• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever dated a woman that was one step ahead of you mentally?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Wasn't there a financial engineering article recently saying the most optimal marriage was to a woman 28% smarter than you or something? That's highly unrealistic for a lot of people.

Highly unrealistic for anyone who reads financial engineering journals, anyway
wink.gif

Poll is biased as most people will consider themselves to be above average in intelligence, and put too much stock in the subjects they are themselves intelligent in.

As long as a woman is passionate about and holds intelligent opinions about *something* I find it usually goes well; it's the people who have no passions or skills beyond watching television and drinking that I have trouble talking to.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
Highly unrealistic for anyone who reads financial engineering journals, anyway
wink.gif

Poll is biased as most people will consider themselves to be above average in intelligence, and put too much stock in the subjects they are themselves intelligent in.

As long as a woman is passionate about and holds intelligent opinions about *something* I find it usually goes well; it's the people who have no passions or skills beyond watching television and drinking that I have trouble talking to.

I was actually considering splitting up the poll to say:

I got more than a 1400 (old SAT) / 2100 (new SAT) instead of "reason to believe", but I did not because:

a) It would complicate the poll for international members
b) People would call me a douchebag
c) People would still lie.

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

I got more than a 1400 (old SAT) / 2100 (new SAT) instead of "reason to believe", but I did not because:

I don't think the SAT is a good measure of intelligence, or intellectual capacity, if it is, I'm ******* doomed.

You are a douche regardless of how you set up the prole.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

d) people can still be morons with high SAT scores, we have plenty of them here...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Wife has physics degrees from two very elite schools. Certainly, she is smarter than me. At least I can say I make more money.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
okay, this is going to sound really self-centered. i'm clearly narcissistic on a few levels though, so i'm allowed.

i consider myself intelligent in the first place, and even moreso in the city i live in. guys who meet me either don't "get" my wit, or else they're initially excited by it. this feeling of excitement wanes quickly though, because i think most men ultimately want a more docile wifey figure and not someone who's going to constantly propose a mental challenge to them. it makes sense that a challenge gets tiring after a while, but i always get kind of annoyed when guys keep insisting they'd kill to date an intelligent woman. it's a little unfortunate, but i'm pretty sure most actually intelligent women went to post secondary and were force-fed feminist rhetoric, and due to this find it difficult to reconcile their independence with being the wifey figure every guy seems to secretly want. if guys have dated intelligent women and not enjoyed it, it's probably for this reason.

You don't happen to own a liquor store, do you?
inlove.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
d) people can still be morons with high SAT scores, we have plenty of them here...
There is no better objective measure. Do you think there is? Your point that people can be morons is true, but directionally speaking there is no doubt that high SATs correlate with intelligence. Would you disagree with that?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
There is no better objective measure. Do you think there is? Your point that people can be morons is true, but directionally speaking there is no doubt that high SATs correlate with intelligence. Would you disagree with that?

Correlation isn't enough and even then, I don't trust IQ tests all that much and they supposedly calculate intelligence. NOt that it matters, you know I'M smarter than you and I can still fuckup like the best of 'em.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A moron on what metric?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Correlation isn't enough and even then, I don't trust IQ tests all that much and they supposedly calculate intelligence. NOt that it matters, you know I'M smarter than you and I can still fuckup like the best of 'em.

I don't think there would be any objective measure through which you could be perceived as smarter than me, except perhaps number of non-troll CE posts.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LSAT %iles IMO. B/C that's a pretty self-selecting bunch to begin with. 99%ile on the LSAT means a lot more than the same on the SAT. Plus the questions are generally geared to favor the logically relentless
foo.gif
type which means a lot more to a relationship, one way or there the other, than having a casual grasp of algebra.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wife has physics degrees from two very elite schools. Certainly, she is smarter than me. At least I can say I make more money.

ehm, I have a physics degree as well, so that particular metric doesn't hold much water, IMHO.
smile.gif

FWIW, my wife is wrapping up her law degree and runs rings around me in certain areas. Other areas, she still calls for my assistance in various specialized and weighty matters (figuring tips, picking up heavy things, squashing bugs).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads