• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
How so?
a) You're going to get the phone before Thursday, so relax. That's the guaranteed delivery date that FedEx provides as part of its service, but they usually exceed that time, and they will for your shipment. b) It's a national holiday, and a long weekend, so it actually ought to be a positive surprise that your shipment moved at all over the weekend, instead of bitching about how it might take a while on the other side of the weekend. It's no surprise that the China part of the trip is well-organized - there's no holiday, and they're shipping hundreds of thousands of these things each day in airfreight cargo containers, so it's no wonder it hopped on one flight quickly. Obviously things slow down as these phones get delivered to the hundreds of thousands of individual destinations. c) Your phone shipped for free, direct from China, overall saving you time and effort and money, and is going to arrive inside of one week. You ought to be marveling at the efficiency and service on offer, rather than bitching on about how one section of the trip is taking longer than you'd like. The problem with giving tracking info to spoiled people is that instead of being grateful that the overall service is performed remarkably, they complain about how one small part of the service doesn't meet their expectations. d) In the meantime, you've ordered a phone with an obvious design flaw. Wonder if you'll be saying "**** you, Apple" when it arrives. Probably not. e) Plug in your computer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
e) Plug in your computer.

This is what makes that post classic.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a) You're going to get the phone before Thursday, so relax. That's the guaranteed delivery date that FedEx provides as part of its service, but they usually exceed that time, and they will for your shipment.

b) It's a national holiday, and a long weekend, so it actually ought to be a positive surprise that your shipment moved at all over the weekend, instead of bitching about how it might take a while on the other side of the weekend. It's no surprise that the China part of the trip is well-organized - there's no holiday, and they're shipping hundreds of thousands of these things each day in airfreight cargo containers, so it's no wonder it hopped on one flight quickly. Obviously things slow down as these phones get delivered to the hundreds of thousands of individual destinations.

c) Your phone shipped for free, direct from China, overall saving you time and effort and money, and is going to arrive inside of one week. You ought to be marveling at the efficiency and service on offer, rather than bitching on about how one section of the trip is taking longer than you'd like. The problem with giving tracking info to spoiled people is that instead of being grateful that the overall service is performed remarkably, they complain about how one small part of the service doesn't meet their expectations.

d) In the meantime, you've ordered a phone with an obvious design flaw. Wonder if you'll be saying "**** you, Apple" when it arrives. Probably not.

a) I am getting the phone before Thursday but why should it take that long? I practically live in Newark.

b) I understand that. However, its not a national holiday Tuesday at the sorting facility.

c) My phone shipped for free, does this mean that I can expect subpar service or slowdowns and not be mad?

d) Hopefully I will be one the few lucky ones where this issue doesn't crop up. Otherwise I will be saying "**** you, Apple".

e) Im on the 1G Iphone right now which is on its last, dying leg, of course Im anxious to get a new phone.

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
a) I am getting the phone before Thursday but why should it take that long? I practically live in Newark. b) I understand that. However, its not a national holiday Tuesday at the sorting facility. c) My phone shipped for free, does this mean that I can expect subpar service or slowdowns and not be mad? d) Hopefully I will be one the few lucky ones where this issue doesn't crop up. Otherwise I will be saying "**** you, Apple". e) Im on the 1G Iphone right now which is on its last, dying leg, of course Im anxious to get a new phone.
This reminds me of Louis CK on Conan talking about how ungrateful we are about modern technology. He's on a plane and internet access is available. He's blown away by this. Then it stops working and the guy next to him says.... "This is bullshit." Buying an iPhone now is a very risky endeavor. Dashaansafin I hope you have no issues but if anyone else here is contemplating doing so I recommend you wait to see how this new software update affects things, if at all.

Incman

Reaction score

Bravo
laugh.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Got mine today. Just set it up, sorta. I'll have to mess around to sync it all up properly tonight and copy over my iPod stuff and photos, but having MobileMe for contact management made it all pretty much a cinch.

A few things that jump out at me right away:

- The new screen is absolutely gorgeous. Wow.
- The thing flies. My 3G was pokey as hell. Speed was the main reason I opted to upgrade, and it clearly was the right decision, provided I don't have reception issues.
- The new camera is miles, miles better than the old one.

On the downside:
- I don't like the new form factor. The rounded edges of the 3G felt better in my hand. I don't like these sharper corners, even though the thin-ness is nice.

And an observation:
- I have not taken any calls on the new phone, so I can't speak meaningfully to reception, but I have tried holding it seven ways from Sunday trying to get the reception bars to decrease, but I cannot make it happen. I can't visibly replicate the issue people have been talking about, though until I make and receive a few calls, I'm not sure what this observation is really worth.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got mine today. Just set it up, sorta. I'll have to mess around to sync it all up properly tonight and copy over my iPod stuff and photos, but having MobileMe for contact management made it all pretty much a cinch.

A few things that jump out at me right away:

- The new screen is absolutely gorgeous. Wow.
- The thing flies. My 3G was pokey as hell. Speed was the main reason I opted to upgrade, and it clearly was the right decision, provided I don't have reception issues.
- The new camera is miles, miles better than the old one.

On the downside:
- I don't like the new form factor. The rounded edges of the 3G felt better in my hand. I don't like these sharper corners, even though the thin-ness is nice.

And an observation:
- I have not taken any calls on the new phone, so I can't speak meaningfully to reception, but I have tried holding it seven ways from Sunday trying to get the reception bars to decrease, but I cannot make it happen. I can't visibly replicate the issue people have been talking about, though until I make and receive a few calls, I'm not sure what this observation is really worth.

Very nice Douglas, I will report back after work when I pick it up as FedEx shows that it has delivered today.

Looks like the reception issues didn't affect everyone. Hopefully mine will be the same, stay tuned and have fun with your new toy
teacha.gif

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got mine. Have been too busy marveling at how good apps look on the screen to make some test calls. It truly is something you need to see in person. But... where is the Game Center XBL-esque functionality? Achievements, social hub, etc? Is that still coming or were they too ambitious? Total disappointment if it's been scrapped.

Also, anyone have experience with unlocking and jailbreaking an iPhone and, if so, how easy is it? I've seen where there are plenty of guides, I'm just worried I'm going to brick my phone and as I'm tight on money my 3G was supposed to pay for a good portion of my 4 I'm fretting a little.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah just set it up. Its beautiful. Then again Im coming from a 1g. But nonetheless beautiful. And no signal problems at all.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went into the store today to get one but since they were sold out and I don't carry a credit card (I only carry debit) to order one I have to wait until the store is in stock =(

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My new signature is appropriate for this thread.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
My new signature is appropriate for this thread.

i actually watched it, the main thing that convinced the iphone for me over the evo was longer battery life, ease of use, cheaper family plan and i didn't really care for the size of the evo since the screen is big enough for me on the iphone

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
i actually watched it, the main thing that convinced the iphone for me over the evo was longer battery life, ease of use, cheaper family plan and i didn't really care for the size of the evo since the screen is big enough for me on the iphone
I don't really care, but thanks for sharing.
smile.gif
The video isn't about the Evo, by the way. It's about the herd mentality.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i forgot you're just the resident apple hater for no apparent reason since you don't really care

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads