• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor Help! (Odd Suit from Paul Smith)

minervau

Reaction score
Alright, so I just picked up one of the Paul Smith Mainline suits that was on sale on Gilt last week. Just received it in the mail and am quite bemused. I'm trying to decide whether I should return it or not at the moment.

It has working buttons, but the sleeves are unusually long - easily 26-26.5 inches, which seems pretty extreme for a 36R suit. Also, the configuration is extremely unusual: I've uploaded some pictures:

img1456m.jpg

img1455ku.jpg

This length problem is actually apparent in the Gilt photos -- even their model couldn't deal with the sleeves:

medb.jpg

I'd like to solicit the forum's opinions, particular the tailors here. I know that normally working buttons cannot be adjusted for length, b/c you can't just bring the sleeve right up to the edge of the first working buttonhole.

However, I'm contemplating more radical surgery -- would it be possible to literally lop off two inches off the top of the sleeve, cutting off the top two buttons altogether (so that four remain)? The top two buttons are bizarre anyways, one being larger than the others, and one being differently colored -- it's almost as if it's a joke and they are meant to be taken off so that it fits people with normal-length arms who also want a normal button configuration on the sleeves (i.e. four buttons).

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suppose your suggestion could be made possible, but it ould be easier to take the sleeve up from the shoulder.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's only so much it can be brought up at the shoulder without losing the shape of the arm.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I suppose your suggestion could be made possible, but it ould be easier to take the sleeve up from the shoulder.

No. It's never easier to take a sleeve up at the armhole. Besides, the sleeve begins (usually) to narrow immediately after leaving the shoulder and you'd have to make the arm hole opening (scythe) smaller. Minerveau, your idea of cropping the sleeve after the end two buttons just might work.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minervau
Alright, so I just picked up one of the Paul Smith Mainline suits that was on sale on Gilt last week. Just received it in the mail and am quite bemused. I'm trying to decide whether I should return it or not at the moment.

It has working buttons, but the sleeves are unusually long - easily 26-26.5 inches, which seems pretty extreme for a 36R suit. Also, the configuration is extremely unusual: I've uploaded some pictures:

This length problem is actually apparent in the Gilt photos -- even their model couldn't deal with the sleeves:

I'd like to solicit the forum's opinions, particular the tailors here. I know that normally working buttons cannot be adjusted for length, b/c you can't just bring the sleeve right up to the edge of the first working buttonhole.

However, I'm contemplating more radical surgery -- would it be possible to literally lop off two inches off the top of the sleeve, cutting off the top two buttons altogether (so that four remain)? The top two buttons are bizarre anyways, one being larger than the others, and one being differently colored -- it's almost as if it's a joke and they are meant to be taken off so that it fits people with normal-length arms who also want a normal button configuration on the sleeves (i.e. four buttons).

What is their return policy?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minervau
would it be possible to literally lop off two inches off the top of the sleeve, cutting off the top two buttons altogether (so that four remain)?

This shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't mind the remaining buttons being very close to the end of the sleeve.

minervau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
This shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't mind the remaining buttons being very close to the end of the sleeve.

Indeed, this was what I was intending. I think it would be fine to have the buttons close to the end, that's not a dealbreaker for me.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
No. It's never easier to take a sleeve up at the armhole. Besides, the sleeve begins (usually) to narrow immediately after leaving the shoulder and you'd have to make the arm hole opening (scythe) smaller. Minerveau, your idea of cropping the sleeve after the end two buttons just might work.

Not easier but certainly can be possible. I've had it done, it cost a lot but the result was great. Not the sort of thing you get your standard alterations place to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads