• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive MANBAG Thread Part I: 2009-2014

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I am willing to bet it's like a suede bag. They look good, but are not practical for bad weather.

Wonderfully put. I think someone made a comment on BK Circus or Street Etiquette that the construction was good. It sure looks very nice, but I always bear practicality in mind.

Here's a similar bag by Atelier LaDurance (not raw denim though):

2s0va.jpg

I missed out on it
frown.gif
If anyone has it and wants to sell, PM me
smile.gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just my taste, but I think the one from Bkc looks a lot better.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bag like this might not be appropriate for SW&D, but this is the most active bag forum on SF. Has anyone any experience with HLASKA? They are based out of CA and I am really liking the look of one of their bags:

Picture+2.png

Picture+3.png

It used to go for $795, but they are now selling at $495. Since it's now the MSRP, I am assuming they couldn't move enough product at the old price. That's understandable since it would make the bag compete with some of the higher end luxury brands. Anyways, I have read some good things about the materials and construction, but wanted the general SF opinion on it. Can be had in Black and a lighter color too.

pdsf

Reaction score
Just my taste, but I think the one from Bkc looks a lot better.

If I could have my way, I'd get rid of the pocket.
smile.gif
Wish the Bkc one wasn't raw...

Re Hlaska - I visited their shop in San Fran once back in 2008/9. I felt the bags were overpriced, and everything was very "stiff" (including the SAs). I remember feeling disappointed because the bags looked better on the website (their site was much classier back then than its current version) - but then again doesn't that happen often? The construction was average to above average. They weren't having a sale and there wasn't anything that interested me when I factored in the price.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
If I could have my way, I'd get rid of the pocket.
smile.gif
Wish the Bkc one wasn't raw...

Re Hlaska - I visited their shop in San Fran once back in 2008/9. I felt the bags were overpriced, and everything was very "stiff" (including the SAs). I remember feeling disappointed because the bags looked better on the website (their site was much classier back then than its current version) - but then again doesn't that happen often? The construction was average to above average. They weren't having a sale and there wasn't anything that interested me when I factored in the price.

Ah good to know. Hopefully one or two others here will be able to give their takes too. It did occur to me that there is a huge difference in the expectations of an $500 and an $800+ bag so if they did a price drop like that it could well reflect what it's really worth.

I'm also considering saving up and going higher end and getting one of these in black or dark brown:
want_les_essentiels_de_la_vie_trudeau.jpg

Want Les Essentiels Trudeau. Costs a little over 1K, but it's the type of bag that should last a lifetime.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Bag like this might not be appropriate for SW&D, but this is the most active bag forum on SF. Has anyone any experience with HLASKA? They are based out of CA and I am really liking the look of one of their bags:

Picture+2.png

Picture+3.png

It used to go for $795, but they are now selling at $495. Since it's now the MSRP, I am assuming they couldn't move enough product at the old price. That's understandable since it would make the bag compete with some of the higher end luxury brands. Anyways, I have read some good things about the materials and construction, but wanted the general SF opinion on it. Can be had in Black and a lighter color too.

better off going with delvaux they're much nicer
delvaux+newspaper+bag+brown

dareone

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience with HLASKA? They are based out of CA and I am really liking the look of one of their bags:
no personal experience with them. but groupon is selling $100 credit for $50 today. here is my referral link if you want to sign up: http://www.groupon.com/r/uu4543850 edit: just trying to help out and give you a heads up. you don't have to click on my referral link...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
better off going with delvaux they're much nicer
delvaux+newspaper+bag+brown

That's also an over $2.5K bag. A little out of my price range.
laugh.gif

Reaction score
Pics of my man bag. Its small but allows me to carry my inhaler, reading glasses, glasses cleaner, and cloth, sun block, dental floss, chapstick, and a compartment for all my club cards. What do you think? Its real Italian leather.

pdsf

Reaction score
Ah good to know. Hopefully one or two others here will be able to give their takes too. It did occur to me that there is a huge difference in the expectations of an $500 and an $800+ bag so if they did a price drop like that it could well reflect what it's really worth.

I'm also considering saving up and going higher end and getting one of these in black or dark brown:

Want Les Essentiels Trudeau. Costs a little over 1K, but it's the type of bag that should last a lifetime.

I have handled a Want bag before and the quality was top notch.

Then again if I had 1k to spare, I'd go for something else vs. Want. For example...Glaser Designs, but the Want bags do look more sleek.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdsf
I have handled a Want bag before and the quality was top notch.

Then again if I had 1k to spare, I'd go for something else vs. Want. For example...Glaser Designs, but the Want bags do look more sleek.

Glaser Designs makes some great duffels, but their briefcases are not my thing. I like just about everything about the Want bag except the gold hardware on the black version. I would have preferred silver. It's out of my price range right now, but I think I'll invest in one at some point.

Murdoc

Reaction score

That bag is f#$%ng gorgeous, damn the price though.

Thanks for posting that though, another thing to save up for, hehe.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murdoc
That bag is f#$%ng gorgeous, damn the price though.

Thanks for posting that though, another thing to save up for, hehe.

You should check out the website, they have some other colors too.

If you want to go cheaper their collaboration with JCrew has some good stuff. Take a look here.

gee_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fordfusion2010
Yes, that bag is f#$%ng gorgeous!

What do you think about my bag?

lolz at begging for e-approval

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads