• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W.W. Chan's New Website

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Hi, I am here to tell everyone that there is no need to further discuss what is being discussed as the correct choice has been well described by JLibourel. I have bolded it in the event you missed it the first time around.

No. The correct choice is 1/2 a Westmancott.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
You are viewing the world through OCD-colored glasses. Very few people, even on SF, think like this.
It's pretty disingenuous to resort to this sort of personal argumentation when it turns out your own reasoning wasn't as precise or persuasive as you hoped it would be. Remember, you're the one making the wild claims, not me.
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I give Vox a lot of ****. My comment wasn't trying to be insulting at all. $1200 for a suit is still a good chunk of change for most Americans. This is one of the few times I'm not actually trying to insult Vox.
We live in a culture that obviously values quantity over quality. We buy more instead of better, only to find that we only want more and more. However, one can only enjoy so many of a particular thing, and often it's the better version that would have truly tided him over. I would not be at all surprised to find that the typical Chan client on the forum has actually spent as much, if not more, than I have on clothes from Rubinacci. Now, that's not to say everyone should buy more expensive stuff, or that every Chan customer should just buy fewer things from Savile Row, but it is perfectly reasonably to suspect that at least some would do well for themselves to do so.
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Yes, and I was responding to your 'foofing' the seersucker coat, not the other guy's completed suit. There are a few pics I've seen on their blog that appear to be quite ok - not my cup of tea, but they're not bad in terms of fit and styling (save the shoulders).
Yes, I know what you were responding to. Perhaps you missed my reasoning: virtually all Sciamat jackets exhibit the tightness depicted in the picture of the seersucker jacket at the fitting stage. Thus, even if the unfinished jacket is to be corrected and loosened, it is nonetheless representative of typical Sciamat work as is.
There are a lot of pics of Luca floating around that invoke giggles on this forum. But that's Luca's style and isn't indicative of the quality and styling offered by Rubinacci as a firm. Perhaps the same is happening here. Who knows.
I'm not talking about style. It's the fit. I don't want to dress like Luca anymore than I want to dress like these Sciamat guys. However, Luca's clothes fit impeccably.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The unfoofed seersucker looks 1,000x better.

1 - The slimmer lapels look stupid.
2 - The poofy chest is idiotic.
3 - OK, you smoothed-out the sides. Whoopty-do. Probably fixed at the final fitting.

Bottom line: Sciamat is some sexy ****.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
The unfoofed seersucker looks 1,000x better.

1 - The slimmer lapels look stupid.

Uhh, then we have very different notions of stupid. I think lapels that reach above the shoulder line like horned, tumorous growths are stupid. You are free to think otherwise.

2 - The poofy chest is idiotic.

The man has very little drop from shoulder to waist. THe waist is obviously as tight as it can get as is. Something has to give, unless he wants to have the shape of a 12-year-old boy.

3 - OK, you smoothed-out the sides. Whoopty-do. Probably fixed at the final fitting.

Like they fixed this?

sciamatfoofed.jpg

Bottom line: Sciamat is some sexy ****.

I have to admit, I've never wanted to wear a suit that someone would feel tempted to call "sexy ****."

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I have to admit, I've never wanted to wear a suit that someone would feel tempted to call "sexy ****."

Oh, we know...

At+Geneva.JPG

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yes, I know what you were responding to. Perhaps you missed my reasoning: virtually all Sciamat jackets exhibit the tightness depicted in the picture of the seersucker jacket at the fitting stage. Thus, even if the unfinished jacket is to be corrected and loosened, it is nonetheless representative of typical Sciamat work as is.

No, I got your reasoning, I'm just unconvinced if that's really true. I spent some time last week flipping through their company blog, and found some nice suits (well fitted) to go along with the highly stylized tight ones.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty disingenuous to resort to this sort of personal argumentation when it turns out your own reasoning wasn't as precise or persuasive as you hoped it would be. Remember, you're the one making the wild claims, not me.
Foof, I well know how much lawyers like to play the definition game. But hardly anyone shares your "There can only be one" compulsion and would define "flexible" as you have defined it. Very, very few people think in terms of "It's either perfect or it's garbage." I bet even you do not think in these terms in all areas of your life. Take law, for example. Do you really believe that a particular lawyer must either be as expert in a particular field as the most expert lawyer in the firm -- or in the world -- or his work is garbage? Would you not describe a lawyer who is moderately expert in several diverse areas, though not the leading expert in any, as "flexible"? Because pretty much everyone else would.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SR suits are about $3,500 (excl. VAT) these days given the prevailing fx rate. Many are well below that number.

But there's much greater additional costs in accessing the SR tailors- if you don't want to wait in the US for tours, then you have to make several trips to the UK to get fitted since they take at least a few weeks to construct... with the HK guys, you can show up in HK and get a multiple-fitted suit done in 5 days.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I think Foo is right. The soft shoulders that I have seen from Chinese makers can be nice, but they are one rung or two down from SR and Italian softies.

I think this is true for all other aspects of HK tailoring as well, not just soft shoulders

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Foof, I well know how much lawyers like to play the definition game. But hardly anyone shares your "There can only be one" compulsion and would define "flexible" as you have defined it. Very, very few people think in terms of "It's either perfect or it's garbage."
I didn't say something is garbage if it's not perfect. Rather, my point is that one must consider the degree to which an attempt reaches perfection when assessing the flexibility to achieve the attempted goal. Your reasoning completely avoided this nuance. That Chan can do many different things to some basic level of competency does not establish it's flexibility in any meaningful way.
I bet the not even you do not think in these terms in all areas of your life. Take law, for example. Do you really believe that a particular lawyer must either be as expert in a particular field as the most expert lawyer in the firm -- or in the world -- or his work is garbage? Would you not describe a lawyer who is moderately expert in several diverse areas, though not the leading expert in any, as "flexible"?
Actually, I think exactly as I express on the forum. I don't have enough brain to house two segregated minds. You either aren't reading me carefully enough or you are purposely being obtuse. I never said or implied that Chan is garbage.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
This is one of the few times I'm not actually trying to insult Vox.

Don't go all Coldplay on me.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, we know...

I look like a racist cartoon of myself (thanks, Will
smile.gif
), but my jacket looks pretty damned good.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
However, I wouldn't know, never having owned a $4,500 suit.

this is exactly the problem in these types of debates

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
this is exactly the problem in these types of debates

That's easy to say when you're wealthy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads