• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Death or This God-awful threak?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a tongue in cheek thread about how painful it would be to give up all animal products in your life to become vegan, something that even vegans can agree with. It might be indirectly inferred but it was never stated that veganism was bad, just something so difficult/awful to deal with that you'd rather - in hyperbole - die.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I thought this was a tongue in cheek thread about how painful it would be to give up all animal products in your life to become vegan, something that even vegans can agree with. It might be indirectly inferred but it was never stated that veganism was bad, just something so difficult/awful to deal with that you'd rather - in hyperbole - die. e.g.: I personally agree with the ethical stance of veganism, but I also agree that it is very difficult.
Yes, and no. I didn't mean vegans should die, but there was no hyperbole on my part.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I tell them that they shouldn't crush the ant, that it's hurting them.

I did the magnifying glass thing on ants until I was like 12.

But it was all in the name of scientific discovery
teacha.gif

And then a sno-cone would distract me from the ants.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You've only known the opposite?? What kind of alternate reality do you live in?
facepalm.gif
Toddlers crush ants and pull the wings of insects. They've been doing it forever - and it's nature, not nurture.

I tell them that they shouldn't crush the ant, that it's hurting them.

I think that part of the answer is the development of empathy in children - at what age does it start to sink in and when does empathy for humans starts to translate to other species too. Is that a natural process or simply the result of adults teaching it to their kids?

It has to do with the intelligence level, at the age children may not be able to make the connection, especially with such an inferior animal like a small insect. I thought you were referring to animals like birds, small rabbits, etc. The usual response wouldn't be harm, but the opposite.

Empathy is a natural process for the most part, as it helps humans be a social species. Though adults should help with the empathetic process to strengthen it and apply it to other animals as well. The age for inter-species empathy will vary on the development of intelligence and depends on the animals appearance. Children eventually begin to notice familiar features of humans in animals like ears, eyes, fur(hair), limbs, making sounds, behaviors, etc.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
It has to do with the intelligence level, at the age children may not be able to make the connection, especially with such an inferior animal like a small insect. I thought you were referring to animals like birds, small rabbits, etc. The usual response wouldn't be harm, but the opposite. Empathy is a natural process for the most part, as it helps humans be a social species. Though adults should help with the empathetic process to strengthen it and apply it to other animals as well. The age for inter-species empathy will vary on the development of intelligence and depends on the animals appearance. Children eventually begin to notice familiar features of humans in animals like ears, eyes, fur(hair), limbs, making sounds, behaviors, etc.
All you are saying is that people empathize more easily with animals resembling human babies, this is why Pandas (and their huge "eyes") get a lot of attention while some ugly lizards can disappear and no one cares. It's all about bringing it back to our own humanity, not caring about animals as creatures steeped in alterity.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
All you are saying is that people empathize more easily with animals resembling human babies, this is why Pandas (and their huge "eyes") get a lot of attention while some ugly lizards can disappear and no one cares. It's all about bringing it back to our own humanity, not caring about animals as creatures steeped in alterity.

I'm saying children do

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
I'm saying children do

I am teaching you that everyone does, it is a very well known fact among animal preservation groups. The corollary to that point is that we aren't looking to preserve animals but a certain image of ourselves.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You haven't explained why that empathy or antropomorphism develops at a later stage (may be natural or through parental education, I'm not sure) whereas the natural instincts to kill the weaker insects and make them suffer is there as soon as they are independently walking around and doing stuff.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am teaching you that everyone does, it is a very well known fact among animal preservation groups. The corollary to that point is that we aren't looking to preserve animals but a certain image of ourselves.

No, people don't forget lizards, there are campaigns for reptiles too. If by image you mean only appearance, then I'd have to disagree, unless by image you are considering other non-physical likeness.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I could easily be a vegetarian as long as I could add pork.

FTFY

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can someone summarize "ethical veganism" for me please?
confused.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
laugh.gif

I could probably do the vegetarian thing for a while, most of my meals actually end up being vegetarian anyways.

But I just don't know how I could possibly go "no thanks!" with a voraceous appetite and the scent of pancetta slowly rendering in the kitchen.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one in DT has started a "Poll: Deack or Vaginism?" thread yet. Disappointed even...
confused.gif

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fake butter is so heinous it makes me want to be sick.
Fake cheese, fake ice cream, etc. Do we have an icon for vomiting? I'd still choose veganism. Near-death is better than actual death. And, for a silver lining: There are vegans who eat oysters. Apparently oysters are plant-like, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads