• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

hayzum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I like answering more technical questions.
Hey City, I'm not sure how familiar you are with Tart Optical frames but I've come to understand that a person can wear say 48-20 in modern frames like Mikli for e.g., 52-17 in vintage aviators and a smaller size in browline/thicker vintage frames? How would one be able to distinguish given that vintage frames run smaller? Also is Shady Character a separate company or is it a model made by Tart? On edit - I've come across this link however I'm still baffled what size would be appropriate for a Tart/Shuron frame. http://optometristattic.com/Measure.htm I've used this - http://tartoptical.com/images/fitting.pdf - as well but don't think a 46 would work for me. Need some help with this.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After about 3 prototypes Tom Davies finally has delivered my custom fitted frames. So is Tom Davies the real deal or more fluff? The fit is dead on though. They were talking about the measurements around the back of my ear, taking into my complexion for color, the whole burritto.

http://www.tdtomdavies.com/

hayzum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
After about 3 prototypes Tom Davies finally has delivered my custom fitted frames. So is Tom Davies the real deal or more fluff? The fit is dead on though.

How much did that cost?

Tigris

Reaction score
Hi cityconnection, can you please answer my question? I made an sf account just to ask you. I know you don't like these type of questions but I don't know who else to ask.
Originally Posted by Tigris
Hi CityConnection, I was wondering if you could ID this pair of eyeglasses for me. I believe they are ray bans but I don't know whether they are 1) 5184 2) 5121 ...or possibly another model?
joe-jonas-300x400.jpg
joe-jonas-glasses.jpg
jjonas020210_22-full.jpg

pc321

Reaction score
hi im pretty new to eyewear and i was just wondering what would be a nice pair under 200 dollars. I want nice thick frames that are square shaped and black. Just want something affordable and stylish.

G0079

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some new eyeglasses with slightly larger lenses. The Tom Ford 5013 looks good to me. Should I be sticking with squared frames like these?

Also, I'm leaning towards tortoiseshell for this next pair of glasses. Thoughts?

em0oN.jpg

SoWnJ.jpg

pjXl8.jpg

5qO86.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I quite dislike those narrow rectangular frames. They seem like a mediocre compromise between those awful Lenscrafter deals (as depicted) most people wear and the larger '50s/'60s styled plastic frames.
columb_silver_gmetal.jpg

G0079

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Tom Fords, or my current glasses? If you mean the current ones, I agree and I'm ready to move on! They suited me better about 20 lbs and 4 years ago.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G0079
Are you talking about the Tom Fords, or my current glasses? If you mean the current ones, I agree and I'm ready to move on! They suited me better about 20 lbs and 4 years ago.

Yes, the ones you're wearing there in the photos.

I imagine the Tom Fords are somewhat larger in size. I like the bolder Fords myself:

34.jpg

G0079

Reaction score
They're definitely more interesting, but I think it takes a certain face to wear those circular bold frames while looking somewhat modern. I'm not sure I could pull them off.

[edit] Some of these Warby Parker models look good, I'll have to look into the quality. At under 100 bucks, it might be worth a try, even as a backup pair.

Originally Posted by MooKitty
http://www.warbyparker.com/mens-eyew...&category=-109

I suggest you preorder if you want them. You will get them around June 6th
These glasses go SUPER fast because they are only $95! WITH PRESCRIPTIONS
If you don't like them 100% money back
Every pair you buy they donate a pair to charity
Also if you dont want to risk it, you can wait till june when they have glasses in stock and do the home try on. They send you 5 pairs of glasses at no charge/obligation to you then you send them back

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoppingshzhang
Eyeglasses for asian men?
My face is kind of wider than average so is there any size or design that is good for me?
It's somehow hard to find glasses with the right fit.

Thanks a lot!

I don't know how big your head is but I have had great success fitting Kio Yamato and Urband Frames. Kio has a tension fit that can be made to bow around the temples (usually the largest part on an asian) and then the Urband frames have a natural bow in the temple and the metal has a bit of flex to it.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
After about 3 prototypes Tom Davies finally has delivered my custom fitted frames. So is Tom Davies the real deal or more fluff? The fit is dead on though. They were talking about the measurements around the back of my ear, taking into my complexion for color, the whole burritto.

http://www.tdtomdavies.com/

I have taken a look at their website before and I have done a bit of research out of curiosity. I do believe that they are "custom made" in the sense that they will customize it for you. They are not one-offs though. They just change the templates for your specific measurements. I don't know if you can pick any shape you want. If I am not mistaken they have pre-made shapes. I wouldn't consider it any different then ordering "custom Oakleys" where you just pick whatever color combination that you want with whichever nose bridge and so on.

The Verdict: Yes they are customized and made to your specifications. I don't know if I would call them "custom made" though. I don't know what their pricing is like, so I can't say if I would get them or not. But if you have the change in your pocket to get a pair of bespoke eyewear, why not...

nightic

Reaction score
I own a few pairs of off-the-shelf Tom Davies frames and have been lead to believe that in addition to the "ready to wear" collection, which comprises a few hundred styles, typically in one size each and with 3/4 colour variations, that 'Tailoring' as well as 'Bespoke' options are available.

Tailoring simply allows you customise any of the ready to wear collection with your choice of colour and finish.
My optician charges just a £30 premium for this (the standard frames already run £200-280 usually).

The Bespoke service however offers, as you'd expect, a fully custom-made frame, with the customer's (in consultation with the optician) choice of shape, size & colour.
Granted, an off-the-shelf model is often the starting point but you can actually have anything you like made and at the very least the fit will be spot on.
This option starts at around £60 above base price, which isn't unreasonable in my opinion.

However, I have discreetly heard it said, by more than one optician offering this service, that it's not all it's cracked up to be, with most customers only slightly deviating from a readily available style (unless they have particularly unusual dimensions or requirements) and with the final result being somewhat unpredictable, despite prototype stages along the way.
You need to be aware that once the order is put through, you've bought the frame, whether the final product completely meets your expectations or not.

In defence of the standard frames though, once you've seen what goes in to the making of the TD Acetates and compared at first hand the quality of the materials and finishing to otherwise similar products, the thought of spending the same money on some mass-produced 'designer' frames (i.e. those manufactured by one of the huge multi-national producers, with a designer logo slapped on as an after-thought) is quite repugnant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads