• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should a man dress better or equal to his female date

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
+1, this is a world of fedoras, spectator shoes and bow ties. In the real world people dress like the dude with the hot blonde.
While this is the realm of Igents, I somehow don't think that fedoras, spectator shoes and bow ties fit into the SF groupthink. But yeah, equality or near-to is best. To be honest, unless you're a really out of place kinda guy (like conservative suits at a bbq) or real poor dresser, whether you're going to be dressing too formally or not formally enough shouldn't be hard to figure out. Just pick what you think suits the place you're going to and what you'll be doing and get to the more important things.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She can't afford to dress equal or better than you? You show up wearing Vass shoes, etc, etc.
She's dressed head to toe in Wal Mart and still looks good!!
inlove.gif

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What constitutes outdressing a date, anyway? A cocktail dress can be on par with everything from an odd jacket to black tie.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A woman dressing better than her male companion is okay with me.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perdogg

Should a man dress better or equal to his female date ?

Should a man dress better or equal to his female date? I was at dinner tonight and I notice this stunning blonde wearing a tight black summer dress. It wasn't a formal dress, but a step up from her date. I was thinking, should a man dress at least as formal, if not better, than his female date?

Of course men need to dress better than women.

Why? It's because men don't have vaginas.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Usually doesn't matter unless it is some sort of fonction (dress at the same level of formality please or it looks weird).

g00n

Reaction score
if your girl doesn't out-dress you during a date...

1) you totally misinterpreted the occasion
2) the girl doesn't care about you

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g00n

x2.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g00n

Or maybe she has a weird sense of fashion. I've dated a girl who never wore heels or dresses. She hated that kind of clothes. Doesn't mean she didn't care for me. Still looked better than me.
facepalm.gif

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you are dressed well it is usually a great idea to let her be the better dressed one.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if the guy is already attractive and reasonably clean, i like to upstage him a little bit and show off by looking good. why not? you obviously noticed the hot blonde for how hot she was, not because of who she was dating. if anything, he made her look even better by contrast.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
if the guy is already attractive and reasonably clean, i like to upstage him a little bit and show off by looking good. why not? you obviously noticed the hot blonde for how hot she was, not because of who she was dating. if anything, he made her look even better by contrast.

Yes. The man is best when he looks correct. Then the date gets to stand out in contrast.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, one of you is going to be dressed better, by a little or a lot. Might as well be her.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Yes. The man is best when he looks correct. Then the date gets to stand out in contrast.
This.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads