• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ill-designed things that are pissing you off

kakemono

Reaction score
I've never turned my phone off or even to airplane mode.... just let it sit in my pocket. It doesn't affect anything. The law was passed before we had a strong grip on telecommunications and the effect of being inside the tube of metal. At least that's what I was always told. I flew about 75 times in the last year - no issues.

Can openers are stupidly easy to break. Pisses me off...

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Children's fishing poles. When did they turn to such pieces of ****. I have tried Zebco and Shakespeare for closed reel casting combos for my nephew and cousin and both have fallen apart after about the 3rd trip to the lake or get all tangled to **** on the inside with regular use.
When I was a kid, that **** would last. These arent even the ****** like Spiderman poles or anything, its the "big kid" style pole that is a few feet long.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Most wall anchors I have ever tried. 75% of them have destroyed a chunk of my wall, erased my patience, and emptied my wallet to buy supplies and paint to fix the stupid ass hole.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Most wall anchors I have ever tried. 75% of them have destroyed a chunk of my wall, erased my patience, and emptied my wallet to buy supplies and paint to fix the stupid ass hole.

I had very good luck with Wall Dogs.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I have to fly twice a week for work.
frown.gif

For the last 4 years.

I was not aware that SF posting had such a travel commitment

Originally Posted by kakemono
I've never turned my phone off or even to airplane mode.... just let it sit in my pocket. It doesn't affect anything. The law was passed before we had a strong grip on telecommunications and the effect of being inside the tube of metal. At least that's what I was always told. I flew about 75 times in the last year - no issues.

Actually the no-phone rule is an FCC rule and not the FAA. The FAA wants everything off during takeoff (mostly because they want people paying attention and able to move quickly since most crashes occur at takeoff/landing...not because they might interfere). The reason they don't want you to have your phone turned on on a plane is that it puts a hell of a lot of stress on the mobile phone infrastructure. The towers have directional antennas that are angled down at the ground (you know...where people are), it takes a lot more tower resources to provide a connection to a phone that is flying in the sky. Also, towers were designed to make infrequent handoffs, but when you are going 500mph, they have to make handoffs every few seconds which puts a lot of strain on the network.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who designed and perpetrates the design of shopping carts? People realized a while ago that maneuvering wheeled vehicles is easier by pulling than pushing, yet despite the advice of the axiom designers continue to put the cart before the horse. The result is rickety squealing carts confounding housewives trying to steer between the potato chips and canned soup.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Who designed and perpetrates the design of shopping carts? People realized a while ago that maneuvering wheeled vehicles is easier by pulling than pushing, yet despite the advice of the axiom designers continue to put the cart before the horse. The result is rickety squealing carts confounding housewives trying to steer between the potato chips and canned soup.
I'm picturing obese women strapped in harnesses pulling their shopping carts through neon lighted aisles. It is not pretty.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

I think the current design is dictated by users wanting to be able to see the items they've selected in front of them.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I think the current design is dictated by users wanting to be able to see the items they've selected in front of them.

Well that, and what about not having to toss the **** you want to buy behind your back hoping it lands behind you safety in your cart???

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The duty frees do not have such wonderous elixirs; I keep the chartreuse bottles in my check-in luggage.

One has to make do with Dewar's White Label or indifferent champagnes like Veuve Clicquot at the duty frees.

VCP vintage 2002 is pretty good stuff, not in the same league as the bottom rung yellow label NV swill.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Well that, and what about not having to toss the **** you want to buy behind your back hoping it lands behind you safety in your cart???

Do you run along the aisles funneling foodstuffs into your cart? This isn't supermarket sweep. Were I to use one, I'd have no problem stopping my cart, picking up a bag of beans, and dropping it into my cart. I know, I know, it sounds like pretense, but trust me -- I'm really that skilled in real life.

The rearward force problem isn't just applicable to shopping carts. Those scooter things at home improvement stores are possibly the grossest spawning of this inbred design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads