• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Took the little one out to hit balls. He didn't do very well but he's only ever interested when I pick up a club, so no surprise there. I cycled through the bag and hit the irons well enough, the driver not so much.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Took the little one out to hit balls. He didn't do very well but he's only ever interested when I pick up a club, so no surprise there. I cycled through the bag and hit the irons well enough, the driver not so much.

This was me. Oddly, at the last golf lesson for a couple months on Saturday, I was nailing my driver. Get to the course the next day and worm burners the first several tee shots. I have the cause figured out and it's all me to cure it. When I see that big, long fairway, I try to over muscle it, move my body center vs. the shoulders as the fulcrum, and basically eff things up. I almost need to not look at the distance or something.

7 iron and in I'm killing it though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This was me. Oddly, at the last golf lesson for a couple months on Saturday, I was nailing my driver. Get to the course the next day and worm burners the first several tee shots. I have the cause figured out and it's all me to cure it. When I see that big, long fairway, I try to over muscle it, move my body center vs. the shoulders as the fulcrum, and basically eff things up. I almost need to not look at the distance or something.

7 iron and in I'm killing it though.

Yep, I broke my swing years ago at a course named Longwood, trying to pound it on every hole. That's part of the reason I tend to play irons-only: I expect 220 or so from the 2-iron, and swing within myself because it's a repeatable and somewhat consistent result.

I think it's a self-perpetuating loop, actually.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Played pretty horrible on Friday. Absolute dog **** off the tees. I'm normally pretty good with my driver, but not on Friday. Combining that with not catching a break all day was tough. I spent the entire day in the rough and was faced with hitting behind trees all the time. Shot a 98 on the par 74 course. Started off 4 over after 7 holes too, and then **** got bad. It was either a par or double/triple bogey on each hole. More double/triples than pars.

Cons: Haven't played this course so badly in a long time. Couldn't hit the fairway off the tee to save my life. Way too many drops. Rough kicked ****** as this courses rough is not pretty and if you're in the rough, you're also hitting off a slope which makes it that much worse. Haven't had this many double/triple bogeys in a long time.

Pros: Did have some great shots from the rough, but only because I lived there. When I did hit the fairway or at least had an open second shot, I parred the hole. Chipping was good (except for one ridiculously bad hole). Putting was best it probably has ever been. Hit numerous 10-15 footers.

What to take from the day: Better than being at work, by far. Usually, I'm good off the tee and putting kills my score. It was vice-versa. Irons were decent, chipping was good, putting was great. If I can keep the putting up and do what I normally do off the tee box, then I'm looking at some good improvement. Can't be any worse off the tee than I was so can only score better next time out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oh, forgot the shot that I was most proud of. Ball landed in light rough, not too far off the fairway from my tee shot. Between my ball and the green was a moderate sized tree with bifurcated trunks at about 5' of height. Seven iron, ball between the two trunks, right to the fringe of the green
smile.gif

I felt like Tiger Woods.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, forgot the shot that I was most proud of. Ball landed in light rough, not too far off the fairway from my tee shot. Between my ball and the green was a moderate sized tree with bifurcated trunks at about 5' of height. Seven iron, ball between the two trunks, right to the fringe of the green
smile.gif

I felt like Tiger Woods.

I'll play this game. 3rd shot on a par 4. Tee shot sliced into the rough (typical). Ball behind trees so I take a sand wedge to get back on the fairway as I had no chance of going for the green. Hit sand wedge over the trees and it hits the cart path, then the little stake in the ground next to the cart path, and then backwards behind the cart path in the rough next to the side of a hill and the overhanging branches of a tree. Should be on fairway and pretty mad about that damn stake.

110 yards to hole with an elevated green and 2 bunkers in front. Elevation to green is around 60-75 feet I'd say. Flag in front and the tree branch is blocking off most of the green. If I go too far left, which is about 2 feet from the branches, then I'm either in the sand or it's rolling down the slope of the hill before the green and I'll be playing a 50 or so yard shot next. Pull out the pitching wedge and take aim and stick the ball within 5 feet of the hole, avoiding the tree branches by a very small margin and getting it up and onto the putting surface.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

I felt like Tiger Woods.

Pro golfers generally will not attempt to hit their ball through tight spaces... This is a great way to get double bogeys off of your card!!!

devil.gif
teacha.gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
teacha.gif
devil.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
smile.gif

I felt like Tiger Woods.

okay...this was years ago.

I pulled my tee-shot into someone's backyard, with their wonderful St. Augustine grass. Probably OB, but no markers, so I play it. Trees ahead, just in the line of the green. Played a cut-punch 3-iron that started low and left into the fairway, turned right to the green, landed and started running. Runs up the fairway, onto the green, and hits the flagstick. Bounces 15 feet away and I three-putt from there.
ffffuuuu.gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we are going to play this game eh......ha..

Golfing with a friend maybe 5 years ago. He hit an approach shot pin-high but to the left of the greenside bunker in the rough. Hole was tight over the bunker and ever so slightly elevated, so he grabbed with 60 to flop it over. Takes a nice cut at the ball and blades it, narrowly missing the lip of the bunker by inches, flies in the air across the green, hits a mammoth tree trunk near the base, bounces back towards the green and rests 15 feet away from the hole. most ridiculous thing ever.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Oh I thought the game only applied to our last round. I'll have to think some more about a ridiculous shot, but I had a friend hit a truck while it was going down the street. The street ran parallel to the fairway. It was at Painted Desert in Vegas.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ha well if it was my last round there was nothing notable other than me snap hooking 8 drives into the woods.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
^Oh I thought the game only applied to our last round. I'll have to think some more about a ridiculous shot, but I had a friend hit a truck while it was going down the street. The street ran parallel to the fairway. It was at Painted Desert in Vegas.

I put two balls (snap-hooks) on the Sam Houston Tollway one day playing with my wife's cousins. One went through the toll-booth, even. F#cking driver.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
Pro golfers generally will not attempt to hit their ball through tight spaces... This is a great way to get double bogeys off of your card!!!

devil.gif
teacha.gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
teacha.gif
devil.gif

laugh.gif

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie

devil.gif
teacha.gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
fight[1].gif
teacha.gif
devil.gif

smile.gif
but its challenges like that, that i love about playing.. Nothing like a well planned and executed shot from an impossible spot..

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
smile.gif
but its challenges like that, that i love about playing.. Nothing like a well planned and executed shot from an impossible spot..

Or just a sweet ass lucky one like I had
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics