• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calgary, Canada

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats the industry in calgary like at the moment?

booming like all oil towns? does anyone know - is it traditional oil or shale / oil sands type stuff?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe Calgary needs to schedule a meet-up.
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
whats the industry in calgary like at the moment? booming like all oil towns? does anyone know - is it traditional oil or shale / oil sands type stuff?
Yes, all of Canada's significant O&G players are based in Calgary, whether conventional, shale or oil sands. Things have picked up as far as I know.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
I went to West this past weekend. Bit of an older crowd, but still fun. Amsterdam Rhino is worth checking out especially now that the patio is open. The shisha bar a few doors down has the best shisha I have ever smoked.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
whats the industry in calgary like at the moment?

booming like all oil towns? does anyone know - is it traditional oil or shale / oil sands type stuff?

I wouldn't say it is "booming". At least not the most booming city in the region. The housing market there is moving backwards, which is pretty rare in the prairies as pretty much every other major city on the prairies housing markets have been on fire since 2005.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
Thanks for the link. Is racism still an issue? No, I am not white.

Alberta is arguably Canada's most conservative province. Have heard a few things about Oil and Gas companies staffed with old white guys, but nothing too serious. Personally, I have never seen any issues in my work or personal life. Don't think this is something you should worry about a lot.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback folks!

As of right now, interview is scheduled for the morning of Friday, July 23rd. I was going to try and stay the weekend there and maybe check out banff, but if we can get a SF Calgary meet up scheduled, that would be great.

How does July 23 or 24 work for everybody?

PS - The interview IS with an energy company out there - traditional oil and shale.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
Alberta is arguably Canada's most conservative province. Have heard a few things about Oil and Gas companies staffed with old white guys, but nothing too serious. Personally, I have never seen any issues in my work or personal life. Don't think this is something you should worry about a lot.

Piles and piles of non-whites in the business and the city. The city is the third most diverse in the country. Racism would be no worse than any city in the northern US.

Originally Posted by imschatz
I wouldn't say it is "booming". At least not the most booming city in the region. The housing market there is moving backwards, which is pretty rare in the prairies as pretty much every other major city on the prairies housing markets have been on fire since 2005.

This is fair. However, the cities that are "on fire" are the ones where wearing a suit on a Thursday to the bar gets you asked if you're a Mormon or just attended a wedding (I've experienced this).

Originally Posted by feynmix
How does July 23 or 24 work for everybody?

I guess I'd be willing to reveal my true identity.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
At least not the most booming city in the region.

Which city would that be? Not that we have many.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Dear OP, I have lived in Calgary for almost 4 years.

If one or both of these two are the absolut priorities in your life, you should move here:

1. The outdoors (as in skiing, climbing, mountaineering, etc.)
2. Making money

If not, for the love of god, DO NOT move here. I understand you would be moving from NYC. Calgary is much smaller and punches way below its weight. It has the urbanity of a city maybe a quarter the size.

Please consider this carefully.

From what I've seen so far this is bang on. Fortunately I'm a skier before all else and have mounds of student debt so yor criteria are met, sir.

I'd be down for some drinks on jul 23 or 24 so long as we're in dt. Might be able to get free to go as far as 17th. I'm in bankers hall most of my waking hours.

This thread is a godsend as I now have like 15 places to eat. Much thanks and keep em coming.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
From what I've seen so far this is bang on. Fortunately I'm a skier before all else and have mounds of student debt so yor criteria are met, sir.

I'd be down for some drinks on jul 23 or 24 so long as we're in dt. Might be able to get free to go as far as 17th. I'm in bankers hall most of my waking hours.

This thread is a godsend as I now have like 15 places to eat. Much thanks and keep em coming.

It's not as bad as peeps say. It's not van I'm sure, but there's still cool stuff to do.

Don't have time now, but I'll post a list of ****-to-do this weekend.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will marvel at **** calgariensis -- paunchy spray-tanned 40-somethings with Tapout/Affliction Ts, ****** distressed denim and lots of bling.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If one or both of these two are the absolut priorities in your life, you should move here:

2. Making money

If not, for the love of god, DO NOT move here. I understand you would be moving from NYC. Calgary is much smaller and punches way below its weight. It has the urbanity of a city maybe a quarter the size.

+100.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Bros is now open downtown.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2. Making money

Bang on. Calgary is just a boom town, which means plenty of small town hickishness in spite of its size, endless sprawl, and a dearth of interesting communities.

But if you're an engineer or a lawyer, you can make a ton of money in the corporate (oil) sector. And you're an hour from the Rockies.

Originally Posted by unjung
Brooks Bros is now open downtown.
Are there 30% markups on all items? Is there any selection?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads