• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been getting away from potential gun collector-itis. Partially to pay bills, partially because my revised goal list includes potential moves to Portland or SF, neither of which would be a good place to haul a safe full of guns (even if they were all legal in SF).

By the end of the year I figure I'll be down to an M&P9, either a nice 1911 or HK45, an AR and my variety of .22s.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
IBy the end of the year I figure I'll be down to an M&P9, either a nice 1911 or HK45, an AR and my variety of .22s.

So you are getting rid of your AUG clone? How did you like it? Did you get the one with the short 16" barrel?

If I ever decided to start collecting firearms of my time in the Australian Army instead of East Timor, that would be a nice start - a civi Austyer.
smile.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend had an HK USP .45

Very whiz-bang, but the novelty wore off fast. Something about that gun felt 'off' to me, but I can't place it. Maybe it's general blockiness, or the height of the bore axis.

HK certainly has a marketing department that nearly any brand in the world could learn from.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
So you are getting rid of your AUG clone? How did you like it? Did you get the one with the short 16" barrel?

That wasn't me, no AUG (or MSAR clone) here. I've never had much interest in bullpups - if/when I go 5.56 again it will be an AR or maybe a Remington ACR if they get it functioning, affordable and available on the civilian market.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
A friend had an HK USP .45

Very whiz-bang, but the novelty wore off fast. Something about that gun felt 'off' to me, but I can't place it. Maybe it's general blockiness, or the height of the bore axis.

HK certainly has a marketing department that nearly any brand in the world could learn from.

Prior to the P30/HK45, I thought HKs were the worst expensive handgun going. Hard to source parts for, terrible ergonomics, no more or less reliable than a Glock that costs half as much.

The P30 and HK45 are great, though (except the DA pull is ridiculously heavy - even after a trigger job, my father's P30L pull is heavier than a stock Sig) - they've brought the bore axis down a lot, grip panels are almost too customizable (I don't know how I'd ever decide what size side palm swells I need). Customer service seems to be improving to boot.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
And speaking of IWB:

Here are a few pics I took of my Crossbreed Super-tuck custom holster after a couple months of breaking-in. I love the way it moulds to the body yet still gives the kydex retention and double clip anchoring. Adjustability for cant is great and I also have J-hooks for tucking though I don't bother with these (the clips aren't that noticeable to mot people are provide an excellent lock-down). I also got one of their custom gun belts in the same order.

Highly recommended!

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

imgp2041x.jpg

imgp2047.jpg

imgp2043q.jpg

imgp2044u.jpg

Nice....

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ wow. That is actually one of the most discreet setups I've seen without going subcompact.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That wasn't me, no AUG (or MSAR clone) here. I've never had much interest in bullpups - if/when I go 5.56 again it will be an AR or maybe a Remington ACR if they get it functioning, affordable and available on the civilian market.

Sorry, my bad. Must have been Ace that got the AUG clone.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just ordered an M16A1 parts kit (all brand new 1970s Colt) with new barrel and a retro lower receiver to match. Should be a fun project
smile.gif

M16A1Kit.JPG

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered an M16A1 parts kit (all brand new 1970s Colt) with new barrel and a retro lower receiver to match. Should be a fun project
smile.gif

M16A1Kit.JPG

I have done this (well, not with a '70s Colt A1). It is fun, doesn't take that long, and you learn a lot. Great confidence builder, from that point on, when you took a box of parts and made a gun out of them.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend had an HK USP .45 Very whiz-bang, but the novelty wore off fast. Something about that gun felt 'off' to me, but I can't place it. Maybe it's general blockiness, or the height of the bore axis. HK certainly has a marketing department that nearly any brand in the world could learn from.
My only experience with H&K is with the Tactical, which I really like, especially with a can. However, as with any polymer-framed pistol, I find it disconcerting how the rotary moment of the gun radically alters as the mag empties. ~ H

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have done this (well, not with a '70s Colt A1). It is fun, doesn't take that long, and you learn a lot. Great confidence builder, from that point on, when you took a box of parts and made a gun out of them.

How hard was it to press the barrel to the upper receiver? What tools did you use/need/buy?

Here's a pick I took in '96 of a very close friend during the war, with an early 70s vintage M16A1.

image16zm.jpg

I guess my next addition will have to be an FNC, to complete the set, for the total living-in-the-past crazy-man collection.
laugh.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How hard was it to press the barrel to the upper receiver? What tools did you use/need/buy?
AR barrels aren't pressed in/headspaced the way 'traditional' barrels are. Eugene Stoner was a pretty sharp dude . . . A lot of people don't have a bench vice, which you'll need to buy or borrow. The action blocks just go into the vice and are contoured to match the AR upper receiver. You could make-do without them or use wood or something. A few punches. Pliers. Some tape. A hammer. You can totally build the lower in your kitchen or laundry room or wherever. You will need somewhere to mount the aforementioned bench vice though . . . probably not the dining room table. Biggest PITA was launching the little springs and detents across the room, losing them, and having to wait a week to get a replacement part that only cost like $.50
facepalm.gif
I seriously suggest looking like a dumbass when you do that part of the lower assembly; put the lower on the floor, hunch over as much of it with your body, and face the springs/detents toward a wall. That way if your hand slips and they go flying out . . . either the wall will stop them or they will bounce off your body. This thread has basically all you need: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 My build was a Civilian Marksmanship/DCM Service Rifle.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks CQ!

I've got a complete assembled lower, so the main challenge will be mounting the barrel, front sight/gas-block, flash suppressor and of course parking the raw barrel. I'm an AR noob, but have done a few HK/CETME builds.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's a pick I took in '96 of a very close friend during the war, with an early 70s vintage M16A1.

image16zm.jpg

I guess my next addition will have to be an FNC, to complete the set, for the total living-in-the-past crazy-man collection.
laugh.gif

one day we have to compare notes about training people in "developing countries " to kill each other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads