• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Appreciation Alert. New G&G Russia Leather Norwegians

cdmoore1855

Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Hi Guys

I picked these up from Dean last week while back in England. They came out great, they look really slick on the foot, the pics don't quite do the shoes justice.

2 more to arrive within a day or two.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Regards

Cdmoore

Fixed the pics for you... and damn that is a sexy ass sole.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Fixed the pics for you... and damn that is a sexy ass sole.

Cheers, I don't know why the pics would not post automatically

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, I don't know why the pics would not post automatically

Because you didn't post them using the tags. When creating a post it's the little yellow square icon.

Congrats

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Out of curiosity, how did you get the leather? I thought Cleverly had a monopoly of it all. Did G&G purchase some from them?

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Nice! Out of curiosity, how did you get the leather? I thought Cleverly had a monopoly of it all. Did G&G purchase some from them?

David you are spot on. G&G did not tell me where they got it, only that they could get hold of enough for one pair only. maybe cos they don't want to stoop to buying from Cleverleys.

I spent an hour chatting with George Glasgow of Cleverleys on Wednesday when in London (and bought a pair of Anthony Cleverley loafers), I mentioned that Tony G had made me a a pair or Russia Leather shoes and he said he sold Tony a skin a few months back. I have a feeling there is still quite a bit of that skin available, when I was there George pointed out a very large roll of something wrapped in paper and he said it was RL. It was pretty big. George said they are the only guys with the skin and all the other need to get it from them

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot

probably among shoemakers.

once in a while batches appear on the internet.

i really like the texture of this leather.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This leather is available from bag makers etc. Don't believe the Cleverley hype.

Nice shoes, BTW. Congrats.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
This leather is available from bag makers etc. Don't believe the Cleverley hype.

Nice shoes, BTW. Congrats.

Yeah, maybe the supply of this stuff is hyped but its very nice stuff. The texture is great

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho

Yes……but I know at least one firm of leather workers/bag makers (in the UK) who have complained, they can only get the stuff through Cleverley and the hides they get offered by Cleverley were not the best qualities (they seem to vary enormously).

That ‘Cleverley exclusive’ might be a thing of the last ten years or so. The wreck was discovered back in 1973 and since that day up to two or three years ago (when the team announced no further dives would take place), every summer they dived down and got another lot of hides up. (I know, it’s a bit like the pieces of the “True Cross”.)

Initially the hides were supplied to maybe a dozen firms, in the UK and abroad, but it might have been easier for the diving team in recent years to sell the whole loot to Cleverley, instead of setting up a distribution department.

I know one amateur scuba diver who wants to try this summer to dive down there and get a few hides out.
(Yes, I’ve asked the man to think of me.)

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. I particularly like the heel.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe the supply of this stuff is hyped but its very nice stuff. The texture is great

Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Yes......but I know at least one firm of leather workers/bag makers (in the UK) who have complained, they can only get the stuff through Cleverley and the hides they get offered by Cleverley were not the best qualities (they seem to vary enormously).

That "˜Cleverley exclusive' might be a thing of the last ten years or so. The wreck was discovered back in 1973 and since that day up to two or three years ago (when the team announced no further dives would take place), every summer they dived down and got another lot of hides up. (I know, it's a bit like the pieces of the "True Cross".)

Initially the hides were supplied to maybe a dozen firms, in the UK and abroad, but it might have been easier for the diving team in recent years to sell the whole loot to Cleverley, instead of setting up a distribution department.

I know one amateur scuba diver who wants to try this summer to dive down there and get a few hides out.
(Yes, I've asked the man to think of me.)

That Russian hide sure is purty. Tom Park mentioned something about mixed feedback when he recently posted his bespoke Cleverley made from the stuff. I don't recall reading anything negative about the looks of the leather itself, which I like quite a lot.

Instead, I think many question the high prices it commands as well as the supposedly super limited, yet neverending supply of the stuff... Dunno if it's all hype though; as someone said, given the price, the stuff ain't flying off the shelves. I just wished some enterprising maker would offer plain old calf in the same crosshatch(?) embossed finish.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've got to say - those are pretty sick.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
That Russian hide sure is purty. Tom Park mentioned something about mixed feedback when he recently posted his bespoke Cleverley made from the stuff. I don't recall reading anything negative about the looks of the leather itself, which I like quite a lot.

Instead, I think many question the high prices it commands as well as the supposedly super limited, yet neverending supply of the stuff... Dunno if it's all hype though; as someone said, given the price, the stuff ain't flying off the shelves. I just wished some enterprising maker would offer plain old calf in the same crosshatch(?) embossed finish.

You can get fake Russia Leather made from normal calf. G&G have some for making bespoke but its better to pay a little extra in my opinion and get the real stuff. It looks like it has history to it plus you get the nice oil smell. The upcharge was 500 pound over regular calf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads