• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've just seen that there is a shop close to here that 'should' stock iPads according to their ads and because of the Soccer World Championship they have a offer for a 24 month financing at 0% interest but the offer ends tomorrow. That's too good to pass so if they have the 32 or 64 GB model on stock I'll have one tomorrow afternoon.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Don't bother with the 64. In a year or so I'm sure Apple will release one with two cameras and more memory for less money. I have a 32 and I find it stores plenty.
But the difference is only 100 EUR and that is basically not even a regular dinner for 2 so I'm not sure it's a good idea to skimp on those few bucks.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with the 64. In a year or so I'm sure Apple will release one with two cameras and more memory for less money. I have a 32 and I find it stores plenty.

Interesting, I'm not even able to put all my music and photos on my 64. I had to cut some stuff out.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's completely sold out right now at the 3 shops I've called. Means I most likely won't pick one up this year and next year it's already past half of its life cycle. So it looks like I'll stay Apple free. (why is there no "Slim approves" smily?
devil.gif
)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
(why is there no "Slim approves" smily?
jap35.gif
)

FTFY

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Interesting, I'm not even able to put all my music and photos on my 64. I had to cut some stuff out.

32 is a mistake, IMO, and not even for that reason. The more poignant reason is that iPad apps have surprisingly large footprints. Many of them are well north of 40MB. Those will add up pretty quickly. Especially the larger ones, like games and whatnot.

I don't even bother trying to put my entire music collection on my 64GB iPad, because my music collection -- while currently fittable -- is eventually going to outgrow 64GB anyhow. This is a pretty serious flaw with the iPad, IMO. It should have a lot more storage space than it does. I mean, ****, flash memory's price has come down considerably since the iPod first grappled with the issue years ago. It's still not inexpensive enough to make economic sense for the iPad, I guess, or at least not for another year or two. Very annoying.

When it comes to media, I basically load a couple albums or playlists at a time onto the iPad for plane flights and whatnot. I'll primarily use the Kindle app over iBooks for books. I'll use Netflix for movies (except on plane flights without wifi, in which case I'll load a couple movies or television shows). You have to be picky about what you bring with you on any given trip, because the storage space just doesn't allow for a massive collection dump.

I can't even imagine how many sacrifices I'd have to make with a 32GB version. Doesn't even seem practical, for the most part.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple just opened its newest store near the OpÃ
00a9.png
ra Garnier in Paris. With those black flags hanging above the entryway and the black-shirted bodyguard standing in front of the doors, it looks like a fascist party headquarters.
laugh.gif
appleparis1.jpg

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've lost faith in the world and went to sell my soul to Apple yesterday. I've picked up the 64GB 3G iPad. Usability is very nice so far and it fits exactly to the task I wanted it for. But how do I close an app in a way that it's really closed, i.e. No lingering in the cache or keeping sessions alive? I get messages in MSN even after I close the app and then get the notification (i've found out how to disable that, but it's not what I was looking for). I guess now I'll need a while to find a good amount of apps. I've downloaded a weather app, a spanish dictionary and a cookbook app so it's already improving the quality of my life
tinfoil.gif
Ah, and now I need to find a nice sleeve for it. Will have to go through the 'iPad bag' thread.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once you leave an app, it is closed. Push notifications are sent when the app is closed. As you have found out, push notifications can be disabled.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It is pissing me off that I can't change the calendar to start on Monday instead of Sunday. Oh wait, I can, but I have to change the region settings to United Kingdom.

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

GO BACK TO RUSSIA!!!!!!11!@1

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What Apps are you guys using? I'm constantly downloading and then again uninstalling Apps.

What I've found nice so far:

Social Networks:
TweetDeck - Twitter Client
Flipboard - Viewer for Twitter, Facebook, Newspages, ...
BeejiveIM - Instant Messenger

Location-based:
Foursquare - Location based social network
Gowalla - Location based social network (undecided if it's better or worse than Foursquare)
Wikihood - Information about your surrounding

Usefull:
Accu Weather - Weather App
GoodReader - App for management of files (PDF, Text,...)
Adobe Ideas - Drawing App (good functionality)
iDraft - Drawing App (very simple)
Epicurious - Cookbook

News:
20 Minuten - Free Swiss daily Newspaper
BaZ - Newspaper of Basel

Games:
Osmos HD - Awesome and innovative game
Monkey Island 2 - No description needed
Stick Gold HD - Little simple but fun golf game

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Netflix and Touchgrind are the two apps I use the most (besides email and safari of course)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't use a lot of storage on my iPhone currently, only about a quarter actually, and it's a 16GB. Do I need more than a 16GB iPad? I'm really torn among the 16, 32, and 64 choices. I do plan to download movies and books on the iPad, at least that's what I'm telling myself. Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads