• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A&S

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I just don't like th look of it... It reminds me watching a painting in the modern art museum and telling a guy I didn't enjoy/like a particular painting... The guide went on for 30 minutes trying to explain the technical elements of the painting and the cultural background to it . It was a masterpiece but I didn't appreciate/like it.. The same for that particular jacket...I may lack the technical knowledge of certain members but I can't recognize when I like how a jacket is looking and flowing..
You don't have to understand the technicalities, that's the tailors job. You either like something or you do not. You do not have to be a cabinet maker to appriciate the cabinet. The use of the term 'balance' is also fine it's a common term in design aesthetics.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some comments:

- I much prefer whnay.'s jacket to manton's jacket. If it was not manton posting, it would have been absolutely ripped to shreds here on SF.

- The bolder pattern only heightens what is off to my eye, that 'flowing out' direction from the bust that resembles an empire cut dress. I am not sure whether this is acceptable in tailoring orthodoxy, but to my eyes:

dscn2781c.jpg
Empire-Waist-Dress.jpg

- I would really be interested to know how much of this effect is actually due to photography/angle/etc. I am sure on the man IRL and with the inclusion of movement/etc it would not be noticeable unless you were specifically looking for it.

- I find foo's lack of objectivity in this and other threads where 'friends' are involved (vs where 'internet foes' are involved) somewhat... disappointing/amusing. IMO it discredits him as a source of authority as a clothing hobbyist, as a 'bespoke expert', or as an authority in anything tailoring-related. Which is a shame.

It lends credence to a theory I have about him: that he reverse engineers (often convulated) line(s) of reasoning after deciding at a conclusion first.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Some comments: - I much prefer whnay.'s jacket to manton's jacket. If it was not manton posting, it would have been absolutely ripped to shreds here on SF.
I think some people have. I'm still mulling it over.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- I find foo's lack of objectivity in this and other threads where 'friends' are involved (vs where 'internet foes' are involved) somewhat... disappointing/amusing. IMO it discredits him as a source of authority as a clothing hobbyist, as a 'bespoke expert', or as an authority in anything tailoring-related. Which is a shame.

It lends credence to a theory I have about him: that he reverse engineers (often convulated) line(s) of reasoning after deciding at a conclusion first.

lurker[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this thread.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Doesn't matter. Whatever you decide to do, we'll rip you apart for it regardless.
devil.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
You don't have to understand the technicalities, that's the tailors job. You either like something or you do not. You do not have to be a cabinet maker to appriciate the cabinet.

The use of the term 'balance' is also fine it's a common term in design aesthetics.

I'm not an expert.

I just love my suits and I need to use words to describe my inner feeling when looking at a garment...

I didn't like the way the jacket was flowing regardless of its owner.

On Foo's lack of objectivity,i think it is the most amusing of his shortcomings...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that it's only tailoring, I suggest you laugh.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert. I just love my suits and I need to use words to describe my inner feeling when looking at a garment... I didn't like the way the jacket was flowing regardless of its owner. On Foo's lack of objectivity,i think it is the most amusing of his shortcomings...
...and you have no need to be. You pay handsomely for the services of an expert, the tailor. An item of tailoring either moves you or it doesn't. For me it's an aesthetic choice not a techincal one. I haven't a clue what the terms front balance or back balance really mean, but I know a man who does.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert.

I just love my suits and I need to use words to describe my inner feeling when looking at a garment...

I didn't like the way the jacket was flowing regardless of its owner.

On Foo's lack of objectivity,i think it is the most amusing of his shortcomings...

devil.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's amusing is your obsession with undermining me. You're clearly making assertions drawn from what you'd like to believe, not from what I've actually said. I was amongst the first, if not the first, to point out the apparent front balance problem. I said the waist is way too suppressed. I also suggested that the gorge is too high, the breast pocket is too high, and the quarter shapes look odd. Did you ignore those comments or were you too stupid to understand them? It doesn't take a psychiatrist to figure out that your assertions about the objectivity of my "authority" say far more about your own insecurities.
I've done more than almost anyone to illustrate and justify my criticisms--I started a thread specifically for that purpose. Yet, here you are, happy to jeer and heckle from the sidelines. You can theorize all you want about me (but you're not obsessed, right?), but the truth remains that I've put my money where my mouth is and you haven't.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ahem, I was the first to point out the front balance issue.

You're wrong about the gorge, I suppose the pocket placement is a matter of taste (and I am fine with it where it is), and as for the quarters, I intend to suggest to Mr. H. that he simply cut a bigger swoop and leave the front balance alone. We'll see what he says.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ahem, I was the first to point out the front balance issue. You're wrong about the gorge, I suppose the pocket placement is a matter of taste (and I am fine with it where it is), and as for the quarters, I intend to suggest to Mr. H. that he simply cut a bigger swoop and leave the front balance alone. We'll see what he says.
My point is more that apropos is an ass. Like I said earlier, I think the waist suppression is the game-changer.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now don't you go all bipolar on us! Stay the Abe Lincoln that you are.

- M

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ahem, I was the first to point out the front balance issue.

You're wrong about the gorge, I suppose the pocket placement is a matter of taste (and I am fine with it where it is), and as for the quarters, I intend to suggest to Mr. H. that he simply cut a bigger swoop and leave the front balance alone. We'll see what he says.

This is an example of what Mahon refers to as a "crooked coat" more than a matter of balance. This is the DNA of an A&S jacket. Asking them to change is like asking a chef to change his recipe to match your tastes. You eat at restaurants that you like because of their cooking style, same with tailors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads