• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

W.W. Chan's New Website

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Of course, people do that. And there is, of course, a psychological impetus to believe one's money was well-spent. However, money still speaks more than it doesn't. As a general matter, nicer things cost more--regardless of whatever StylefForumnomics says to the contrary.

Actually, I was referring to the psychological impetus to believe that time spent making money is time well-spent. And ethics well-flushed.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I disagree with you disagreement with his disagreement. - B
Well, I . . . oh, forget it.
I also suspect that sometimes there is too much focus on per-unit economy (i.e. this suit is less expensive that that suit) when a whole-wardobe approach might make more sense. Instead of three Chan, let's say, two SR, etc. - B
More like, "instead of three Chan's, an SR jacket with matching shorts."

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also suspect that sometimes there is too much focus on per-unit economy (i.e. this suit is less expensive that that suit) when a whole-wardobe approach might make more sense. Instead of three Chan, let's say, two SR, etc.

Wouldn' t two SR suits suits cost around $9,000 (with the current exchange rate)? For that amount you could get six Chan suits. (Or for that matter, 27 JAB Sig Golds at 70% off.) I suppose it's all a matter of where you want to draw the line.

I should certainly hope that a Saville Row suit at $4,500 offered something more than a Chan at $1,500. If it doesn't, then it is indeed folly to prefer the SR product to the Chan. However, I wouldn't know, never having owned a $4,500 suit. However, Chan is plenty good enough for someone in my humble station in life.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Foo is right. The soft shoulders that I have seen from Chinese makers can be nice, but they are one rung or two down from SR and Italian softies.

It doesn't make them crap, though...unless you put one against the other, only the most attentive and finicky (
lookaround.gif
) would notice.

I also suspect that sometimes there is too much focus on per-unit economy (i.e. this suit is less expensive that that suit) when a whole-wardobe approach might make more sense. Instead of three Chan, let's say, two SR, etc.

- B

I think this is an easy thing to say for someone with your resources.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Full disclosure: I'm a lawyer.

*sees SF'ers throwing eggs, tomatoes and peices of charcoal*

*ducks*

What's the difference between a lawyer and an onion?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Wouldn' t two SR suits suits cost around $9,000 (with the current exchange rate)? For that amount you could get six Chan suits. (Or for that matter, 27 JAB Sig Golds at 70% off.) I suppose it's all a matter of where you want to draw the line.

I should certainly hope that a Saville Row suit at $4,500 offered something more than a Chan at $1,500. If it doesn't, then it is indeed folly to prefer the SR product to the Chan. However, I wouldn't know, never having owned a $4,500 suit. However, Chan is plenty good enough for someone in my humble station in life.

SR suits are about $3,500 (excl. VAT) these days given the prevailing fx rate. Many are well below that number.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
And give me a break on the seersucker number being a poor fit - it looks focking incredible. Let's be serious, it's one thing to offer reasonable critiques, but when someone becomes chauvanistic about their minute style preferences, it comes off as crass IMO.
No, it's not about style preferences. In the image below, I've modified the fit, as well as other elements. The other elements aside, the fit is still bad.
sciamatfoofed.jpg
Originally Posted by Bounder
I disagree with your disagreement. In the website pictures, they have everything from near-sack to near wasp-waisted. As you note, the quarters are all over the place. The lapels seem to vary a fair amount as well, though not as much as the quarters. I happen to know that Chan shoulders also vary considerably, though you can't really tell from the tiny pictures.
I don't know if we are looking at the same images. I am only considering the images specifically displayed on the 'House Style' page. I see nothing "near-sack," although you could argue that the waist suppression can verge on the waspy.
Chan's forte, and weakness, is that they are amazingly flexible -- probably more flexible than any Italian or SR house, bar none.
I don't want to get into this argument again, because I think the flaw in your reasoning comes down to a very basic confusion in definition. If by "flexibility," you mean the willingness to do different things, you might be right about Chan. However, under that definition, I'm even more flexible. I'll make you whatever you ask for. It will look like garbage, but I'm nonetheless being flexible, aren't I? On the other hand, if by "flexibility," you mean the ability to do exactly as well what others are doing differently, Chan--by your own admission--is not necessarily more flexible at all. It's only this second definition of the term that makes it useful to discuss.
The can do a credible job at almost anything, though not, obviously, up to the standards of some house that specializes in whatever look it is you want. I've never compared all three on this point, but I bet, for example, that they can do drape better than Huntsman but not as well as AS. I do know that they are happy to accomodate somewhat unusual requests -- requests that might get you ejected from a lot of other houses -- and that they do a very acceptable job of implementing them.
I have no idea why you would suppose any of this. I have not seen one single example of a Chan suit that successfully mimics the work of a more prestigious tailor. What is "acceptable" to you isn't really the issue.
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Actually, I was referring to the psychological impetus to believe that time spent making money is time well-spent. And ethics well-flushed.
Either way, you're referring to the tendency to emphasize the importance of money in determining value.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The swelled chest on the right looks a bit ridiculous. Looks like he's smuggling some prosciutto cotto.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Foo,

To be fair, that coat is still at a fitting stage. I've had coats in far worse shape during my own fittings that have been revamped extensively by the tailor.

Its a bit unfair to judge Sciamat based on that pic. While I agree with the prevailing sentiment on Sciamat's cartoonish shoulders, the rest of their garments don't look that bad.

ET

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I think this is an easy thing to say for someone with your resources.
Oh, come on. That is a low blow. Vox is talking about long-term planning and value. I see no reason why his wealth would make it easier to emphasize those things, or why the less wealthy shouldn't try to be better long-term planners and extract more value from their investments. Your remark implies that you're much more prejudiced by wealth than he is.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Foo,

To be fair, that coat is still at a fitting stage. I've had coats in far worse shape during my own fittings that have been revamped extensively by the tailor.

Its a bit unfair to judge Scaimat based on that pic. While I agree with the prevailing sentiment on Sciamat's cartoonish shoulders, the rest of their garments don't look that bad.

ET

I posted two images. The finished jacket on the guy who actually works for Sciamat fits even worse and is much tighter. Based on all the Sciamat jackets I've seen posted online, narrow shoulders and over-tight waists are characteristic.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, if by "flexibility," you mean the ability to do exactly as well what others are doing differently, Chan--by your own admission--is not necessarily more flexible at all. It's only this second definition of the term that makes it useful to discuss.
You are viewing the world through OCD-colored glasses. Very few people, even on SF, think like this.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, come on. That is a low blow. Vox is talking about long-term planning and value. I see no reason why his wealth would make it easier to emphasize those things, or why the less wealthy shouldn't try to be better long-term planners and extract more value from their investments. Your remark implies that you're much more prejudiced by wealth than he is.

I give Vox a lot of ****. My comment wasn't trying to be insulting at all. $1200 for a suit is still a good chunk of change for most Americans. This is one of the few times I'm not actually trying to insult Vox.

The Sciamats would be fun for a single odd jacket, but I would not fill my wardrobe with their stuff.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I posted two images. The finished jacket on the guy who actually works for Sciamat fits even worse and is much tighter. Based on all the Sciamat jackets I've seen posted online, narrow shoulders and over-tight waists are characteristic.

Yes, and I was responding to your 'foofing' the seersucker coat, not the other guy's completed suit. There are a few pics I've seen on their blog that appear to be quite ok - not my cup of tea, but they're not bad in terms of fit and styling (save the shoulders).

There are a lot of pics of Luca floating around that invoke giggles on this forum. But that's Luca's style and isn't indicative of the quality and styling offered by Rubinacci as a firm. Perhaps the same is happening here. Who knows.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

Hi, I am here to tell everyone that there is no need to further discuss what is being discussed as the correct choice has been well described by JLibourel. I have bolded it in the event you missed it the first time around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads