• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
A small win last Friday at a vintage seconds store. I'm pretty sure the links are NOS.

4786371552_1dab92e5a1_b.jpg

Very nice! And they're complementary.

lynch_king

Reaction score

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
FWIW - older YSL, Dior, and Lanvin stuff is not worth picking up unless it fits you perfectly. The value/desirability is almost non-existent and most of it has not dated well.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
FWIW - older YSL, Dior, and Lanvin stuff is not worth picking up unless it fits you perfectly. The value/desirability is almost non-existent and most of it has not dated well.

aww okay well **** prob stuck with it. whats brands is there a market for other than zegna?

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
aww okay well **** prob stuck with it. whats brands is there a market for other than zegna?

Take some time and read this thread....all the way back to the beginning. There is also a ranking of suit brand names that you can find here, do a search. It may take an hour or 2 but you'll know the major brands by then. There are some very good brands that are undervalued as far as re-sale like Samuelsohn for instance. I have found several REALLY nice Samuelsohn suits and jackets that I have kept and gotten for a song. It would be pretty tough to sell them though.

So keep in mind selling vs. keeping when you thrift. But again, you will get a much better idea after spending some time on the 2 threads I mentioned.

najpie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak

damn. I saw Lanvin and snapped it up beause I hadn't seen it before. oh well. guess i'll eat the $9... or turn the lanvin buttons into cufflinks!

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
Take some time and read this thread....all the way back to the beginning. There is also a ranking of suit brand names that you can find here, do a search. It may take an hour or 2 but you'll know the major brands by then. There are some very good brands that are undervalued as far as re-sale like Samuelsohn for instance. I have found several REALLY nice Samuelsohn suits and jackets that I have kept and gotten for a song. It would be pretty tough to sell them though.

So keep in mind selling vs. keeping when you thrift. But again, you will get a much better idea after spending some time on the 2 threads I mentioned.

i did that last month, saw alot of people picking up YSL so i thought yeah might as well.

i paid $13 for it.

though, oh well i guess i'll keep it.
It fits me a little snugly. i can button it up and stuff but it looks like the Ralph lauren black label stuff on me real slim cut , looks too modern? if that makes anysense?

when i wear a 42R i slip my hand inbetween the jacket and my chest, and i can move it about the thickness of my hand.

when i where the 40R i slip my hand on my chest and it's almost snug

wcl

Reaction score
A very trad day today. NOS Sero buttondown in Parliament Poplin, whatever that is, made for a long gone local trad store. Still has the creases from being folded. Also a must iron BB BD. The tie is a Talbott in a nice thick twill. All of the pocketsquare are hand rolled. I don't know why I keep buying them. I almost always use a white linen one.
7710003.jpg

acl1

Reaction score
This is more of an opportunity to brag about a loss, but I saw a mint pair of RRL officer's chinos in size 32 for $45 today. Left for a few seconds to help my sister with some jeans and some fat mofo grabbed it off the rack. At the counter I heard him mumbling about how he'd lost a pair of pants just like these. right. fat f**k.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Was at my local Salvation Army yesterday, and saw a great pair of Allen Edmonds chukka boots in like-new condition -- soft brown leather, with a strap going all the way around. But I had to pass because of the size - 13AAA. Couldn't possibly squeeze my 11.5 feet into them, and resale might be hard with that unusual size...

HOWEVER I did see an interesting little round end table with two opposing drawers and two opposing pull-outs. It had some scratches on the top, but the quality of the piece was evident. Looked kind of like this:

bs341-24.jpg

So I took out one of the drawers... had all the telltale signs of a quality piece -- dovetailing, solid wood on the sides and bottom of the drawer, reinforced points, etc. Then imagine my surprise when inside the drawer there's a metal oval plaque that reads "Baker"! So I guess when this piece was new, it cost between $2,000 and $4,000? That's what they seem to go for at the Baker store. Admittedly I'm a furniture newb, but isn't this the equivalent of finding a Kiton suit at a thrift shop? Has anybody else ever found any Baker or other high-end furniture at a thrift?

So tomorrow night I'm going to drop it off with a furniture restorer who will take out the scratches and basically get it looking like new for about $200...

I'll take pictures once it comes back from the repair shop!

Cost was $39.99... if I had waited until today, it would have been $30 (with 25% off) but of course didn't want to take the chance that it would have still been there today! Gladly paid the $10 "peace of mind insurance".
smile.gif

photos?

floors to go

Reaction score
Found a Brioni for Neiman Marcus 16L french cuff, nice MOP buttons, light pink.

Really excited it was my size, but after trying on the collar was just a little too snug.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Steeze

Reaction score
Unlined Oxxford Summer blazer in Glenplaid. Fits perfectly.

Bernini suit jacket also fits perfectly.

Gotta love LA.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found and purchased a pair of moderately worn Alden 986 LHS size 10 D, $9.99. I wish they were 12E.
facepalm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads