• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I have been playing around with my essence/extracts that I was able to find here in Nippon recently and today, oddly, after mixing together some notes that I like in isolation, the blend suddenly upon application became almost identical to YSL Jazz.

I thought I would get something more like Pamplelune with the added funk of Bigarade Concentree, but inadvertantly got YSL Jazz.

Oh well, we shall try again tomorrow.

How popular are fragrances in Japan? What are the big sellers?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
How popular are fragrances in Japan? What are the big sellers?

Mostly, they like boring, *fresh* type scents, like D&G Light Blue, CK One, though most people tend not to wear much of anything scent-wise.

Heavier scents, especially French ones, go over like lead balloons. Spicy scents remind them of temples where their ancestors are buried or the incense burned on the family altar, and so don`t give them pleasant associations.

To be honest, I have been pretty disappointed in the fragrances that most people wear or like here. Nevertheless, the shopping is great and you can get just about anything. It is just that if you wear it in MOST situations, it might get some really weird looks and quiet comments that you stink.

IronRock

Reaction score
Anyone tried any of the Geo F Trumper offerings? I have just got the Wellington - I like.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
Anyone tried any of the Geo F Trumper offerings? I have just got the Wellington - I like.

I love most of them. Good choice!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ ew, too hot for Angel over here.

Today, Guerlain Vetiver. I need to actually put a dent in this damn tester.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW: Rach, others...how long does Pampelune last on you? My bottle seems to struggle to get past lunchtime, which is pretty unusual for me.

boo

Reaction score
POM Pour Homme again today

Looks like Bond is cracking down on eBay decant sales again. I'm getting listings shut down due to "trademark infringement". Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I have a few extra bottles of ladies Bonds, but fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), Mrs. Boo has taken a liking to them so they won't be going to waste. I might try offering Chanel Les Exclusifs...

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GIT today. Even after working out & a run, i can still smell it on my wrist. score.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
^^^ ew, too hot for Angel over here.

Today, Guerlain Vetiver. I need to actually put a dent in this damn tester.

eh.gif
It was GIT. Based on the above post.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
GIT today. Even after working out & a run, i can still smell it on my wrist. score.

GIT is pretty tenacious for one of the "newer" Creeds.

derekzee

Reaction score
paco rabanne pour homme.

testing a sample today. i already had azzaro pour homme so maybe this will be my next aromatic. rive gauche i dunno. i didn't like the opening coz i thought it smelled like brut deo spray but that was way back when i was first new to scents. is tuscany better than this?

the more i try scents the less picky i actually get. the first time i tried almost everything i liked in the department store. i only liked gucci and acqua di parma but i still remember the ones i did not like and kinda go" yeah i could wear that" or "it wasn't bad". of course they were highly regarded classics like habit rouge.

btw i saw guerlain vetiver in a department store today with the habit rouge bottle. then in another department store i saw the frosted one. they are both authorized dealers. so is that really old stock of guerlain vetiver in the first one? why do they still have it? the habit rouge bottle smelled like weed which i liked. the frosted one smelled closer to 212 for men. i actually have an old old cologne bottle but maybe it has turned.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creed Himalaya. Not sure why this is popular, smells like expensive soap with white musk, I'm vaguely reminded of a weaker Chrome.

boo

Reaction score
Viktor & Rolf Antidote today

Originally Posted by Big Pun
Creed Himalaya. Not sure why this is popular, smells like expensive soap with white musk, I'm vaguely reminded of a weaker Chrome.

I smelled it on a test strip a while back, and I told the SA it reminded me of Ben Gay. She looked like she was going to run me out of the store
laugh.gif
In fairness, my nose was already pretty fatigued by that time.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by derekzee
paco rabanne pour homme.

testing a sample today. i already had azzaro pour homme so maybe this will be my next aromatic. rive gauche i dunno. i didn't like the opening coz i thought it smelled like brut deo spray but that was way back when i was first new to scents. is tuscany better than this?

the more i try scents the less picky i actually get. the first time i tried almost everything i liked in the department store. i only liked gucci and acqua di parma but i still remember the ones i did not like and kinda go" yeah i could wear that" or "it wasn't bad". of course they were highly regarded classics like habit rouge.

btw i saw guerlain vetiver in a department store today with the habit rouge bottle. then in another department store i saw the frosted one. they are both authorized dealers. so is that really old stock of guerlain vetiver in the first one? why do they still have it? the habit rouge bottle smelled like weed which i liked. the frosted one smelled closer to 212 for men. i actually have an old old cologne bottle but maybe it has turned.

A lot of the older ones have taken me a few times to come around to: Habit Rouge, Knize Ten, etc. Whether it means I'll fall out of love later on is an open question. I certainly have a few scents I no longer wear.

As for Tuscany/Azzaro, they are both good, quite similar, but I think Tuscany is a bit easier to wear in the heat.

It sounds like you found an older bottle of Vetiver in the HR bottle...although Guerlain has been doing a lot of reissuing and variations on a theme as of late: whether it's a newish variant on Vetiver...I have no idea. I can't imagine a department store stocking old bottles, though - they tend to push those out like they're diseased.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads