• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A&S

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Even if not explicit, let's be honest and admit that this board has a strong bias towards drape, natural shoulders and napolitan tailoring. There are dissidents, but the center of gravity definitely is there.

Honestly, I agree. But that's only because objectively it's the best style.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
As said above, it's implied.
Even if you think so, don't you think it would be less inflammatory of you to treat the implication as an implication, not as an arrogant, ignorant assertion of fact?
Even if not explicit, let's be honest and admit that this board has a strong bias towards drape, natural shoulders and napolitan tailoring. There are dissidents, but the center of gravity definitely is there.
Sure, there is a strong preference on the forum, but I'm not sure it rises to a level disproportionate with what's popular in high-end suiting at large. What suit at Saks or Bergdorf doesn't show some trace of "soft tailoring" influence? How many draw directly from Neapolitan styling cues? The whole high-end market has shifted toward soft over hard. Hell, Chan is doing spalla camicia, and their customer base is pretty damned broad. That should tell you something. Anyway, there's a difference between a thing being popular and people claiming it is absolutely the best. Remember how annoying FNB was? He wouldn't have been nearly so irritating if he didn't keep posting responses to what he imagined everyone else to be implying.
Originally Posted by Manton
What the hell, I'll say it.
Noooooo!
facepalm.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I agree. But that's only because objectively it's the best style.

I know that's what you think - and that's why you're such a strong advocate of the style. There's nothing wrong in assuming the role of a strong advocate though.

I am in that camp too although I don't particularly like some of the stuff I see (particularly some Rubinacci) with ballooning chests and large upper sleeves. I don't get the style when it becomes too caricatural but I like it very much when it's more subtle and harmonious.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell, I'll say it. Or at least I will say this. I like it best. That's not to say that I can't appreciate good examples of other styles. I will also admit that some (not too many) men don't look their best in it. But some substantial portion of the time (75%? more?) if I could see the same man in a drape coat and a lean, structured, straight-shouldered coat side-by-side, I would prefer the draped coat.
As is your prerogative. I have no problem with this point of view even though in some ways I think the opposite.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Even if you think so, don't you think it would be less inflammatory of you to treat the implication as an implication, not as an arrogant, ignorant assertion of fact? Sure, there is a strong preference on the forum, but I'm not sure it rises to a level disproportionate with what's popular in high-end suiting at large. What suit at Saks or Bergdorf doesn't show some trace of "soft tailoring" influence? How many draw directly from Neapolitan styling cues? The whole high-end market has shifted toward soft over hard. Hell, Chan is doing spalla camicia, and their customer base is pretty damned broad. That should tell you something. Anyway, there's a difference between a thing being popular and people claiming it is absolutely the best. Remember how annoying FNB was? He wouldn't have been nearly so irritating if he didn't keep posting responses to what he imagined everyone else to be implying. Noooooo!
facepalm.gif

Oh dear.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh dear.

Oh please. I'm being perfectly reasonable and level-headed. Don't feign exasperation.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh please. I'm being perfectly reasonable and level-headed. Don't feign exasperation.
I'm referring to Manton's admission and your 'Nooo...'

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm referring to Manton's admission and your 'Nooo...'

But by quoting my whole post, you strongly implied otherwise.
devil.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But by quoting my whole post, you strongly implied otherwise.
devil.gif

Ha ha, I realised, that's why I clarified it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ha ha, I realised, that's why I clarified it.
Ah, so you mean you expect what you say (i.e. clarify) to trump what you may have previously implied? A novel concept . . .

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, so you mean you expect what you say (i.e. clarify) to trump what you may have previously implied? A novel concept . . .
Were you schooled at The Thinkery?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Were you schooled at The Thinkery?

Actually, I taught there.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I know that's what you think - and that's why you're such a strong advocate of the style. There's nothing wrong in assuming the role of a strong advocate though.

I am in that camp too although I don't particularly like some of the stuff I see (particularly some Rubinacci) with ballooning chests and large upper sleeves. I don't get the style when it becomes too caricatural but I like it very much when it's more subtle and harmonious.

I like the big sleeves (no Sciamat). I agree that I see some overdone chests from time to time.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Err, what?

I don't see any looseness. The chest is slightly built-up, that's the idea, to make it look like the wearer has a larger chest; if that's what you mean by 'making the wearer look heavier than he is' then that's intentional and I don't see how that's a bad thing. It certainly doesn't make the wearer look fat or overweight, in-fact that suppression does the opposite. A large chest and small waist is a desirable, masculine look (within reason, of course).

As for the skirt, it has been exaggerated on purpose as a style choice, this isn't to my taste either but it's something that was done on purpose and isn't the reason I posted the images, nor is it caused by careless over-suppression:

"Described as the masculine version of the trapeze line (or the flared line), the main style points are: jackets and coats featuring skirts which flare prominently at the back, waisted effects and the positioning of buttons that never extend below the waist thus stressing the flared line, which is "echoed" in the outward curve of the cuffs and trouser bottoms - the latter resembling modified bell-bottoms."

And I think its absolutely absurd to criticise a suit with a shapely chest as being 'loose' because it builds up the chest by methods other than "A&S drape"
facepalm.gif

Why is it absurd? You asked me for an explanation of why I found that coat ugly - the above was my reasoning. You can choose to agree or disagree - that's your call.

I don't doubt the skirting was a "style choice" - just that its a very questionable one.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
Why is it absurd? You asked me for an explanation of why I found that coat ugly - the above was my reasoning. You can choose to agree or disagree - that's your call.

It's absurd because you talk about looseness when there is none, yet also seem to excuse looseness as long as it is 'drape'; and because almost all suits have some form of similar structure in the chest, and those in the image are not even particularly strong compared to many others such as Huntsman and the like.

Ignoring the flared skirts the silhouettes of these suits are really no more suppressed or built up then pretty much every Chan or Steed ever posted in WAYWRN. Your welcome to your personal aesthetic opinion, but your odd sense of style seems to think 'ugly' pretty much everything that most people think looks good. You would rather have a flat unstructured chest and minimal waist suppression, making the wearer look like one long shapeless tube, instead of the high chest/waist ratio silhouette that everyone else on the planet finds desirable, and that it has been the aim of tailors for centuries to emphasise.

Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
I don't doubt the skirting was a "style choice" - just that its a very questionable one.

I don't like it any more than you do, but these images are from 1958, fashions change a lot in 52 years. We could look at pictures of suits from the 70's with huge lapels and bell-bottom trousers, but that wouldn't stop us being able to discuss the fit of them without being distracted by the style choices of the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads