• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay

When people speak of an unconstructed linen sports coat, do they mean it has absolutely no lining--including the sleeves?

Unlined is unlined. Unconstructed is well.

If you remove the lining from most RTW jackets you'll find the inside isn't that pretty. A unlined jacket needs to be prettied up so the seams look nice. With a lining all those guts are covered.

Maybe rip a seam and take a look at how well finished it is under the lining.

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Unlined is unlined. Unconstructed is well.

Unlined even in the sleeves?
If you remove the lining from most RTW jackets you'll find the inside isn't that pretty. A unlined jacket needs to be prettied up so the seams look nice. With a lining all those guts are covered.
I'll give it a look. I wonder if it's possible to have the seams prettied up.

Probably not worth it, just thinking about breathability.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lined sleeves are easier to put your arms in.

rexy

Reaction score
Hi a question to those to often to go tailor their pants.

I'm completely new to this and I wanna ask about tailoring slim khakis. Problem is I've never bought slim khakis in my life and I haven't tried on any at stores either. So I don't know how tight the hems are supposed to be. How wide should the hems of the pants be?

My tailor (who is an old man, I think he mostly does pants for middle-aged people) tells me that 18cm is good enough (meaning 36cm in circumference) but I'm not so sure.

Capita

Reaction score
I am going to be buying my first pair of dress shoes since my parents bought them for me in high school and was going to go for allen edmonds (nearby outlet store if the price is right or maybe ebay it)

For color I like the burgundy/dark browns over blacks and I don't own a black suit anyway. But what shoe models / characteristics would be appropriate for going from chinos to more casual suits?

Open lacing and no brogue? I can get a new Charleston in my size for $130 if that would be appopriate

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Capita
I am going to be buying my first pair of dress shoes since my parents bought them for me in high school and was going to go for allen edmonds (nearby outlet store if the price is right or maybe ebay it)

For color I like the burgundy/dark browns over blacks and I don't own a black suit anyway. But what shoe models / characteristics would be appropriate for going from chinos to more casual suits?

Open lacing and no brogue? I can get a new Charleston in my size for $130 if that would be appopriate

I think that Weybridge is one of their sexiest shoes. I'd recommend getting them. They look great with jeans, chinos or dress pants.

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rexy
Hi a question to those to often to go tailor their pants.

I'm completely new to this and I wanna ask about tailoring slim khakis. Problem is I've never bought slim khakis in my life and I haven't tried on any at stores either. So I don't know how tight the hems are supposed to be. How wide should the hems of the pants be?

My tailor (who is an old man, I think he mostly does pants for middle-aged people) tells me that 18cm is good enough (meaning 36cm in circumference) but I'm not so sure.

18cm is very slim. I see most of the mabitex/incotex slims have hems that are 1-3cm bigger

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Capita

I like oxfords and some brogues for my brown shoes. 5th ave, weybridge, van ness if u like a little broguing. Strand and mcallister if you like a lot of brogueing.

Capita

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I think that Weybridge is one of their sexiest shoes. I'd recommend getting them. They look great with jeans, chinos or dress pants.
Originally Posted by TieMyShoe
I like oxfords and some brogues for my brown shoes. 5th ave, weybridge, van ness if u like a little broguing. Strand and mcallister if you like a lot of brogueing.
Thanks for the quick response! I think I like the 5th ave and weybridge the best, I don't think I am ready for so much brogueing yet haha

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another Newbie Question

Are dress shoes suppose to be wore with thin sole inserts? I keep hearing different opinions from different people.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Another Newbie Question

Are dress shoes suppose to be wore with thin sole inserts? I keep hearing different opinions from different people.

Insoles aren't necessary if the shoes fit properly.

knicks443

Reaction score
do any of you know which sunglasses these are?

sunglesses.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads