• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Examples of people who told their bosses to stick it and became successful.

Star

Reaction score
Looking for well known examples of people who told their bosses to 'stick it' (after being treated poorly or patrionised) and went off to become successful in their own right

I can think of:

1) Ferruccio Lamborghini who was laughed at by Enzo Ferrari and went off and created his won Supercar factory

2) John Galt from Ayn Rands Novel Atlas Shrugged who left the Twentieth Century Motor Company and caused the worlds greatest minds to go on strike.

3) Rudolf Dassler who split from his brothers company 'Adidas' and formed the Puma Sports company.

Others...?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is a perhaps apocryphal tale of how azim premji, founder of wipro (multibillion dollar indian IT company) was rejected early in his career at an interview by narayana murthy, founder of infosys, another multibillion dollar enterprise

wipro is now one of infosys's prime competitors

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank Lloyd Wright on Alder and Sullivan.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star

2) John Galt from Ayn Rands Novel Atlas Shrugged who left the Twentieth Century Motor Company and caused the worlds greatest minds to go on strike.

QFT, though it is really fair to use a novel as an example?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

LOL, so fictional characters count? Should we add Scrooge McDuck to the discussion, then?
laugh.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking for well known examples of people who told their bosses to 'stick it' (after being treated poorly or patrionised) and went off to become successful in their own right

I can think of:

1) Ferruccio Lamborghini who was laughed at by Enzo Ferrari and went off and created his won Supercar factory

Lamborghini wasn't a subordinate of Ferrari, indeed, he was only a client of Ferrari. And quite successful at that, seeing as he was able to purchase Ferraris and start up his own sports car firm as a 'hobby'.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tesla and Edison

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Tesla and Edison

Didn't Edison basically exploit the hell out of Tesla? That story didn't really have a happy ending for NT.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once knocked out my boss & the next day his wife promoted me.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
there is a perhaps apocryphal tale of how azim premji, founder of wipro (multibillion dollar indian IT company) was rejected early in his career at an interview by narayana murthy, founder of infosys, another multibillion dollar enterprise

wipro is now one of infosys's prime competitors

When I glanced at this post really quickly, all I saw was "azn zombies" and got excited.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Didn't Edison basically exploit the hell out of Tesla? That story didn't really have a happy ending for NT.

Exploit? Not really sure. But they disagreed on so many things so vehemently -- particularly the whole AC-DC thing -- that Tesla was either fired or he quit (don't remember which). He was actually quite successful for a while, but then his money dried up.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
When I glanced at this post really quickly, all I saw was "azn zombies" and got excited.

Boy, I'd love to read the success story that involves azn zombies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics