• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This might be old news to some but I just was reading my K&L Newletter last night. Fritz Maytag has sold out his brewery! I know this will be major news to some beer fans. What has me concerned is, did the distillery get sold in this transaction? If so, what is the future of our beloved artisnal ryes and gins?
frown.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
This might be old news to some but I just was reading my K&L Newletter last night. Fritz Maytag has sold out his brewery! I know this will be major news to some beer fans. What has me concerned is, did the distillery get sold in this transaction? If so, what is the future of our beloved artisnal ryes and gins?
frown.gif

It might actually be a good thing. The company that bought them, The Griffin Group, also owns a large chunk of Preiss Imports. PI imports and distributes Springbank, Duncan Taylor, BenRiach and GlenDronach, so they are a pretty decent sized player with nationwide distribution. It might mean that you will be able to buy Anchor Steam stuff in the midwest soon.
smile.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
You have a list?! How much do I have to pay to first?

I had lots of sake tonight at what is supposedly the first sake distillery outside of Japan. Will poast update later.

laugh.gif
Not a long list, but definitely need to find more than 36 bottles, since I plan on keeping 12 for myself.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
It might actually be a good thing. The company that bought them, The Griffin Group, also owns a large chunk of Preiss Imports. PI imports and distributes Springbank, Duncan Taylor, BenRiach and GlenDronach, so they are a pretty decent sized player with nationwide distribution. It might mean that you will be able to buy Anchor Steam stuff in the midwest soon.
smile.gif

Ah, good to know. I love me my Duncan Taylor. My main concern was the continuing production of the gins and ryes. Seems like these folks might understand that marketspace well enough to keep production as is.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
smile.gif

You've been able to buy Anchor Steam in the midwest for several years.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
What is the finish one the Caol Ila? Cask Strength?
Um. Dunno. Will get back to you on this.
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
How about you guys, how adament are you against using fine spirits in cocktails? Do you ever splurge and do something like this, or are you a strict adherent to the school of 'cheap liquor for cocktails and fine spirits for sipping only?'
Oh, I like to think I take a reasonable approach. It depends on the cocktail. I suppose my 'well' liquors that I use for cocktails are many people's idea of 'top shelf' -- Miller's Gin, JW Black, Knob Creek, Woodford, etc, and I find this appropriate -- using a truly quality spirit for what I hope will be a quality cocktail. However, I respect the nuance that the spirit maker is trying to maintain in his or her product, and the rarity of the product and won't use a spirit with unique nuance in a cocktail if that that nuance is not allowed expression in the drink -- I wouldn't, say, use Pierre Ferrand Ancestrale in a Sidecar. The lemon juice would absolutely obliterate it. Nor do I use Highland Park 18 or another single malt in a Blood and Sand (again, the orange and the Heering would obliterate the nuance), but I might use a malt like Lagavulin if I really need some smoke in a particular drink, say the Laphroaig in a Pennicillin. No blend will carry that smoke like the malt -- in this case it is a quality of the spirit that I need to heighten my cocktail that will cause me to use such a spirit. I use Zacapa and another fine rum in a rum/Falernum old fashioned that a friend taught me to make. It matters that the spirit is a fine one in such a simple and elegant drink -- the qualities of the spirit that make it fine are absolutely apparent in the drink in a way that heightens it above Bacardi. Basically, I just don't waste it. I'll do a side by side tasting if I need to. ~ H

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a cocktail, but for some... marinating some cherries in Luxardo Maraschino and some in Creme de Violette.

34195_687362467943_216316_38228507_6700627_n.jpg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama

I had lots of sake tonight at what is supposedly the first sake distillery outside of Japan. Will poast update later.

Please do...I am curious about this.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Not a cocktail, but for some... marinating some cherries in Luxardo Maraschino and some in Creme de Violette.

As soon as I saw this post, I went and pitted some cherries and put them in maraschino. I can't wait until they are ready.
smile.gif

JonnyNickels

Reaction score
Laphroaig Quarter Cask...has earned a permanent place in the cabinet along side the Aberlour A'bunadh and Laga. Very good!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am also claiming this as my thread. You have been notified.

IMG_0949.jpg

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
As soon as I saw this post, I went and pitted some cherries and put them in maraschino. I can't wait until they are ready.
smile.gif

I tasted one from each today; it's been three days since I started. The Violette ones are definitely good to go, but I'll let them sit longer to see what happens in a few days. The Maraschino ones could use more time, so I'll dip in to try a 2nd one after one week has passed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads