in the clubs, most people won't even notice your shoes much, so no need to wear nice, expensive ones. Save those for cleaner, relatively alcohol-free, situations where there is enough light for them to be noticed (and appreciated...).

ALDO sells dorky-looking but inexpensive shoes. You are 18 and most people at the clubs you would frequent will think that dorky-looking square-toed ALDO shoes are the "like, oh so cool", so go with the flow. No need to show steak to people who only appreciate hamburgers!

yeah i do and i have,just for some reason that night i wanted to look good know what i mean,plus i was wearing a navy canali blazer with a white Vneck tshirt so kinda wanted to complement that.
i agree with you on nobody noticing,sometimes i do it for myself..you know how you just feel better/more confident when you got the good **** on even if nobody else knows.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This:

w.kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
i generally just wear a black t-shirt and jeans, sometimes a fitted polo, or else just about any shirt, and then either boots or sneakers, but I guess it depends on the club itself though. If the club has a Facebook page, go check out the pics and work out what to wear from that.

+1

WTF are people doing wearing Old Navy cotton blazers clubbing?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you'll need a 3 roll 2 with huge wide leg trousers and a pair of ebay'ed Allen Edmonds seconds, at the very least.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
you'll need a 3 roll 2 with huge wide leg trousers and a pair of ebay'ed Allen Edmonds seconds, at the very least.

BB OCBD and make those AE's seconds long wings
laugh.gif

Seriously it really depends on the club. Some clubs I'll just wear a fitted t-shirt and dark slim jeans with boat shoes or something; others I'll wear something like a medium grey sportcoat, pink OCBD, navy incotex (very slim), and some black leather shoes (easier to cover up the scuffs after). It really depends on the scene. Matt gave some good advice about checking out their FB page or website to see which way the crowd goes.

lol at people not being able to take a little trolling and snark: L2SF

tc6

Reaction score
It depends on the club. For most places, you'd be safe with any shirt thats fitted, not tight but fitted and dark slim fit jeans. If you're wearing sneakers no athletic styles, stick to the more classic styles(Chuck Tylers, Puma Suedes etc..) other wise get some simple black dress shoes.

I go clubbing fairly often and if you stick with the above style, pretty much what everyone else is recomending, you'll look better dressed than about 90% of the guys in there.

And stay away from Ed Hardy and Affliction for your tees and don't wear jeans that are all ripped up(vintage), you're gonna look like a guido if you do.

Also get some decent cologne if you don't have any, it might make a good impression if you're dancing with a girl.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Last time I went to a "club" I wore:
1) Nice, slim jeans, dark blue/black (I went black, as I had just got a nice new pair of black jeans). Wear them as tight as you are comfortable with.
2) Collared shirt. I went with a red/white gingham .. with the sleeves rolled up. Avoid stripes, and avoid blue. Also, for ****'s sake, button up shirt (one button undone, no less, no more).
3) Chucks. Match the chucks with your shirt (if all fails, white chucks match everything).

I wouldn't wear a blazer, and it'd most likely to be too warm for a blazer.

This is pretty much what you need to know. I think a second button can be undone on a shirt, but that's just me.

1. Well fitting button up shirt in a relatively conservative pattern.
2. Dark denim (chinos could also possibly work, but they could be viewed as a bit to dressy. or **** in this situation.)
3. Canvas shoes (dress shoes could also work in this situation, but stay away from shiny leather and square toes.)
4. Don't overdo it with the cologne.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just joined a private social club. What do you recommend I wear to my cocktail reception?

Valproate

Reaction score
Don't wear canvas shoes because some prick bouncer will use it as an excuse to not let you in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads