• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chromexcel?

kraftar

Reaction score
What is the difference among shoes made from chromexcel vs regular calf or cordovan? I understand that the chromexcel process is more involved than for regular calf but how does that translate into the appearance and/or durability of the final product?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chromexcel is specific to Horween. It is calf leather, but it is chrome tanned first then vegetable retanned (like cordovan). It creates a very durable, beautiful pull-up leather due to the vegetable retanning. Vegetable tanning also is more resistant to bacteria, and fungus and creates a more durable process, whereas chrome tanning creates a much more flexible, and stretchy kind of leather. Chromexcel you get the best of both worlds. All of the oils used in the vegetable retanning process for chromexcel is what creates the pull-up effect.

kraftar

Reaction score
Thanks patrick! What do you mean by "pull-up" leather and the "pull-up" effect? Also, is the texture more like cordovan (kind of waxy) or regular calf?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The thing is...and make no mistake I think it is a fine leather...is that chromexel is an "oil stuffed" leather. What does that mean? Abandon all hope of a high shine...or even more than a gleam.

emptym

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on "cavalier" chromexcel, DW? Have you handled any? The pics on Horween's blog make it look a lot like shell cordovan, not really shiny but pretty glossy. Nick also mentions in the Q&A on that page that cavalier chromexel is not as shiny as shell.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
What are your thoughts on "cavalier" chromexcel, DW? Have you handled any? The pics on Horween's blog make it look a lot like shell cordovan, not really shiny but pretty glossy. Nick also mentions in the Q&A on that page that cavalier chromexel is not as shiny as shell.
It's a nice enough looking leather but it is better suited to "casual" shoes, IMO. Also just a little...but significant...correction to Patrick's post. Chromexel is not calf, it is cow. Calf is the superior leather--the younger the animal the tighter and denser the fiber mat. And the corium (the grain surface) will be tighter and cleaner as well.

daruma

Reaction score
when it comes to shoes, is there a situation where cowhide is better than calfskin? maybe more durable? can people easily distinguish the difference between cowhide and calfskin?

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
It's a nice enough looking leather but it is better suited to "casual" shoes, IMO.

Also just a little...but significant...correction to Patrick's post. Chromexel is not calf, it is cow. Calf is the superior leather--the younger the animal the tighter and denser the fiber mat. And the corium (the grain surface) will be tighter and cleaner as well.

Interesting. Thank you.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daruma
when it comes to shoes, is there a situation where cowhide is better than calfskin? maybe more durable? can people easily distinguish the difference between cowhide and calfskin?
What is "durable?" What is "better?" Cowhide can be, usually is, thicker than calf. Is that more durable? In some situations, such as when a person is wearing the shoe in a hostile environment and every day, thicker might be better. Cow would also be cheaper. Is that better? Ounce for ounce the younger animal is always the superior leather due to density and closeness of the fibers. But then kangaroo, regardless of age is one of the toughest leathers known to man--ounce for ounce the most tear resistant, and it is usually pretty thin compared to cow or even calf. As a general rule the denser the leather, the longer it will resist cracking and the better it will resist tearing or puncture. Can people tell the difference? Sometimes. Some people. It depends a lot on how the leather is finished. Except for the weight (thickness), I doubt anyone except an expert could tell the difference between calf or cow if both were finished as chromexel.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ounce for ounce the younger animal is always the superior leather due to density and closeness of the fibers. But then kangaroo, regardless of age is one of the toughest leathers known to man--ounce for ounce the most tear resistant, and it is usually pretty thin compared to cow or even calf.

So why don't we (or at least I) see leather goods, especially shoes, from kangaroos? Is it that it doesn't finish/present as well? I'm just curious.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
So why don't we (or at least I) see leather goods, especially shoes, from kangaroos? Is it that it doesn't finish/present as well? I'm just curious.
I don't know. I think it has more to do with public perception than anything else. For instance (and this may have changed in recent years) kangaroo was on the banned list in California for some time despite the "environmental impact" statements presented by the government of Australia certifying that 'roos were nearly a pest animal. For the layman, kangaroo is nearly indistinguishable from a fine grade of calf skin. It would, however, probably be at least a half ounce or even a full ounce thinner than the calf. That said kangaroo is used in more leather goods than you might think. Some years back Wolverine(?) boot company was manufacturing a work boot that used kangaroo. Some athletic shoes use roo. And roo is very popular in Western (cowboy) bootmaking. All that said, cutting economies are perhaps not as good with roo. It is expensive because it is not ordinarily farmed, and it can be heavily scarred because 'roos fight for dominance.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
DW - Thanks for your insights on Chromexel. I have a pair on order and it is nice to know now, before I get them, that I won't be spending future hours trying get a high shine on them.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know. I think it has more to do with public perception than anything else. ...

Thanks much for taking the time to share - I wouldn't have known what to think if I came across a 'roo piece, now I've got some idea!

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl

FWIW, many high end football (soccer) boots use kangaroo leather. Before the advent of synthetics, it was usually considered the best leather for soccer shoes because it is supple, durable, and relatively water resistant.

The Adidas Copa Mundial, maybe the most iconic football boot ever, is made of kangaroo leather, as are many high end leather boots from Nike, Puma, Diadora, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads