• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SPIN: Worst expensive item you've ever bought

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most of my bad purchases are cheap stuff. my most expensive bad purchases were a mens wearhouse suit before i knew anything about clothes, and some wool overcoat that was like 2 sizes too big that only cost like $150

i did get the sizing wrong when i bought my APC's but i flipped them on B&S for not too much of a loss, and then bought a fitting pair on B&S for less, so i actually came out ahead.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
gonna agree on the cheap stuff. i know i caught a lot of flak from people for buying so much from h&m last year and i think a lot of it was probably deserved. i still have quite a few pieces from there that i like a lot but most i'm sick of or didn't age well. they got me through the season and i still think it's a great store for beginners, though.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
Don't you live in NYC? Why don't you go try everything on and then when you find a deal online you already know how it fits?
I will and have done this. My bad online purchases were of things I didn't try on. And yea I don't even bother with H&M these days. There was a period of time where they had some cool stuff but for the most part now it seems all their stuff is lame.

bbhewee

Reaction score
A white EA raincoat 10 years ago... Getting called doctor for a day or two made sure that I never wore it again.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in 06 a pair of Nudies Slim Jims. After like a year I never wore em, hate the back pocket stitching.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
213euj8.gif

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the many regrettable purchases: these polyester-plaid pants by Comme des Garcons. I thought to myself, "I can pull this off" but boy, was I wrong.

I think when I have to reassure myself that I can pull something off it will usually end up biting me **********.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
If I am gonna spend big $$$ on an item, I have to feel 110% about it. Plus I am not rich like you guys. My most expensive clothing item is a $300 coat.
Brilliant, it's like Robbie: The Sequel

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
A white EA raincoat 10 years ago... Getting called doctor for a day or two made sure that I never wore it again.

Missed prime opportunity to be called "Doctor.. of Love."

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never regretted anything I've payed over 50-60$ for 'cause paying that much usually makes me think about it pretty hard.

Lynx_the_one

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *Tee*
Absolutely unrivaled, a Fubu tracksuit + matching Fubu football jersey + Fubu flexfit cap at the age of ~15/about 10 years ago. Although those are strictly speaking three items, it was basically one outfit. What the hell was I thinking ? Tell me... WHAT ?

No regrets about the "Timbs", though.

Where the tracksuit and jersy both xxl?
I really hope you still have these and will post a fitpic with them.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior homme black 19cm jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads