• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
BTW: Rach, others...how long does Pampelune last on you? My bottle seems to struggle to get past lunchtime, which is pretty unusual for me.
In truth I've only worn mine a few times so far since I just got it, but I found it lasted pretty long, like at least a full day. I tend to spray it on quite heavily, and usually on days when I'm hot and sweaty, so that may help. I like the combo of sour/tart with a bit of sweetness. Not as refreshing as a vetiver, but more interesting than a lemon. So I probably get a good 5-7 hours out of mine.
Originally Posted by boo
APOM Pour Homme again today
Looks like Bond is cracking down on eBay decant sales again. I'm getting listings shut down due to "trademark infringement". Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
I might try offering Chanel Les Exclusifs...

I noticed that Bond used to hand out samples like water at the stores, which they've really cut back on now. And there were tonnes of samples on ebay too, which have now mostly disappeared... I guess they're cracking down.
Re Chanel Exlusif's. I'm fairly certain I want a good sized decant (30-50ml?) or Sycomore if that's an option. One of life's great mysteries, why Chanels Exlusif's only come in 15ml or 200ml bottles... $/ml they're not that bad, but who the hell needs 200ml? I guess they want it to be the only one you own or something. Anyway, let me know if Sycomore is an option huh?
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Creed Himalaya. Not sure why this is popular, smells like expensive soap with white musk, I'm vaguely reminded of a weaker Chrome.
Just smelled that the other day and actually thought I had sprayed on the GIT. Am I crazy?
Originally Posted by boo
Viktor & Rolf Antidote today
Tried that the other day actually. It's surprising! Pretty complex with a helluva lot of notes and layers. I'm not sure I really liked it, but it's interesting. I'm going to retest for sure.
Originally Posted by Baron
Kyoto.
How long do you find that lasts on your skin? I really want to like it but I can't seem to get more then 2-3 hours out of it. Have you tried Avignon? Which do you prefer?
Originally Posted by boo
John Varvatos Artisan - It's okay light citrus scent for the summer. Maybe a bit too light, and no wonder they sell in in 4.2 oz bottles. Personally, I need to do about 6 sprays.
Not too bad juice, but I nearly bought one just for the cool bottle! Died disappointingly quickly on me. Another designer frag that was so close but not quite there.
I'm wearing Tea for Two, decidedly too heavy for this weather. I smell BBQ sauce/dry wood with this one, anyone else?
I was just at a L'Artisan counter (Ogilvey's in Montreal) and smelled that one again and it made me smile. That's usually the sign I need to buy a bottle. It does remind me of a hot steaming but tannany/dry smokey tea bag. I'm still not quite sure if it's actually something I want to smell like though, or if it's just a personal experience.
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Tom Ford Extreme.
I like that one every time I smell it. So much better than the regular TFFM. Have you looked at the Japon Noire?

PS - how's that swap box coming along?

Rambo - you still got that other one? maybe we could combine them some point or you could join this one... thoughts?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Rambo - you still got that other one? maybe we could combine them some point or you could join this one... thoughts?
You only love me for my samples...... Well, the first one was a bit of a disaster by the time it got to me. I blame Jinda (btw - this is the correct answer for all of life's problems). All that was left was a sample of Knize Ten that was 3/4 empty, a 3/4 empty sample of Pallisander, and 2 1/2 empty samples of Live Jazz. Otherwise, it was a bunch of crap. The one highlight: the bottle of Jovan Musk that someone threw in. I've got 5 bucks it was Why. I've only been back in commission for a little while now but I've already restocked the whole box. I'm happy to send it out to you MC, so that you can combine them, if you want to front the shipping. I think its probably best to let this box take its course and then save that, and mine, for #3. Let me know what you think.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The one highlight: the bottle of Jovan Musk that someone threw in.

bigstar[1].gif

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea.

I would do this sample box thing again but I don't really have anything besides Penhaligon's samples.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yea. I would do this sample box thing again but I don't really have anything besides Penhaligon's samples.
Damn it! I just lost $5.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You only love me for my samples......

Well, the first one was a bit of a disaster by the time it got to me. I blame Jinda (btw - this is the correct answer for all of life's problems). All that was left was a sample of Knize Ten that was 3/4 empty, a 3/4 empty sample of Pallisander, and 2 1/2 empty samples of Live Jazz. Otherwise, it was a bunch of crap. The one highlight: the bottle of Jovan Musk that someone threw in. I've got 5 bucks it was Why.

I've only been back in commission for a little while now but I've already restocked the whole box. I'm happy to send it out to you MC, so that you can combine them, if you want to front the shipping. I think its probably best to let this box take its course and then save that, and mine, for #3. Let me know what you think.

nah, I love you cause you're RAMBO! Sorry if it seemed like I was hounding you about that box, I just didn't know what happened to you (or the box). Actually, half joking here, I did sort of wonder if something terrible had happened to you. Glad you're back though my virtual friend.

It's a shame about the status by the end. At the stage where I got it, it was mostly interesting stuff. Yeah, I'm definitely ok with covering the shipping to have it sent back here and then whenever the second box makes it back I'll just combine them to set it up for the third one, which I'm planning for somewhere around the end of the year or something. I've got a local group of fragheads that I organize some meetups for, so I'm considering passing it through them since they'll probably have some more interesting samples/decants to add.

PM sent...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep, T, Pamplelune tends to last well on me as well. Though, of course, the nature of it being a citrus heavy scent will mean the top note fades very quickly, but the vanilla/guerlinady/patchoulish base stays for a while.

Kenzo Tokyo again for me today; traveling for the summer means I don`t get to have my usual stash, so I am limited in how much I can wear. It is quite humid and fairly cool today, and the longevity appears MUCH better than when I wore it last time (in warmer weather.)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^Damn dude thought you kicked the bucket?

I'm wearing Tea for Two, decidedly too heavy for this weather. I smell BBQ sauce/dry wood with this one, anyone else?

I get tobacco and Chai tea, and love it in the cooler months. In warmer weather it's a big no-no for me.

You only love me for my samples......

Well, the first one was a bit of a disaster by the time it got to me. I blame Jinda (btw - this is the correct answer for all of life's problems). All that was left was a sample of Knize Ten that was 3/4 empty, a 3/4 empty sample of Pallisander, and 2 1/2 empty samples of Live Jazz. Otherwise, it was a bunch of crap. The one highlight: the bottle of Jovan Musk that someone threw in. I've got 5 bucks it was Why.
(...)

That's a damn shame it came to you like that.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
(...) It's a shame about the status by the end. At the stage where I got it, it was mostly interesting stuff. Yeah, I'm definitely ok with covering the shipping to have it sent back here and then whenever the second box makes it back I'll just combine them to set it up for the third one, which I'm planning for somewhere around the end of the year or something. I've got a local group of fragheads that I organize some meetups for, so I'm considering passing it through them since they'll probably have some more interesting samples/decants to add.

PM sent...

I'm sure Dane has plenty of samples if he's kept his interest. He's been awfully quiet lately, stressful job and whatnot. =(

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Yep, T, Pamplelune tends to last well on me as well. Though, of course, the nature of it being a citrus heavy scent will mean the top note fades very quickly, but the vanilla/guerlinady/patchoulish base stays for a while.

(...)

I tried it again yesterday and think that the transitions are what fool me. There's something there at end of day, but it's so far from the opening that I wasn't sure what was there. Still considering further. May try a bottle from a different source next time.

Today, though...Live Jazz. Starting to become the 'go-to' scent in this hot, humid weather.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Started this morning with Hermessence Osmanthe and Yunnen. Barely perceptable and of what I could catch there wasn't much to think about. Maybe I'm just not genieious enough to appreciate this frag. Another sample (4ml!) for the pile.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I get tobacco and Chai tea, and love it in the cooler months. In warmer weather it's a big no-no for me. That's a damn shame it came to you like that. Today, though...Live Jazz. Starting to become the 'go-to' scent in this hot, humid weather.
**** happens T-Rex. I'm happy that everyone else got to enjoy themselves with it so that makes it a win for me. I agree with you on both the Tfor2 and Live Jazz.LJ has been my standard summer scent for a few years now. I actually got so tired of putting it on all the time that I threw the last 25% of my bottle into the swap box. I just bought another bottle during the Fragrancenet sale.
facepalm.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
**** happens T-Rex. I'm happy that everyone else got to enjoy themselves with it so that makes it a win for me.

I agree with you on both the Tfor2 and Live Jazz.LJ has been my standard summer scent for a few years now. I actually got so tired of putting it on all the time that I threw the last 25% of my bottle into the swap box. I just bought another bottle during the Fragrancenet sale.
facepalm.gif

heh, I bought a bottle recently from Amazon pretty cheap, and then bought two more.
facepalm.gif
But I don't have such a bad case of Want for Platinum Egoiste, anymore.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Decided to wear something different from the summertime big three...drumroll please...Tuscany Per Uomo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads