• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

exhausted

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy my first suit here. I went to a store and tried on different jackets, however, most of them do not sit flat on my chest (due to my benchpressing I guess), what should I do? How can they be tailored to fit me? Right now the lapels usually have a sharp corner poking out midchest level.

yoshii

Reaction score
Anyone know of one?
Preferably one you've used & can personally recommend.
Plenty of USA ones out there, but surprisingly I haven't been able to find any for the UK.

Thanks guys

Deuce

Reaction score
Found an Ermenegildo Zenga suit marked down from 1100 to 560 at an off saks 5th ave, its medium gray, fits well, pull the trigger? Is this a no brainer?

paulson

Reaction score
What kind of shoe tree fit Allen Edmonds Strand and Park Avenue shoes? They are both on the #5 last, and I have tried ordering full toe and combination shoe trees from AE but both of them seem too wide in the toe and can't get all the way into the shoe without stretching it out. Do I need to order trees from another company to fit these shoes?

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by paulson
What kind of shoe tree fit Allen Edmonds Strand and Park Avenue shoes? They are both on the #5 last, and I have tried ordering full toe and combination shoe trees from AE but both of them seem too wide in the toe and can't get all the way into the shoe without stretching it out. Do I need to order trees from another company to fit these shoes?

The combination shoe tree from AE fits my 5th last shoes. It should adjust to the right size using a spring mechanism. Maybe you think its stretching but it really isn't. I don't think the spring is strong enough to damage the shoe.

Korki Bucheck

Reaction score
Dear Styleforum Bestfriends:

I recently picked up this motif belt from O'Connell's

1203360181_martini_belt_navy_on_cream.img

The ends are brown leather and the hardware is gold.

It pairs well with a navy university-stripe shirt and loafers or boat shoes. The problem is the watch.

It seems too casual to be worn with a gold watch with brown leather band (esp. with the boat shoes), and probably calls for a ribbon strap. I don't think a ribbon strap would look right with a gold watch, though.

So what do I do?

streetminimal

Reaction score
GQ says that men who have 'athletic' or wide torsos shouldn't wear a pocket square because it brings more attention to the chest 'than needed'.

http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200...eshow#slide=14

Does the majority agree with this? I have a rather wide torso/chest but not as wide as Liddell's in the link but I'm not sure if I should obey the rule or go against it.

oakcircle

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and have a quick question. Does the Zegna label in the attached photo look genuine? Thanks.

rlx

Reaction score
That is the Zegna label for a made to measure suit.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a suit off the rack on sale for 50£ from like 150£ or something that actually fits decently. i'm happy with it, but the pants are partially lined on the inside front with a layer of polyester (goes from the top to about halfway down the calf) and because of this they make that swishy polyester sound when I walk.

is it ok to cut this lining out? what is its purpose?

iand

Reaction score
I bought a pair of C&J for Peal. They are marked as 9D on the inside with a pen. Is it possible it is 9D UK, or are all shoes for Peal using US sizing?

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
"Is it ok to cut this lining out? what is its purpose?"

Yes, you can cut it out. It's there (almost exclusively on wool and wool blends) to allow for an easier hiking of the knees when you sit, as a buffer between your skin an itchy wool, and to help prevent wear-thru from the inside.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Korki Bucheck
Dear Styleforum Bestfriends:

I recently picked up this motif belt from O'Connell's

1203360181_martini_belt_navy_on_cream.img

It pairs well with a navy university-stripe shirt and loafers or boat shoes.

No it doesn't. It pairs well with nothing. It's dancing Martinis for Christ's sake.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
"Is it ok to cut this lining out? what is its purpose?"

Yes, you can cut it out. It's there (almost exclusively on wool and wool blends) to allow for an easier hiking of the knees when you sit, as a buffer between your skin an itchy wool, and to help prevent wear-thru from the inside.

ah ok, cool. I was kinda worried about it having something to do with the shape or structure of the pants or something.

I suppose if I take it out they will probably need drycleaning more often, and will probably be cooler to wear in summer months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads