• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bubbleboys
I already own this belt will it do?

Intuitively, I wouldn't think that brown would go well with those blue shoes. The white I can see going very well but the brown just seemed a bit odd in my mind?

The one you have looks fine. Navy leather + brown leather almost always looks good.

Originally Posted by dunelly
no uniqlo here, any where else?

They do phone orders.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fluery
at the tailor i usually go to, tapering from the knee down is like ~$22

That is typically what I pay too.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ go for any canvas belt, they're very thin and do the job of keeping your pants up fine.

skander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Riio
who makes a cheap, thin belt? thin so you can't see the outline of it under a tshirt.

Looking through an Urban Outfitters the other day, they had some cheap, thin ribbon and canvas belts that might work for what you're looking for.

eternaldrake

Reaction score
Hey, I just found this place a few months ago and have started building a new wardrobe to replace all the garbage i wore in high school. Mostly just have selvedge denim in black/blue and some button-ups along with solid color tees atm. With that in mind, I'm looking for a good recommendation on what a nice pair of shoes/sneakers would be to go along with this, budget not more than 100$ barring a real good deal. beeswax clark dbs?

Rolfi

Reaction score
a pair of clarks dbs is always a good entry level desert/chukka boot choice

T.Mendel

Reaction score
With the desert boots option, Kurt Geiger are running a sale. I have some of their red desert boots which were featured in GQ a little while ago. Very comfortable.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T.Mendel
With the desert boots option, Kurt Geiger are running a sale. I have some of their red desert boots which were featured in GQ a little while ago. Very comfortable.

Link?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eternaldrake
With that in mind, I'm looking for a good recommendation on what a nice pair of shoes/sneakers would be to go along with this, budget not more than 100$ barring a real good deal. beeswax clark dbs?

Make sure you have a pair of beater sneakers that you can ruin without feeling bad. I like Chucks on sale for this purpose.

Clarks are okay, but boring. You can probably score some really neat shoes or boots just by rummaging around thrift stores; I got a pair of beatle boots for $30 that way.

eternaldrake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T.Mendel

Which countries do you deliver to?

· Currently we only deliver to the UK (including Northern Ireland) and Ireland.

frown.gif

Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Make sure you have a pair of beater sneakers that you can ruin without feeling bad. I like Chucks on sale for this purpose.

Clarks are okay, but boring. You can probably score some really neat shoes or boots just by rummaging around thrift stores; I got a pair of beatle boots for $30 that way.

I've never had terribly great luck thrifting but I'll try my luck tommorow, thanks for the suggestion.

Also there were generic man dbs on gilt for 135 but I was at work and couldnt check the site til 8:05 because of customers and they were already sold out. oh well

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little bored with my "look" so to speak. It's pretty much T's (white, black, olive), MxMJ raw jeans, and Mil. Surplus boots (I like them because they add a couple inches to my height
laugh.gif
) X-post from WAYWT on basically what i wear
fitu.jpg
I guess I'd like to add a little more "interest", I guess. Most accessories, however, feel too affected. Maybe a piece of subtle man-jewlery? A hat? If so, what kind? I have no clue, really, on how to accomplish such a thing without looking like a fool. I'm a fairly confident person IRL, and would certainly be able to "own" something a little more "out there." I'm just not sure about what it should be. Thanks in advance for the help.

Riio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I'm a little bored with my "look" so to speak. It's pretty much T's (white, black, olive), MxMJ raw jeans, and Mil. Surplus boots (I like them because they add a couple inches to my height
laugh.gif
)

X-post from WAYWT on basically what i wear
fitu.jpg

I guess I'd like to add a little more "interest", I guess. Most accessories, however, feel too affected. Maybe a piece of subtle man-jewlery? A hat? If so, what kind? I have no clue, really, on how to accomplish such a thing without looking like a fool.

I'm a fairly confident person IRL, and would certainly be able to "own" something a little more "out there." I'm just not sure about what it should be.

Thanks in advance for the help.

try shorts?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Thanks in advance for the help.

GN, I know you really, really like those mmj jeans, but I just have to suggest that you try something a little slimmer/more tapered. You always say the "big ass/big thighs" thing, but there's no way you couldn't get away with something skinnier, or a more interesting cut, especially since you're in shape, and not a chubby looking for tight jeans. I think that the stacks/knee bags look especially sloppy, and since you have often talked about trying to look taller, I'd imagine that something a little less loose around the lower leg (boooom alliteration) would make you look taller, because as it is, those jeans are having the opposite effect.

I'd actually say the same thing about the boots as well - the chunky appearance, regardless of heel height, seems to actually make you look shorter (especially in combination with what looks - and I could be wrong - to be a wider hem. Perhaps a slimmer profile shoe that is NOT converse?

Finally, I think a V-neck could accomplish something similar - most crew neck tees make me look stubby, and with your large chest, I think a v-neck would probably elongate your neck quite a bit. It seems like you've worked really hard at getting fit, but now you're not sure how to dress yourself (?)

I would stay away from t-jeans-shoes PLUS just a necklace; that tends to look affected. It's hard to just throw something into the mix without changing your whole "look." In terms of new things to try, just try things! Sales are on, and it's often easy to flip failures in B+S. The summer uniform gets boring quickly, but maybe some draped tanks, carrot-fit trousers, slimmer-profile shoes - that sort of thing - would look good. It's not as hard for fit people to look good as it's made out to be. I'm not saying I'm a style god or anything, but those are some suggestions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads