• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should you let your wife or girlfriend buy your clothes?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
If my wife bought my clothes, they would all be the most non-descript Brooks Brothers stuff available. Her credo - if I notice your clothes, you've failed. This uber-Beau Brommelism means that, on weekends, I'd wear khakis (shorts or long pants depending upon weather) and a polo shirt with sneakers. On the week days, grey suits without much if any pattern. All style would be crushed in her campaign against attention. And everything would be as cheap as humanly possible. No shoes would cost more than $150. No shirts past $75.

I would have to drink Liquid Plumber.

In her defense, this is the credo she lives by as well. No, she is not a good dresser. Nor does she really give a damn if she is. But ... she costs me very little money.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
my wife has horrendous taste in everything imaginable - I wouldn't trust her to buy me clothes if my life depended on it

Horrendous taste in everything imaginable except You, I assume.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Answer: Hell ******* no.

If it fits badly or is general crap, it goes straight to eBay/Craigslist/Buffalo Exchange.

inMongolia

Reaction score
My girlfriend works for burberry and helps to do up the mannequins that aren't already specified by their corporate office--so she has a pretty good sense of style.

We agree about 90% of the time when it comes to mens clothes. Once she pushed me really hard into buying a pair of shoes that I didn't really like, but here two years later they're my favorite pair--so I try to keep that in mind when we disagree.

That said, she has picked out some really gaudy ties for me and tends to like the super narrow tie look.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No under any circumstances.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn

I would have to drink Liquid Plumber.

FYI liquid plumber is a slow and painful way to die.
teacha.gif

hermes man

Reaction score
definitely no

i would rather she give me the money to buy myself OR take me along with her to purchase the clothes

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
If my wife had her way I would be outfitted in dark blue shirts and black pants most of the time. I would describe her sense of male fashion as very, very conventional. She has gotten to the point just to let me dress how I see fit without comment and that's for the best. She has, on occasion, produced some really nice clothes for me, like a Green Cord vest that I love and the leather trimmed tweed jacket.
Not all bad, but I do my shopping for me and she rarely, if ever, comes along.

AnnSOS

Reaction score
For the enlightened man: Yes, but in stages.

It "connects" her, makes her feel trusted, and that her opinion is valid and valuable. And its fun! Start small with low-impact purchases, ties and shirts. Some casual shoes.

Let some time pass to get a sense of if her choices and direction for you is really appropriate for your major purchases.

For a man who could care less and it shows: Definitely. Immediately. This weekend.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
should? "should?" why ? is anything absolute? depends , no?

should i ask someone if i should let my wife buy me clothes?
what if she still does?
what happens if i dont do what we say i should do?
what will happen?

should my wife buy me any clothes, i keep anything i like to wear or maybe i will exchange it or return it altogether. usually it's a gift.

maybe she buys it for me out of a statement: "you have to wear this because you HAVE to"

never happened before.
but if it does, does it question my masculinity if i comply ...and then that i have to ask the forum?
"Should i let my wife buy me or command me around?"

she commands me around.
yes
sometimes i listen sometimes i dont
i t depends.
sometimes i command her around.
but most of the time we are in harmony and dont need to command each other anything. more of suggestions.

so what?

my wife tells me to be careful of stray hairs cluttered around the sink after i comb my hair and /or shave.

so be it then.

i listen to her and clear /wipe it down after every comb/shave.

obviously, those who will question that above will be those who have never been in a real relationship before.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^
Must've hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid.

Will C.

Reaction score
The problem is that the nuances of traditional men's style are a completely foreign realm to most women. It's something that evolved as a collaboration between tailors and their clientele, both of which were men. This is the same reason why the stereotypical 'well-dressed gay man' is a myth. He has the sensibilities and colour palette of a woman, and as a result ends up looking camp. (I don't say that there can't be exceptions). Women don't want to steer their men in that direction, so when women shop for men's clothes their discretion is basically the same as what their partners' would typically be in this day and age: unrefined.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads