• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Death or This God-awful threak?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
It's indisputable that the number of calories obtainable per acre of farmland is much, much higher for grain and vegetables than for meat, even leaving aside the animal suffering involved. Are there major ecological issues with the way all food is produced in the world today? Of course. But then I haven't seen anyone claiming otherwise. Have fun with your straw men.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What is also indisputable is that gigantic tracts of non-arable land produce meat.
OK, gents, I know it's inconvenient to let facts get in the way, but Slate examined this very question: http://www.slate.com/id/2176420

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What is also indisputable is that gigantic tracts of non-arable land produce meat.

You're right. I'm not arguing that we should stop using non-arable land for those purposes. I just find it laughable when people argue that adding land for vegetable farming is wasteful or bad for the environment when how many millions of acres of pristine rainforest have been destroyed for cattle farming, and the insult to injury is how much more productive vegetable farming is, in terms of feeding the world.

If we have to destroy forests to grow food (and I don't necessarily think we do), we might as well make the most of it. Using non-arable land to grow livestock (or the sea, gome) is in line with that principle.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
a recent Cornell University study concluded that modest carnivorousness may actually be better for the environment than outright vegetarianism, since cattle can graze on inferior land not suitable for crops
IC

Valor

Reaction score
I have a question for you vegetarians out there, why won't you eat meat?

Will you eat fish? Oysters?

Is it because of animal suffering? Not all animals feel pain for instance.
How did you draw an arbitrary line between the Animal and plant kingdoms and decide one was ok and another was not?

What's the logical basis for being a vegetarian?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
IC

You must really be kidding. You pull a quote completely out of context, when the next paragraph partially refutes it:

But there are important caveats to the Cornell study: First, its calculations assume that all meat is raised locally, rather than frozen and trucked cross-country; second, the study recommended that to optimize land use, residents of New York state (where the research was conducted) limit their meat and egg consumption to two cooked ounces per day"”3.8 ounces less than the national average.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my cousins turned into a raw vegan after college. He used to weigh around 250 lbs, now is down around 160 and is as tall as me. Though, he looks like death.

I guess he was visiting his brothers a week ago and had a bite of pepperoni pizza and commented on how good it was, but it would destroy his bowels if he ate a whole piece.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
What's the logical basis for being a vegetarian?

A fair amount of empirical evidence suggests it offers considerable health benefits, including both an increase in the quality and quantity of life.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
You must really be kidding. You pull a quote completely out of context, when the next paragraph partially refutes it:
It isn't refuted, it is qualified. Big difference.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This is the height of silliness.

I call it like I see it. I don't attribute this to you, but there are many others in this thread to whom I do.

Originally Posted by iammatt
lol wut? No it wasn't. It was started to find out how much the various people here valued eating a highly varied diet. I really don't care what other people eat. Why would I?

Uh huh. "Death or Veganism?" = "Do you value a highly varied diet?" Come on now, you even said this was a response to people in the Veal thread. This hasn't for one second been a good-faith discussion of variety in cuisine.

Besides, I bet the average vegan or vegetarian has a more varied diet than the average American omnivore.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A fair amount of empirical evidence suggests it offers considerable health benefits, including both an increase in the quality and quantity of life.
What kind of empirical evidence is there for quality of life? How does one measure it? Utes?

Valor

Reaction score

What if I weight eating meat strongly in terms of utils compared to health benefits? Then I shouldn't be vegetarian right? And did these studies even take into account other factors? I seriously doubt the validity of most studies into length of life due to the exogenous factors.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
I call it like I see it. I don't attribute this to you, but there are many others in this thread to whom I do.

Uh huh. "Death or Veganism?" = "Do you value a highly varied diet?" Come on now, you even said this was a response to people in the Veal thread. This hasn't for one second been a good-faith discussion of variety in cuisine.

Besides, I bet the average vegan or vegetarian has a more varied diet than the average American omnivore.

Tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I started the threak, and it has continued to be so throughout. So you are right, it wasn't good faith, but good fun, at least from my point of view. Anyway, I really don't care what somebody else does. It does bother me when somebody gets preachy to another person about what they should eat, whether it is that they should try liver, eat only vegetables, eat meat, whatever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics