• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever dated a woman that was one step ahead of you mentally?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Indeed. The female equivalent of my gargantuan manmeat would indeed be a clitoris as big as a small penis.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

This is sounding more and more like lady gaga

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you are saying I need to meet a caucasian 6 that is annoyingly sarcastic? My marriage is going to suck.
frown.gif

don't be so hard on yourself...i'm sure you're at least a 7!
inlove.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
This is sounding more and more like lady gaga

At least she would be a step ahead of me musically/sexually.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Dallas-Ft. Worth is not the place to meet smart, interesting chicks. Gold diggers with great bodies, yes. Women who'll want to go see Godard revivals with me, not so much.

One caveat - friend of a friend who may be exiting a relationship (as am I). Hoping we're single at the same time and can give it a run - she's a teacher, studying for her English/lit MA, hot, funny. I would say that in any event she'd realize she can do better than me, but I've met her current boyfriend, he's a loser.

You a student at TCU? If so, you've got at least one hot girl with a brain running around there (though she is not as incredibly worldly as she'd like to think) with a trust fund, red caddie cts w/ standard transmissions, and an attitude/ego to match.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UTA. And I'd feel like a creep hitting on most college girls. The age gap would only be 6-8 years, but in my experience the generation gap is enormous.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
UTA. And I'd feel like a creep hitting on most college girls. The age gap would only be 6-8 years, but in my experience the generation gap is enormous.

I'm glad that you aren't that guy. Interesting you should bring that up though- my ex was with her prof over a summer program at brown when she was 16. ***** was/is crazy. I don't think that she'd date a UTA guy anyway though (unless you're jacked/foreign/name drop something interesting about Monet, in which case you're golden).

Personally I think that I'm at the point where there are few people who really are that entire step ahead of me. For all of my flaws and points of ignorance, I'm fairly quick to pick up on things and can handle my own. That's been the case with most of the girls that I've dated too. They're fairly intelligent and can carry a conversation further than celebrity gossip (if they're interested in that at all). I did know a guy who was that entire step ahead of me mentally. The guy is somewhat unstable, crazy, and a genius with an with an almost photographic memory. One of the few people who are really humbling to be around(no Edina intended).

As far as tomgirl's comment on male/female dynamic- I think that she may have misinterpreted a guy wanting some sort of actual bond instead of being held across a barrier of intellectual banter. It's fine that you're really super duper intelligent. It's dandy that you're smarter, more attractive, more successful, more famous than him, etc. But sometimes you should probably just shut the **** up and be a partner in a relationship. The excitement probably wanes when someone's had a ****** day and someone else is still insistent on demonstrating their intellectual superiority. Sometimes emotional support/just chilling the **** out with a doobie and a few mellow tunes is more important than erudite repartee. I realize that I'm pulling things out of ******, but you seem like the type that just has to test things and poke buttons until they break.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's a difference between educated and intelligent.

Not many women in the world can claim to be more intelligent than I am, but many can claim to be more educated.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grammar fail on your part. Poll wording is correct.
Hmmmm.... We need a ruling by resident experts Teacher or why, but I will buckle my breastplate if you are correct. ~ H

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rockie
Matt edit - ya got it David....deleting the quoted spam here.
hahahahahahahahaha well played
spam[1].gif
, well played. I actually clicked the link
facepalm.gif

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
okay, this is going to sound really self-centered. i'm clearly narcissistic on a few levels though, so i'm allowed.

i consider myself intelligent in the first place, and even moreso in the city i live in. guys who meet me either don't "get" my wit, or else they're initially excited by it. this feeling of excitement wanes quickly though, because i think most men ultimately want a more docile wifey figure and not someone who's going to constantly propose a mental challenge to them. it makes sense that a challenge gets tiring after a while, but i always get kind of annoyed when guys keep insisting they'd kill to date an intelligent woman. it's a little unfortunate, but i'm pretty sure most actually intelligent women went to post secondary and were force-fed feminist rhetoric, and due to this find it difficult to reconcile their independence with being the wifey figure every guy seems to secretly want. if guys have dated intelligent women and not enjoyed it, it's probably for this reason.

I agree with that part. I don't need a "docile wifey figure" (in fact, I don't think I've ever dated a girl like that), but seriously, I get mental challenges with my work, and many times, I'm not interested in coming home and continuing that. I want to relax and enjoy the world. Not everything needs a critique, sometimes you can just enjoy the music/food/art/etc for what it is.

As for dating a smarter woman, I dated a doctor for a while, which didn't qualify her as smarter than me, but this woman was quick, and funny, and enjoyed art. Alas, she had about 5 minutes a month for me. Not interested in that kind of a relationship.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I think the real question should be "have you ever dated a woman who overestimated her intelligence more than you?"

Valor

Reaction score
Most cute asians have not delivered on this front.
Intellectual prowess is inversely correlated with looks. Wasn't there a financial engineering article recently saying the most optimal marriage was to a woman 28% smarter than you or something? That's highly unrealistic for a lot of people.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Intellectual prowess is inversely correlated with looks.

lisa_randall.jpg

Lisa Randall (born June 18, 1962) is an American theoretical physicist and a leading expert on particle physics and cosmology. She works on several of the competing models of string theory in the quest to explain the fabric of the universe. Her most well known contribution to the field is the Randall-Sundrum model, first published in 1999 with Raman Sundrum[1]. She was the first tenured woman in the Princeton University physics department and the first tenured female theoretical physicist at MIT and Harvard University.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Metro,

Come to Princeton those chicks are everywhere and they fall all over men who work in finance.

They'll tell you that they hate materialism but the last ten guys they dated were ether Patrick Batemans, Left over tech stock over-night millionaires, the independently wealthy pilot of a Cessna or a 6'5" tall Princeton Rowing team member who comes from a wealthy family.

I find their faux-Intellect to be annoying but they're usually hot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads