• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Back when many police departments were seguing from revolvers to auto pistols, various training officers would call me--I was editing Handguns magazine at the time--to discuss aspects of the matter. I would always ask them if their department had ever had a shootout where the extra firepower and quick reloading capabilities of the automatic would have been advantageous. Without fail, the answer was, "No, we haven't."

If it were an issue, I would think that a "New York Reload" (back-up pistol) would be more useful, anyway.

I think it's the Georgia State troopers that all get an issue Glock for their belt and a baby Glock in the same caliber (.40?) for an ankle holster.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am very tempted. very tempted. very tempted. first, I hate to say this, but I think I would just about come to fire one again. I spent the best years of my life with one as an extention of my hand, and it would be a huge rush to have one again.

second, if I every did want a firearm for houshold protection, it doens't get much better - 5.56, but as robust as a AK-47, with a nice folding stock so it folds up small.

but, on the flip side, I don't think I need one, and I also dont want to sit around the house holding it and remembering good times. I am not that kind of guy (I like to tell myself)

Nice IDF FAL built on a Brazilian receiver at a good price, from my fave gunshop in Austin:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=178283279

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep looking at the DSA STG58 from AIM Surplus. .308 was down to $12/20 for new Remington FMJ at the show this week - not cheap but affordable, and I wouldn't be going through much ammo anyway.

Still nowhere to really shoot centerfire rifles, though, so I'd feel silly. Though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't lose any value from $1100.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wanted a FAL ever since reading about them in a Guns & Ammo spread about battle rifles when I was like 13. Now, everytime I see one I think right-arm of the free world and of this recruiting poster, which showed up around the English-speaking world, for the Rhodesian army:
Be+A+Man.jpg

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A FAL and a Hi Power would be a fun combo, if only I hadn't hated every Hi Power I've shot.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the time I've killed six men, I should have time enough to reload the revolver.

Seriously, if you have to reload anything, you better the hell have gotten behind cover and preferably have supporting fire.

Back when many police departments were seguing from revolvers to auto pistols, various training officers would call me--I was editing Handguns magazine at the time--to discuss aspects of the matter. I would always ask them if their department had ever had a shootout where the extra firepower and quick reloading capabilities of the automatic would have been advantageous. Without fail, the answer was, "No, we haven't."

+!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
I have wanted a FAL ever since reading about them in a Guns & Ammo spread about battle rifles when I was like 13.

Now, everytime I see one I think right-arm of the free world and of this recruiting poster, which showed up around the English-speaking world, for the Rhodesian army:

Be+A+Man.jpg

I had a friend wo followed the call once. got to fight from horseback.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
By the time I've killed six men, I should have time enough to reload the revolver. Seriously, if you have to reload anything, you better the hell have gotten behind cover and preferably have supporting fire. Back when many police departments were seguing from revolvers to auto pistols, various training officers would call me--I was editing Handguns magazine at the time--to discuss aspects of the matter. I would always ask them if their department had ever had a shootout where the extra firepower and quick reloading capabilities of the automatic would have been advantageous. Without fail, the answer was, "No, we haven't."
ZOMBIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!! 6 rounds is never enough.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I understand the love for the FAL goes more than skin deep, however, if you are going to shoot/own/take into battle, a 20-round, .308 cal. rifle that weights 10 lbs., I would much rather carry the M14 SOCOM. Just MO.

springfield-1.gif

http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory28.php

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I keep looking at the DSA STG58 from AIM Surplus. .308 was down to $12/20 for new Remington FMJ at the show this week - not cheap but affordable, and I wouldn't be going through much ammo anyway.

AIM had some Belgian 308 (non-reloadable) for halfway decent pricing a few months back.

It's too bad DSA doesn't have any more Steyr 20rd mags. They were a great deal at $5/mag.

PS I'd get the STG58 over a SOCOM. Mags are much cheaper and it's easier to scope a FAL. Further, a 16" barrel in 308 makes muzzle blast extremely uncomfortable, even with plugs + headset. Unless you have a suppressor I'd keep barrel lengths at 18" or preferably 20".

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Be+A+Man.jpg

I remember seeing these poster ads in American gun magazines and SoF in the late 1970s - even as a kid I thought they were kinda ****-erotic.
smile.gif
I have wanted a FAL ever since reading about them in a Guns & Ammo spread about battle rifles when I was like 13.
In my day, that is what we shot in the Australian Army. There were a few old M16s in my unit that were issued to female soldiers and someone on point or something, but otherwise it was all SLRs. For obvious reasons I am still very much a G3 man, but if I had unlimited money it would be fun to pick-up a civilianised Lithgow SLR here in the US.
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I had a friend wo followed the call once. got to fight from horseback.
I had some great original pics of Portuguese mounted infantry with G3s in Angola and Mozambique in the early 70s on my old computer - looks like I lost those pics in the change-over
frown.gif

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
I understand the love for the FAL goes more than skin deep, however, if you are going to shoot/own/take into battle, a 20-round, .308 cal. rifle that weights 10 lbs., I would much rather carry the M14 SOCOM. Just MO.

No offense meant, but I think it's sort of amusing when civilians talk about the "taking into battle" aspects of weapons (weight, ability to go 5000 rounds in the desert without a stoppage, etc.) - at worst I'd be carrying around a FAL or M1A for a couple of days at a rifle class. I'm not really that worried about the zombie apocalypse.

(Exceptions, obviously - the weight of a carry gun, hunting rifle, etc.)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I remember seeing these poster ads in American gun magazines and SoF in the late 1970s - even as a kid I thought they were kinda ****-erotic.
smile.gif

Kind of reminds me of how one day in the mid-70s I was hanging around in a record shop where I was friends with the manager and staff. Two rather skinny little guys came in wearing "Rhodesia Wants You" T-shirts. Since I was very pro-Rhodesia, I was quite impressed, until they started talking. They were so Nellie that they were like ham actors playing Nellies--even down to the limp-wristed gesticulations! It seemed they wanted martial music for a military-themed party they were holding.

Maybe they did go Rhodesia after all. A lot of the mercenary subculture is/was very gay in a "Rough Trade" sort of way. Jack Lott told me that the bar in Johannesburg where most of the mercenary types hung out was decorated with photos of little nude boys! A Marine friend of mine who cross trained with the French Foreign Legion said that the Legion was also very Rough Trade-ish.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lee209
Nice pics
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I just pulled them off of Google in case someone here hadn't seen the GSG before

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
ZOMBIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!! 6 rounds is never enough.

To be honest, it really doesn't take long to load a wheelgun using a speedloader. Plus the likelyhood of never having to clear a jam, is usually a plus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads