• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool for Brits to speak American - How about the reverse?

Lear

Reaction score
American speak has made its way into every facet of British life. Things are now 'cool', people are 'guys', children are 'kids' and really hip people (like me) are 'dudes'. All lovely. This is actually how I speak. In fact, I'm know in these parts of the UK as Lear from the block.

So, it got me thinking... does the same happen in reverse? Do American citizens do British speak? I wonder if there are crack dealers in LA saying, "I appear to have not sufficient funds about my person with which to procure said wrap". Are the really cool dudes wooing the girls with British phrases; the educated masses impressing with their use of British spelling?

Lear (in the hood)

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we say uber a lot ..

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is not cool for Americans to speak English.
confused.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to coat hangers "birds" and at one point used a lot of drum and bass emcee-speak, but this made me less, not more, cool.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For about five months after the first Austin Powers movie, yes.

Casey

Reaction score
No, but it seems like girls love British accents in general.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "American" words of which you speak are more cultural affectations that originated in America.

We don't say Freeway or Sidewalk which are genuine lexicographic divergences, we simply have a youth who conform to and propagate the new linguistic trends. If Americans wear their trousers around their backsides, it doesn't make the use of a belt an English trait.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
we say uber a lot ..

You're American!?!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
American speak has made its way into every facet of British life. Things are now 'cool', people are 'guys', children are 'kids' and really hip people (like me) are 'dudes'. All lovely. This is actually how I speak. In fact, I'm know in these parts of the UK as Lear from the block.

So, it got me thinking... does the same happen in reverse? Do American citizens do British speak? I wonder if there are crack dealers in LA saying, "I appear to have not sufficient funds about my person with which to procure said wrap". Are the really cool dudes wooing the girls with British phrases; the educated masses impressing with their use of British spelling?

Lear (in the hood)

I'm sorely tempted to sig that gem.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
The "American" words of which you speak are more cultural affectations that originated in America. We don't say Freeway or Sidewalk which are genuine lexicographic divergences, we simply have a youth who conform to and propagate the new linguistic trends. If Americans wear their trousers around their backsides, it doesn't make the use of a belt an English trait.
Nicely put Bro
smile.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"****" as a casual swear word, which has been popular in the UK for many years, has recently become more popular in the US. For the longest time it was extraordinarily taboo here. It was tantamount to the n-word and other racial slurs in terms of the most vicious words available in the American lexicon.

These days, unless the word is directed at a woman, it's become pretty widespread. I don't know whether to credit the UK with that influence, but I do imagine it has something to do with all the Guy Ritchie films and whatnot that brought UK swear words over here.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
The only person in America who actually tries to look or sound British is Jetblast. I think that answers your question.

imschatz

Reaction score
Not sure about the US, but my part of Canada "Cheers" is the go to salutation for "hip/cool" kids.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads