• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your style match your taste in music?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by the recent WYWT talk about listening to this, whearing that, its time to get to the bottom of this.

My style as a teen and early 20s was heavily inspired by music (goth - black ****, hip hop - street... yes), but now adays it seems like the obvious connection is gone. For instance, i wore yesterdays popsicle lfit while I listened to say Immortal, Satie, Johnny Cash and Ghostface. I guess cash would be the more obvious style-wise match with my reg lazy jeans and chambray/plaid shirt approch, but it doesnt really go beyond that I think.

So, is there a connection between how you look and what you listen to?

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not a slight bit.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
not at all.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Really informative guys, way to get the conversation going!

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be considered goth-ninja music?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^you tell me. I would imagine some hard electronic ****, but dont know. What does RO listen do?

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea, but from his shows it seems like something along the lines of hardcore metal/techno. I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for; punk, classic rock, hip hop, ect. Certainly not as dark as my clothes might suggest.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Definitely. But it needs to - when I buy stuff, I think about how it'll look on stage, in videos, in photos etc.

Steggy

Reaction score
Nope. While I have a wide taste in music (from classics like springsteen/floyd/queen/whatever to pop like coldplay/fray/third eye blind/oasis to hardcore/grindcore like all that remains/the devil wears prada/between the buried and me to some rap/hip hop like tupac/kesha/eminem/whatever), I don't think my clothing really shows any affiliation towards the different genres in which I listen to.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I like classical, Jazz and Alt rock, some oldies. My style is currently what ever I don't have balled up in corner. So kinda fits the alt rock grunge I like. If I didn't have to share 3 small laundry machines with 500 people, and could actually wash my clothes, I might wear my nice clothes more then twice.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I listen to such a wide array of music I don't think it would be possible. I would say one genre of music I listen to that has NO impact on my wardrobe is rap/hip hop. Growing up I wore all that awful baggy billboard **** but now that all looks terrible to me, and totally masks my best features. I would say my style is anti-hip-hop, as much as I love the music.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear suits and bump to Merzbow and Oval. So... yes?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
well I guess kind of

I tend to see musicians with style I appreciate, and occasionally imitate it.

But I don't think my involvement in music puts me in a place where my life (the car I drive,the clothes I wear,where I live) are in direct relation to the music I listen to.

If that were the case i'd probably be decked out in AA,driving a prius,in Austin or someshit.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
Pretty much. I'm a gigging musician anyway, so usually dress appropriately when on-stage.

That said, I have a fairly wide taste in music, including some hip-hop, and I don't ever dress like those guys (too whiteboy). Usually mix up some classic looks, a bit of mod/60s Brit Invasion, some more modern stuff, a bit of Kings Of Leon (slim jeans, Beatle boots, vest/plaid shirt), sometimes edge towards harder rock/metal whilst trying to avoid the all-black uniform. Sometimes a Panama hat for a jazzy funk edge, various facial hair configurations.

What would a classical music fan dress like anyway? Tux? That's pretty hard to pull off on a daily basis unless you're in some rarefied kind of job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads