• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
G'luck, Edina. Got a few hours before I head out.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Heading to the course in 15 minutes.

I AM VERY EXCITE.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
G'luck, Edina. Got a few hours before I head out.

Good luck gents.

I managed to not pick up a club for yet another weekend.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, rough couple of days on the range and on the course. I went to the range the night before my round and I was a total mess. I used to really never release the club - It probably robbed me of some trajectory but I actually used to hit longer, probably because of the lower trajectories. When I took the lesson that screwed me all up a few years ago, he really got me releasing the club but I really couldn't control the direction of the ball, and the balloon slice on my woods was laughable. Anyways, at the range the other night I was sort of caught between two very different swings and while I could get one of them to work with some clubs, the other swing would work better with another. What a mess. Anyways, I went to play Caves and frankly, I thought I played remarkably well - some of my holes were the best holes of my life. But the greens were FLYING fast. Even the members were saying they'd never seen anything like it. On the first hole (which I parred by ramming home an 8-footer), 2 in our group putted downhill, just trickling past the hole... and rolling, rolling, rolling off the green. Caves has a lot of elevated greens and they were just repelling anything less than perfect approach shots and chips. Anyways - on the front nine, I played 7 holes at 6-over (great for me) but also 2 holes at 7-over (OUCH). So not much in the way of scoring. On the back 9 I started to fall apart and played pretty consistently poorly and finished with an ugly 101 - definitely as badly as I've scored in a long, long time. But it's a hard course and I can take away from it that I did have some excellent holes. I was draing a ton of putts from distance, and very nearly jarred an impossible chip (severe downslope, green running away from me, close pin placement). Thank god for the pin because on those greens, had I not hit the pin absolutely dead on (and had it stop 6 inches from the cup) it was going to roll off into a bunker for certain. Still felt good.
smile.gif
Oh well... I'm back interested enough that I might try to get a lesson in the next month or two.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, back from our first 18 on a regulation course. Love how wide the fairways are vs. the Par 3 course we've been hacking on. The greens are also far better. Basically, it's 20x better no matter how you slice it.

Mrs. Piob did fine. She's not long but pretty damn steady with her driver and almost always (with roll) puts it about 125-160 yards down the fairways. She's getting okay with her 7-PW. It's her fairway woods and long irons that kill her. She's surprisingly good out of the sand, about 65% good success.

Pretty much same here. I'm not quite as steady with my driver but with roll I'm usually 220+. Having a little luck with my 5 wood, 3 not so much. 9-SW and I'm smoking. I mean, I managed back spin. A few holes I did those perfect high, arching shots that just go "plop" and don't roll off the green.

That chipper we each bought? Fan-*******-tastic. Everyone here should buy one. You pull your follow through short and you get incredible backspin that will stop a ball dead. You do a nice long follow through and you get tons of roll. Lofting it is easy as the club does the work. Just make a putting style stroke and this club rules.

All in all, we sucked. We each got one par and a couple bogeys, but we just stopped counting on some holes. I played the white tees, she played the forwards. That really made us about even, maybe giving her the slight advantage over me, as my loft and carry is inconsistent.

Will clean the clubs tomorrow and rest until lessons on Saturday. The very second swing I pulled something in my left forearm and want to rest it.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was terrible. Had a few excellent shots and my putting was good. However I had a lot of fun and can't wait to hit the links again so **** my score.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Edina, order one of those chippers. I'm not kidding, for about 20 yards an in, cannot be beat. Yeah, I used my 7 iron for some chipping, just so I don't become dependent on that chipper and learn to do it right, but if you're trying to score well nothing can beat it.

airblaster503

Reaction score
I played 9 twice last week, the first day I shot a 46, the second I shot a 39. I need to work on getting my driver under control since that was killing me on the first round.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am doing the Netwebz wrong. I forgot I shoot under 80 and drive the ball 300+ yards on the Interwebz.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Edina, order one of those chippers. I'm not kidding, for about 20 yards an in, cannot be beat. Yeah, I used my 7 iron for some chipping, just so I don't become dependent on that chipper and learn to do it right, but if you're trying to score well nothing can beat it.

Thanks I'll check it out. Only have a PW so I do "need" something else.

I am doing the Netwebz wrong. I forgot I shoot under 80 and drive the ball 300+ yards on the Interwebz.

+1

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
I played 9 twice last week, the first day I shot a 46, the second I shot a 39. I need to work on getting my driver under control since that was killing me on the first round.

My driving is fairly consistent. A lot of my scoring depends on how many greens I hit. Since I don't play as much as I used to, It takes a bit of time for me to develop my touch on shots that are 15-40 yards. Tough to put it within 5-6 feet from 20 yards out if you only play once every couple of months.

Are you completely against people posting scores that are sub 90?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Are you completely against people posting scores that are sub 90?

Not in the least. Just amazed by how many people here drive like the pros and score like the guys on the Champion's Tour. I understand, our case mix here leans towards "awesome," and don't let skepticism soften advice you give, like eliminating double bogeys to lower your score.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not in the least. Just amazed by how many people here drive like the pros and score like the guys on the Champion's Tour. I understand, our case mix here leans towards "awesome," and don't let skepticism soften advice you give, like eliminating double bogeys to lower your score.

Right, because unless you're on TV you can't be good at golf.

And I stand by my advice that the fewer double bogeys you make the lower your score will be.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
And I stand by my advice that the fewer double bogeys you make the lower your score will be.
smile.gif

Indeed. Also, just earn 500k a year and you won't be poor. Talk to me baby.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Piobaire is not at the point where he can adopt the strategy of minimizing double bogeys... it was his first ever round. He's at the point where just trying to hit the ball correctly.

But Piobaire, there are an awful lot of people that shoot in the 70's and 80's, so it's not quite like the bigtimer talk on here.

And by the way very few good players use "chippers" as you describe (I don't think I've ever seen one on a guy who can break 90, if you're talking about those clubs that are much like putters, but lofted), but if it's what's working for you at this stage, have at it.

blofeld

Reaction score
not everyone is a hacker with a radical chipper club. though - that club does sound pretty sweet, so I will likely order one. I just hope there is room for it next to my telescoping ball retriever and 7, 9, 11, and 13 woods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads