• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

blairh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Nope, they seem to be pretty damn accurate.

Actually they aren't. Apple just admitted that their signal display is "totally wrong". So while I do hope you have zero problems with your phone just know Apple is releasing a software fix to display accurate signal strength. They implemented a software fix in fall 2008 which in retrospect we now realize was the start of their false signal representation.

They **** the bed here by fooling us all back then and now pretending like they are shocked it's been "wrong all along".

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
Actually they aren't. Apple just admitted that their signal display is "totally wrong". So while I do hope you have zero problems with your phone just know Apple is releasing a software fix to display accurate signal strength. They implemented a software fix in fall 2008 which in retrospect we now realize was the start of their false signal representation.

They **** the bed here by fooling us all back then and now pretending like they are shocked it's been "wrong all along".

From my experience so far with the phone, it has been pretty accurate. Maybe most iPhone 4 users have signal strength representation issues, but I don't. My post was only a reflection of my experiences, thus YMMV.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

I can see why Apple would strongly prefer to blame it all on a software issue. A hardware issue would be a nightmare to deal with.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
So is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

I can see why Apple would strongly prefer to blame it all on a software issue. A hardware issue would be a nightmare to deal with.

Not really, they just need to give bumpers away for free.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
From my experience so far with the phone, it has been pretty accurate.
Jon, this is asinine. Why are you arguing something you can't possibly know what the **** you are talking about? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. That **** is spreading like herpes around here. For your statement to be true you would need to know several things: How to recode your iPhone's OS, incorporating a new mathematical algorithm into the software that uses data read from the antenna to create an arbitrary signal strength ranking. What formula AT&T recommends for signal strength to bars ratio, and what they deem "accurate". (according to Apple, your phone does not currently do this) what your ambient effective signal strength range is. I know how smart you are and are not. And you are not that smart. Unless you are running a custom coded iPhone, Apple just told you yesterday that *********** up the coding on your phone, (I believe it's included in the category "All iPhones") and that it's inaccurate. Now you are arguing with them. Well guess what, they are going to fix it for you anyways, whether you like it or not.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And it's still marsupialed and won't fix the problem. Edit: I guess Apple could be lying. Is that what you are telling us Jon? Is that Apple is lying to it's consumers?
smile.gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a definite dead zone in my house with any cellphone. with the iphone 4 i can actually make/receive calls from there, which i couldn't do with my old nokias and iphone 2g. But if i do the grip of death the call will drop.

if i'm in a normal signal area my normal "grip of death" (i'm left handed) won't drop calls. the signal is robust.

i bet they just coat the metal piece with that laminate thats in street signs or something for future models. it should be an easy enough fix hardware wise even a band aid solution like transparent tape over the metal piece might work.

i'm more afraid of the glass on the back and front. its going to be super ******* slippery in winter with gloves on... all the times i've dropped my old 2g was when i had gloves on in the winter.

blairh

Reaction score
From my experience so far with the phone, it has been pretty accurate. Maybe most iPhone 4 users have signal strength representation issues, but I don't. My post was only a reflection of my experiences, thus YMMV.
I really don't want to argue but this is 100% false. All iPhone's currently suffer from inaccurate signal representation. Apple is pretending like they just realized this but in reality they most likely inflated the bars via a software update in fall of 2008. However, you may still find yourself getting the same amount of bars even after the new software update. My belief is that the current misrepresentation inflates the bars in less coverage (say 3 or less). Giving early adopters free bumpers is absolutely not a solution. You can't just hand a consumer a case for their new phone and expect they will be okay with this. For starters a lot of consumers don't want to place a piece of rubber around their beautiful new phone. And more importantly handing out bumpers means Apple is admitting their initial product was flawed to begin with. So if that was the case they'd also be forced to swap your phone for a new one if you refuse the new bumper. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Do they simply coat the antenna for all future models? (the black ones that people are now waiting for, the white ones that have yet to be released). There is a lot of confusion out there right now. In due time Apple will have to come up with something. All these Youtube videos of early adopters posting their antenna issues is a nightmare for Apple. People, like myself, who were planning on upgrading are having serious doubts now. As for the glass structure. I think Apple sacrificed durability for beauty. Yes, Gorilla Glass is badass and awesome, but it still looks very fragile to me and a backing of aluminum (like the first model) would have been much better. The Droid X may not be as pretty as the iPhone but at least if I'd drop it and it landed on its backing I'd be semi-confident it wouldn't break. Can't say that about iPhone 4.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really, they just need to give bumpers away for free.

Originally Posted by blairh
Giving early adopters free bumpers is absolutely not a solution. You can't just hand a consumer a case for their new phone and expect they will be okay with this. For starters a lot of consumers don't want to place a piece of rubber around their beautiful new phone. And more importantly handing out bumpers means Apple is admitting their initial product was flawed to begin with. So if that was the case they'd also be forced to swap your phone for a new one if you refuse the new bumper.

Exactly.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait, so how do bumper fix the issue? I thought the reception issue was on the lower back side of the iphone?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Wait, so how do bumper fix the issue? I thought the reception issue was on the lower back side of the iphone?

My guess is the bumper acts as an insulator between the sides of the phone and your hand.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
My guess is the bumper acts as an insulator between the sides of the phone and your hand.

You are right. Confirmed here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Given that test video, how can anyone claim this is a software issue? What does calibration of the bars have to do with the problem?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads