• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick some shirting fabrics

hymo

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy 3 Acorn shirting lengths. However, the online pics of their books, while clear and literal, do not capture the true appearance of their cloths as made-up shirts. I also need some ideas as to what patterns have become your favorites over time.

So, please do pick for me 3 cloths from the Acorn Grange, Acorn Keswick and Classics Regent ranges (not necessarily one each).

http://www.acornfabrics.com/Grange_info.html
http://www.acornfabrics.com/keswick_info.html
http://www.acornfabrics.com/regent_info.html

As to my present shirt wardrobe, I have 5 light blue shirts (in various weaves and in cotton as well as linen), various whites, many RTWs which I rarely wear anymore and the following three:

02-01-05_0109.jpg

02-01-05_0059.jpg

09-02-05_2121.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the Acorn fabrics are very different then the thre photos of your shirts.
Acorn sells plain weave fabrics in patterns
your shirts have texture. or multiple weaves
very different in style

mimile

Reaction score
If you could be more specific about what you want (plain, checks, stipes) and what color, It would be easier to make a choice. Also What suits (color and pattern) do you want to wear them with?

hymo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mimile
If you could be more specific about what you want (plain, checks, stipes) and what color, It would be easier to make a choice. Also What suits (color and pattern) do you want to wear them with?
It doesn't matter whether plain, checks or stripes. My suits are all over the place: light bluish grey, charcoal herringtbone, low contrast bluish POW with sky blue overcheck, a beige linen SC, and a navy DB coming soon.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just buy one shirt length's worth of any fabric that catches your fancy and have them ship some samples along with that order?

The shipping prices are inclusive and won't be any cheaper or more expensive whether you buy one or more fabrics.

hymo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Why don't you just buy one shirt length's worth of any fabric that catches your fancy and have them ship some samples along with that order?

The shipping prices are inclusive and won't be any cheaper or more expensive whether you buy one or more fabrics.

I'm based in Malaysia and shipping 3 lengths is about 22 pounds.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you go through a reseller? Don't. Acorn ships directly to consumers (I learnt that after a lesson) and the shipping cost worldwide is always included.

I suggest you email James at acorn and have him send you the latest pricelist.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
the Acorn fabrics are very different then the thre photos of your shirts.
Acorn sells plain weave fabrics in patterns
your shirts have texture. or multiple weaves
very different in style

I beg to differ, Acorn does sell, dobby, and jaquared style fabrics.

Acorn is good about sending swatches, they usually do it for free. Ask for feeler swatches.

hymo

Reaction score
Did you go through a reseller? Don't. Acorn ships directly to consumers (I learnt that after a lesson) and the shipping cost worldwide is always included.

I suggest you email James at acorn and have him send you the latest pricelist.

James wrote to me when I enquired about a price list and shipping costs. Here's what he wrote to me:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear hymo (name edited, obviously)

We have two collections; Acorn Fabrics which is 36"/90cm wide Fabric and Classic Shirtings which is 60"/150cm wide fabric. I have attached the new price lists for both Acorn and Classic to this e-mail to give you an idea. The price list is split into three: 'A' price is for 60mts and above, 'B' price is for 30mts to 60mts and 'C' price is for cut-lengths. These prices are per metre and don't Include shipping costs or VAT. The fabrics are in stock or currently being produced and there is no minimum order quantity. So you can order whatever you need.

Shipping prices & options:

Small packet mail (7-10 days, not signed for)

1 shirt lengths = £8
2 shirt lengths = £12
3 shirt lengths = £18
4 shirt lengths = £24
5 shirt lengths = £30

International Recorded mail (7-10 days, signed for)

1 shirt lengths = £12
2 shirt lengths = £16
3 shirt lengths = £22
4 shirt lengths = £28
5 shirt lengths = £34

Any shipment over five lengths would have to go by UPS Express. If you also need these prices please let me know.

Kind Regards

James Chatburn
Acorn Fabrics (Cumbria) Ltd
13 Kenyon Rd. Lomeshaye Estate,
Nelson. BB9 5SP
T:01282 698662
F:01282 694267
E:[email protected]

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
I live in SEA as well and James willingly sends me samples. Not the small ones but the ones 1.5 times a passport's size. I would say just take the plunge, you will never regret it (well, unless if you are talking about your pocket)

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hymo, that's a real shame. Even as of April, the pricelist includes shipping.

Might have been a change of policy due to the popularity and cost of entertaining individual customers. If so, just request samples and make your decision after that.

I suppose in my case, there is no longer much point for CMT now.

hymo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorial_marxist
I live in SEA as well and James willingly sends me samples. Not the small ones but the ones 1.5 times a passport's size. I would say just take the plunge, you will never regret it (well, unless if you are talking about your pocket)

Do you have to pay postage as well? Apparently, not everyone has to.

hymo

Reaction score
hymo, that's a real shame. Even as of April, the pricelist includes shipping.

Might have been a change of policy due to the popularity and cost of entertaining individual customers. If so, just request samples and make your decision after that.

I suppose in my case, there is no longer much point for CMT now.

James' reply to me was from the 26th of April. Sigh.

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
FOC for samples. Stop talking, start buying
smile.gif

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I beg to differ, Acorn does sell, dobby, and jaquared style fabrics.

Acorn is good about sending swatches, they usually do it for free. Ask for feeler swatches.

i have not bothered to look at the acorn line in several years.
other then white on whites and maybe some solid twills and oxfords. the styles shown by the op are not typical of what acorn has shown in the past.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads