• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Last night, with grilled chicken and rice
2006 Ridge Geyserville. Very nice wine, mostly a Zin (70%) blend with carignane, petit syrah, and, strangely enough, 2% Mataro. Anyone know more about this grape?
Then a Carmes de Rieussec 2004. Good Sauternes for $30 a half. Big dried apricot and candied citrus on the nose. Really intense and powerful in the mouth. Big almond flavors with some orange and a bit of a toffee flavor. It was really satisfying. The incredible mouthfeel typical of Sauternes, with a nice, medium length finish. Like.

frown.gif
I want to try the Ridge geyserville so badly.

I think I'll go with a Champagne. Thanks for the suggestions.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Taking my entrance exam w/ the Court of Master Sommelier's on October 4 &5.
Originally Posted by indesertum
frown.gif
I want to try the Ridge geyserville so badly.

What's stopping you?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

want to do badly. Need capital first, it all gets spent on wine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

What's stopping you?

Originally Posted by gomestar
want to do badly. Need capital first, it all gets spent on wine.

Nice K and me too gome, except I'm lacking both capital and time
frown.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Nice K and me too gome, except I'm lacking both capital and time
frown.gif

the intro is only two days, and on the weekend for the most part. I'd give the exam a go but you have to sit through the class and pay for it all.

And they will be in Pio town giving the classes, good news.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to do it in Chicago earlier this year. So now I have to drive to Traverse City, MI to do it. The drive doesn't bother me, but the extra expense kinda sucks. I'd still rather take it this year than waiting til next year for the Chicago test.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
the intro is only two days, and on the weekend for the most part. I'd give the exam a go but you have to sit through the class and pay for it all.

And they will be in Pio town giving the classes, good news.

Really? Can you PM me a link?

Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to do it in Chicago earlier this year. So now I have to drive to Traverse City, MI to do it. The drive doesn't bother me, but the extra expense kinda sucks. I'd still rather take it this year than waiting til next year for the Chicago test.

You will love it there, K. That place is beautiful.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A sommelier convention in Travers City? What are they sommeliering? Mad Dog?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'd have to wait for the next NYC round, but I would mind trying for the Certified Sommelier Exam. I'm not in the industry, nor do I plan to be, but it's a little challenge that looks like fun.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
You will love it there, K. That place is beautiful.
I've heard that it actually is nice.
Originally Posted by iammatt
A sommelier convention in Travers City? What are they sommeliering? Mad Dog?
this portion of the test is entirely theoretical and 0% practical, so only written exam and no service or tasting exam. Then the Certified Somm Exam, Advanced, and Master's test you on increasingly specific theoretical knowledge and also incorporate practical service and tasting knowledge.
I'd have to wait for the next NYC round, but I would mind trying for the Certified Sommelier Exam. I'm not in the industry, nor do I plan to be, but it's a little challenge that looks like fun.

You have to take them all in succession, but I'm hoping to take the Entrance exam and the Certified exam in the next 18 months, then hopefully get a job working somewhere in the industry, because you have to have 5 years experience to take the advanced or master level.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
you have to have 5 years experience to take the advanced or master level.

I know, hence my desire to stop it at Level II. Would certainly consider next time they're in NYC, though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
this portion of the test is entirely theoretical and 0% practical, so only written exam and no service or tasting exam. Then the Certified Somm Exam, Advanced, and Master's test you on increasingly specific theoretical knowledge and also incorporate practical service and tasting knowledge.

I just read the link. I dont' think that is correct. They say something specifically about tasting and learning to do a "deductive" one at that. I'll re-read the link in a bit, but sure seemed like there was tasting and service.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I just read the link. I dont' think that is correct. They say something specifically about tasting and learning to do a "deductive" one at that. I'll re-read the link in a bit, but sure seemed like there was tasting and service.

No. They say that they teach you the deductive method of tasting, and they teach your proper wine service during the classes, but that is solely in preparation for the upper level exams.

Preparation
A candidate's success in the Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam will depend on a combination of career experience and level of preparation. A written test is given at the end of the course with all topics having been covered during class lectures. However, it is highly recommended that candidates read a good wine encyclopedia such as Tom Stevenson's The New Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia or Karen McNeill's Wine Bible in preparation before the actual class takes place. The book's introductory sections and cover pages for each regional entry should be of special note as well as a review of basic spirits and beer production.

The Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam is open to all beverage and hospitality professionals interested in pursuing the highest standards of wine service and product knowledge in a fine dining room setting. Candidates come from restaurant, wholesale and retail backgrounds.
The Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam is also a prerequisite for the Certified Sommelier Examinations, which includes a written theory exam, a blind tasting exam and a practical wine service exam.

Candidates who successfully complete the Introductory Sommelier Exam with a minimum 60% passing score on the written examination:
Have received intensive instruction over two days from a team of Master Sommeliers.
Have received an overview of all the major wine growing regions of the world, as well as instruction in spirits, beer, sakÃ
00a9.png
and proper wine service.
Have passed a written examination based on the material covered throughout the 2-day course.
Are capable of discussing, buying and serving a comprehensive range of alcoholic beverages with confidence and skill.
Have learned the Deductive Tasting method of blind tasting from some of the best wine tasters in the world--a tasting method that is an integral part of the Certified Sommelier Exam, the Advanced Course and the Master Sommelier Diploma. The acquired tasting skills will enable them to confidently recognize both wine quality and flaws.
Have received adequate direction to successfully study and prepare for the Certified Sommelier Exam, the prerequisite for the Advanced Course and Master Sommelier Exam itself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Right:

"¢Have learned the Deductive Tasting method of blind tasting from some of the best wine tasters in the world--a tasting method that is an integral part of the Certified Sommelier Exam, the Advanced Course and the Master Sommelier Diploma. The acquired tasting skills will enable them to confidently recognize both wine quality and flaws.
I'm not sure how one can acquire tasting skills without tasting. I don't know. Gome, you took this course? Do we get some grape juice or not?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I didn't take that course, I took one through my college. I got grape juice then.

I'm interested in that course for the certification.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads