• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar width measurement and laundering

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some shirts made over a year ago and the collars now feel a bit too tight. The person I spoke to had this idea of making the collars a quarter inch tighter to help ties stand up better, and I foolishly agreed to this. I am considering having the collars in the next batch made a quarter inch wider but I am wary that this will not be enough after shrinkage due to washings. I am also worried that making the collar a half inch wider will be too wide.

How much shrinkage should one expect in shirt collars? If it fits just right after the first washing, does this mean it should probably be a little wider? How many washings should you do to be sure that a shirt fits right?

If it helps, the shirts I have are in Thomas Mason goldline and silverline. The tailor has been okay and now has a good pattern for me except for this collar issue so I would love to continue patronizing this place.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Shrinkage really depends on the fabric used, as well as whether or not the maker/tailor pre-washes the fabric before finishing the shirt. I have a lot of TM silver and gold shirts (mostly from MyTailor/Hemrajani; a few from a local bespoke tailor), and in my experience, the shrinkage isn't too dramatic. Get measured again for your current neck size, then buy a size-appropriate shirt and see how it goes after 5 or 6 launderings. Definitely don't try to let people talk you into games like "a too-tight collar makes your tie stand out better," and so forth. If it's too tight for your neck, and it's cutting off a bit of circulation to your head, who really cares about how your tie looks?
smile.gif
Collars should be snug, but comfortable. If they irritate you because of their tightness, they're too small. If they hang off you because of their looseness, they're too big. I won't bother finishing up the Goldilocks routine here, but you get my point. Buy a collar for your neck size, not for your tie.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your shirtmaker should know how much to allow for shrinkage, are you using someone you meet in person or is this online MTM?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is someone I met in person and who saw the finished product on me in person during a lengthier overseas visit to a relative.

This is also someone I do not trust to predict the fabric's shrinkage. Nice staff, but with limited knowledge. For example, they made a buttondown collar with no tie space (so the collar is pinched and crinkled above the tie knot) and with no space for a roll (so the collar points bend inward at the points and looks stretched tightly over the tie).

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
in my experience, the shrinkage isn't too dramatic
Are you able to quantify? This is one area where 1/8 of an inch can make a big difference.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Are you able to quantify? This is one area where 1/8 of an inch can make a big difference.
I can't, unfortunately. I have never taken actual measurements. Ballpark guesstimate? Maybe 1/8" sounds fair. But again, so much depends on the maker and whether he does or does not pre-wash.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like your problem is bigger than that. Sounds like the "tailor" is incompetent.

He is:

- not familiar with amount of cotton shrinkage
- cannot make a buttondown collar

Are you getting these shirts for free or something? Why not find somebody competent?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An eighth of an inch really doesn't make much of a difference. Really. After having tried tight collars, loose ones, and just about everything in between I've come to the conclusion that you should wear the loosest one that doesn't look sloppy.

And look at how the collar sits on your neck. The buttonhole is going to be about 3/8 to 1/2 inch across, and the button usually sits at the farthest point out in the hole. But it doesn't have to. The collarband (and the whole shirt, really) overlaps in the front and you can pull a loose collar tighter by cinching down on your tie. All you need is a little tie space.

So go bigger and get a little tie space. If your neck gets bigger or if the shirt shrinks, you'll be okay.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, my experience is that a collar usually shrinks 3/8" to 1/2" from the original size. If the fabric was pre-shrunk it might not shrink at all, or a little less. But that's unusual, most shirtmakers don't bother.

While the shirt's still wet, fresh out of the washing machine, you can stretch the collar band somewhat back toward its original size. You might get 1/4" or so. But you'll have to let it drip dry; if you throw it in the dryer it wont' stay stretched.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
sounds like your problem is bigger than that. Sounds like the "tailor" is incompetent.

He is:

- not familiar with amount of cotton shrinkage
- cannot make a buttondown collar

Are you getting these shirts for free or something? Why not find somebody competent?

+1

Seems strange that a shirtmaker would have no idea how much to allow for shrinkage.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect the shirtmaker just does not deal with clients who wear ties. Hate tie space on my dress shirts, unfortunately.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I suspect the shirtmaker just does not deal with clients who wear ties. Hate tie space on my dress shirts, unfortunately.

facepalm.gif

That like a car dealer who does not deal with people who put gas in their car.

FAIL

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness, the guy is a tailor in Singapore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads