• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jos. A. Banks in general and my experience in Newton, MA

BostonElitist

Reaction score
Guys,

I bought 2 suits for ~$350 on Saturday from the Jos. A. Banks in Newton, MA, which is just outside of Boston. Their prices were outstanding, and I bought two "entry-level" quality Executive Suits, as opposed to the very premium Signature or Traveler level.

I'm getting it slightly modified by tapering the back and also lengthening the sleeves.

Here are things that I was unpleasantly surprised about with this place:
1. The sales man, George, was very nice, but he wasn't a clothing enthusiast .
2. The suits - even the most premium Signature Models - were made in countries like Colombia, Indonesia, and Bangladesh. They look great, but I expected them to be made in Western Europe or N. America.
3. George, the associate there, didn't take my measurements. He only said for me to try on the jackets. This is not professional, but luckily I knew my size.

On the good side:
1. Their 80s 2-ply shirts are $20 (actually $40 for 2), and this is MUCH cheaper than ModernTailor, which would charge about $60 for one. Of course, these shirts are much less customized, but they're still remarkable.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are truly living up to your username.

Well done.

- B

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was walking through the local city center on the way to dinner last week, and a man on a bench wearing a suit said to me "You look like you should be working at Jos. A. Banks." My initial response was almost "I really hope not" but I took a second and realized we were right outside of a Jos. A. Banks so I just said "Thanks." Turns out he was a regional manager for them, so I'm glad I bit my tongue and didn't offend.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonElitist
Guys,

I bought 2 suits for ~$350 on Saturday from the Jos. A. Banks in Newton, MA, which is just outside of Boston. Their prices were outstanding, and I bought two "entry-level" quality Executive Suits, as opposed to the very premium Signature or Traveler level.

I'm getting it slightly modified by tapering the back and also lengthening the sleeves.

2. The suits - even the most premium Signature Models - were made in countries like Colombia, Indonesia, and Bangladesh. They look great, but I expected them to be made in Western Europe or N. America.
3. George, the associate there, didn't take my measurements. He only said for me to try on the jackets. This is not professional, but luckily I knew my size.

On the good side:
1. Their 80s 2-ply shirts are $20 (actually $40 for 2), and this is MUCH cheaper than ModernTailor, which would charge about $60 for one. Of course, these shirts are much less customized, but they're still remarkable.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Well done.

- B

At first I thought "Vox is bored and engaging in a bit of puppetry" but then I saw that Vox was the first person to reply and I reconsidered. Now I think that perhaps his response is a clever ruse. But does he know that I know that he knows? It is all very confusing.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I haven't dealt a lot with Jos. A. Bank (correct spelling), but I have bought a couple of suits for my stepson and a few other items there. Two Executive suits for $350 doesn't sound like that great a deal. Nothing Bank offers is "very premium" (except maybe their Signature Platinum, an example of which I have never seen). The Signature Gold suits are quite decent buys when they're 70% off, which puts them at $328, as I recall. Some people here would disagree with me, but I think they're quite nice for that price.

1. The sales man, George, was very nice, but he wasn't a clothing enthusiast.
A lot of the salesmen I've encountered at more upscale establishments than JAB have not been "clothing enthusiasts," either. A few weren't even very nice.

What do you expect at those prices?

It's fairly rare for salesmen to take your measurements anywhere unless there is considerable uncertainty about your size. A good salesman can usually assess your size just by eyeballing you.

JAB doesn't get much love in this forum, but I think it is okay for what it is--a purveyor of modestly priced, classic, conservative menswear. I would rate it slightly above Macy's and considerably below Nordstrom in the retail hierarchy. Many find their practice of constantly having some sort of sale galling, but if you play their sales shrewdly, you can get some good buys.

Big T

Reaction score
Kind of a funny story about a poplin suit I bought from JAB earlier this (on sale for $99.00). Anyhow, the suit is for a not so formal wedding I'm attending this coming weekend. I ordered the suit with hemmed trousers. The suit was supplied with cuffs. I called customer service and the response I received was "the trousers are pleated and most people prefer cuffs with pleats". I said I wanted hemmed and the suit was returned to be supplied as ordered. A week later, I received it and guess what? Again supplied with cuffs. This time I got a bit heated and said I wanted hemmed. The third time, it was supplied as ordered.

ilvwhtgrls

Reaction score
Guys,

On the good side:

laugh.gif
It's called a paycheck, most people who work for a living do not have the luxury of being an enthusiast. If that were the case, I'd review strip clubs for a living.

Agnacious

Reaction score
If I were with you and a wild siberian tiger ripped my arm off, the worst part of that trip still would have been having to go to Newton.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
JAB doesn't get much love in this forum, but I think it is okay for what it is--a purveyor of modestly priced, classic, conservative menswear. I would rate it slightly above Macy's and considerably below Nordstrom in the retail hierarchy. Many find their practice of constantly having some sort of sale galling, but if you play their sales shrewdly, you can get some good buys.

Stated perfectly, as only Mr. Libourel could.

I don't think JAB is some sort of hot **** by a long stretch, but I get sick of the bashing it takes here.

If half the guys in my office would wear JAB, the world would be a much better looking place. Compared to what 85% of the male professional population wears, their clothes are very nice.

Just b/c it doesn't meet our absurd standards doesn't mean its garbage.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche

The issue people have with JAB is not their quality. It is their absurd retail prices which are then set to 65% off the next morning. At their official retail price, it is a complete joke.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
The issue people have with JAB is not their quality. It is their absurd retail prices which are then set to 65% off the next morning. At their official retail price, it is a complete joke.

But nobody takes their "official retail prices" seriously. I think, to judge from the threads here on Bank, a lot of people do have issues with their quality. Sure, it's not Oxxford or RLPL quality, but you're not paying anything remotely close to Oxxford prices. And, yes, you can doubtless get more for your money by shrewdly shopping eBay or outfits like STP, but that takes a fair amount of knowledge, perseverance and luck. All I am saying is that Bank is not a bad place to go for a guy who wants to buy a suit and not spend much money on it.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
But nobody takes their "official retail prices" seriously.

That in itself is an indictment of JAB. Why advertise a $600 suit as a $1,050 suit, when in reality it's not worth even $600, let alone $1,095. Also, what about the poor SOB who drops $1,295 on one of their suits not knowing that he is being raped?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Well done.

- B

I thought you had that copyrighted?
confused.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Stated perfectly, as only Mr. Libourel could.

I don't think JAB is some sort of hot **** by a long stretch, but I get sick of the bashing it takes here.

If half the guys in my office would wear JAB, the world would be a much better looking place. Compared to what 85% of the male professional population wears, their clothes are very nice.

Lots of guy I work with wear JAB suits and the clothes are toast in a year or two. I'm 53, born and raised in Baltimore, and for years JAB was Baltimore's version of BB and made good clothes right here in MD. It saddens me to see what has become of the company. Oh my God, I think I've officially become a curmudgeon.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads