• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between RL Polos - Custom fit and Slim fit

aquatherm

Reaction score
Went to my local Ralph Lauren retailer and they only had slim fit polos so couldnt compare the two. I wont really get a chance to go shopping during the next few days thought I'd ask here.

I'm aware the custom fit is shorter and slimmer than the classic fit, so does that make the slim fit a slimmer and shorter version of the custom fit?

Thanks

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim fit will come in slightly at the sides aleviating any unwated material resultign in a less baggy shirt. A custom fit is a fit that is more designed for a specifit body type, so the shoulders and otehr areas will fit a bit diffrently.

jmoody15

Reaction score
It would be best for you to wait for someone else to respond. He's speaking in regards to "slim fit" vs. "custom fit" in general - not in regards to experience he has with Ralph Lauren polos.

You'll learn that bowtielover reads 30% of the original post, and quits once he thinks he knows the answer to your question.

Sadly, I have no experience to help you out in this matter, but am curious to hear the responses. Just for clarification, are you referring to the actual "Polo" shirt, or are we talking a purple/black label thing?

aquatherm

Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

I'm talking about the polo shirts

Mata_Leao

Reaction score
I was actually wondering about this same distinction a few days ago when someone posted about a sale on RL Polos. From their website, it sounded like the "slim" fit polos might be slimmer than the "custom" ones, but it was not entirely clear.

ff4marvel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mata_Leao
I was actually wondering about this same distinction a few days ago when someone posted about a sale on RL Polos. From their website, it sounded like the "slim" fit polos might be slimmer than the "custom" ones, but it was not entirely clear.

From the website:

Custom Fit = "Short-sleeved polo shirt, cut for a trim, modern fit in breathable cotton mesh with higher armholes and a shorter hem than the classic. "

Slim Fit = "The latest interpretation of our iconic mesh shirt offers a contemporary tailored fit, with a narrower chest and shorter body length than the original."

To me, those sound almost like two different ways of saying the same thing....can anyone clarify the difference? Is there a difference?

aquatherm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ff4marvel
Slim Fit = "The latest interpretation of our iconic mesh shirt offers a contemporary tailored fit, with a narrower chest and shorter body length than the original."
I saw that too. When it mentions 'original' is it referring to the classic fit? Because the custom fit also fits that description.

ff4marvel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aquatherm
I saw that too. When it mentions 'original' is it referring to the classic fit? Because the custom fit also fits that description.

I believe that refers to the Classic Fit, yes, but you're right that the Custom Fit seems to also meet this description.

I find it interesting that RL chose to emphasize the "higher armholes and a shorter hem" of the Custom Fit while emphasizing the "narrower chest and shorter body length" of the Slim Fit. Is this meant to suggest that one fit has two of these features, while the other has the other two? Are they essentially two different slimmer versions of the Classic Fit?

aquatherm

Reaction score
Something I found on a retailers website:

'The new slim-fit Polo is similar in shape to the custom-fit Polo. A little slimmer on the body, about 1inch difference in all. The main difference is the fact that it is about 2.5 inches in length shorter than the custom-fit Polo, also the hem at the back is longer than the front, but again a less pronounced difference than on the custom fit. So to sum up the new shape, a little slimmer in the body, but a lot shorter and neater.'

jmoody15

Reaction score
Sounds like the custom fit works for me - I've got too long of a torso to fit into Lacoste, so I'm guessing this will be a better fit

ff4marvel

Reaction score
Can anyone with experience with both the Custom and Slim Fit polos (or even just one of the two) comment? I'd be interested to know if people have found the fit to be significantly better on one versus the other...

Sydguy

Reaction score
I have a custom and one with no designation, so I guess it is a standard polo.

The custom has shorter sleeve length, the sleeve will ride up over bicep but not down, annoying me to no end.
I find the custom to be the same length as the normal polo. It is no slimmer than the normal in fact the normal appears more fitted when I am wearing it.
Side by side you can not spot any difference, I guess you could get a tape out and measure the hell out of it to find a few cm here or there.
My wife has never noticed any difference other than I preference the Normal, but everyone will be different so just try them all on I guess.
I prefer both to my Lacoste polo if that is any help either! And my polo's are almost 2 years old so might be new versions around?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads