• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Thank god I quoted this and read the part in white, I was about to pull a xenox. Lets just say everyone I know into fashion who used to be into hardcore or metal are usually some of the best dudes to talk to and the few ones who AREN'T socially awkward.
Of course there are a lot of cool guys, but for every one there are 5 virgins who live in their parents basements arguing with people on the internet over what subgenre of black metal some Norwegian band is.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you and I have a VERY different definition of "metal" dudes. you are thinking of mall metal kids I take it?

mattt

Reaction score
Those are the worst, but I mean most 'metal elitists'. I was in a metal band, been to countless metal shows (such as suffocation, decapitated, opeth, dark tranquillity, hypocrisy, etc, not mall goth stuff), so I have some experience with the type of people associated with metal. Usually they are outcasts of society, and their outright expression of their love for metal is just plain embarrassing as it is pretty much the only identity they carry. There are those who are friendly, outgoing, cool, accepting, but MANY are awkward, close minded, pathetic.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's scary is you don't tend to meet the socially inept. Imagine it like an iceberg.

c00kz

Reaction score
The newer generation of metal bands are like jocks, imo. They shop at trader joes, love their fathers, etc.. That might be what scott is talking about?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c00kz
The newer generation of metal bands are like jocks, imo. They shop at trader joes, love their fathers, etc.. That might be what scott is talking about?

Jocks shop at Trader Joes and love their fathers?

c00kz

Reaction score
Well adjusted, I guess. Not adding the title "count" in any stage names in any case

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Lets just say everyone I know into fashion who used to be into ska are usually some of the best dudes to talk to and the few ones who AREN'T socially awkward.
FTFY. In my experience, at least.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
FTFY. In my experience, at least.

If you mean people who were in to ska over the age of 11, dear god I hope you are kidding.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
If you mean people who were in to ska over the age of 11, dear god I hope you are kidding.
I was into ska until i was like, about 15 or 16. My best memories from high school are from going to ska shows. (0)

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I was into ska until i was like, about 15 or 16. My best memories from high school are from going to ska shows. (0)

Alright fine I will give you till 16 assuming you are a little older then me.

My best high school memories are going to see the Hold Steady.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Alright fine I will give you till 16 assuming you are a little older then me. My best high school memories are going to see the Hold Steady.
I was into it way after it wasn't cool anymore (i'm currently 22). But that wasn't why people were into it anyway; it was about nerdy kids having fun and dancing and not worrying that you were listening to what everybody acknowledged was a a ******, played-out genre of music, because that wasn't really what it was about. And, considering it was north jersey, the alternative was screamo, which I could neither take as seriously as it took itself, nor could I enjoy watching all that much.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd Morsel
Needs friend and bows.

centaurs.jpg

quoted one more time for awesomeness

Simion505

Reaction score
I know one friendly, open-minded, outgoing guy who likes all kinds of metal music. He dresses like a metal-loving cowboy.

All the others I know are close-minded elitist nerds adamant that all music sucks except metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads