• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I like L'AdDM but it's a bit strong for me so I pretty much never wear it. I only have a decant but I've barely made a dent in it. I think it's a lovely spicey amber but it's one of those scents that never seems to dry down on me - it just blares on at maximum volume, even it barely dab it on. I guess I like it but don't enjoy wearing it. I do like it on my girl.

I agree that it is strong. I think it is very interesting, high quality, and evokes imagery similar to it's name, but I also rarely reach for it. There is also something about it that is sightly sickening to me, especially after I am exposed to it for a few hours. It's good, but not an ideal fit for me.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Basenotes USED to be a lot of fun with a lot of SF-like experts (imagine a Manton of parfumerie!) Moderation there got very heavy in favor of noobs and overly PC, and a lot of hand holding for constant, incessant threads that had the same topic (like, 5000000000 "Is my GIT real?" threads and "What Creed should I buy if I like GIT?"). Mods would rant and rage after older members who asked noobs to use the search function and, after a while, one by one the older "noses" just left because it was getting to be a headache.

I would have liked to experience BaseNotes back in the day. I think it is a good concept, but there are so many new threads that it is ridiculous and unusable. With consolidation of threads and heavier moderation I can see how BN would be a lot of fun.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
I would have liked to experience BaseNotes back in the day. I think it is a good concept, but there are so many new threads that it is ridiculous and unusable. With consolidation of threads and heavier moderation I can see how BN would be a lot of fun.

Basenotes was more fun when I joined, but I disliked the massive pro-Creed bias. Perfumeoflife was I think a bit more fun as well a few years back, but it's awfully woman-centric and they've run off some of the more interesting people in favor of a code of pleasantness and harmony.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Basenotes was more fun when I joined, but I disliked the massive pro-Creed bias. Perfumeoflife was I think a bit more fun as well a few years back, but it's awfully woman-centric and they've run off some of the more interesting people in favor of a code of pleasantness and harmony.

Haha, yeah every mofo on BN jocks Creed so hard. I don't get it. I guess running a quality and sustainable forum does take some skill and strategy. It seems like a lot of forums come and go.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Haha, yeah every mofo on BN jocks Creed so hard. I don't get it. I guess running a quality and sustainable forum does take some skill and strategy. It seems like a lot of forums come and go.

Yeah, they pretty ran Luca Turin off basenotes (and POL) for a variety of reasons, but I think his general savaging of Creed certainly didn't win him any respect. As for why they <3 Creed... I couldn't tell you, although sometimes I think they confuse price with quality, or automatically conflate the two

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The culture of the perfume sites is insufferable. It's a shame, because there were some very interesting people there and some terrific writing about perfume. It was always a little bitchy there though. People there are more sensitive than the CE forum.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The problem wasn't light moderation, it was stupid moderation. They need(ed) smarter, not heavier moderation. For example, you don't produce a good forum by running off your best, most contributing, longest serving members and holding the hands of noobs who post two threads and then never come to the site again. It wasn't just with noobs, though; it was a heavily enforced groupthink that finally did it. There was also a theory floated that the nature of forums (especially fragrance ones) themselves is unsustainable; people get REALLY interested in it for a while, try it, then disappear. As such, the turnaround of "noobs" seemed to be much higher, while the friendship/camraderie between older members seemed to stay centered around scent. That gets boring after a while; you can only discuss how amazing "Musc Ravageur" is so many times.
lol8[1].gif
With SF, most of the oldest members have long since moved on from the main clothes area; probably 90% of our posts here are with our "e-friends" and have little or nothing to do with clothes/style.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, they pretty ran Luca Turin off basenotes (and POL) for a variety of reasons, but I think his general savaging of Creed certainly didn't win him any respect. As for why they <3 Creed... I couldn't tell you, although sometimes I think they confuse price with quality, or automatically conflate the two
Yep, they did, along with pretty much all the other very good members. Imagine a forum where manton, matt, JLib, lawyerdad, foo, PG, etc. get scolded, while Aperipan, ATC, LanceKonami, spallacamiccia, and Lafont are encouraged to rule the day. Yes, girls, you should be shuddering in your Incotex.
wink.gif
ANYHOO... my SOTD today is Dior Higher. Boring, synthetic, bland citrus with a hint of something bitter. I don't like it all that much, but Japanese rainy season summers are like 90 degrees with 98% humidity, and anything heavier than a bland, bitter citrus ends up smelling like a ****-ton of dead flowers. SO, for meetings today, it fits the bill. Luckily, I got my bottle on the super-cheap.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...)

There was also a theory floated that the nature of forums (especially fragrance ones) themselves is unsustainable; people get REALLY interested in it for a while, try it, then disappear. As such, the turnaround of "noobs" seemed to be much higher, while the friendship/camraderie between older members seemed to stay centered around scent. That gets boring after a while; you can only discuss how amazing "Musc Ravageur" is so many times.
lol8[1].gif

(...)

Same could be said about the shaving fora I used to frequent. How many times can one talk of shaving techniques, and also avoid the acquisition disorders that such sites foster.

Yep, they did, along with pretty much all the other very good members. Imagine a forum where manton, matt, JLib, lawyerdad, foo, PG, etc. get scolded, while Aperipan, ATC, LanceKonami, spallacamiccia, and Lafont are encouraged to rule the day.

(...)

I think that site exists and is called AAAC.
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
The culture of the perfume sites is insufferable. It's a shame, because there were some very interesting people there and some terrific writing about perfume. It was always a little bitchy there though. People there are more sensitive than the CE forum.

This is quite true. Some people seem to forget that taste is indeed subjective and there are few, if any, universal favorites.

Today...speaking of universal favorites...YSL Live Jazz for a damp, overcast day.

scugger

Reaction score
Same could be said about the shaving fora I used to frequent. How many times can one talk of shaving techniques, and also avoid the acquisition disorders that such sites foster.
Yeah, I do like the fact that these crazy niche sites/communities exist through the power of the internet. But then I also think what the hell is wrong with people that have 20K+ posts on a site to talk about shaving creams, soaps, and blades. I think it is hard to participate in a forum like that without getting super obsessed. I think the same could probably be said about BaseNotes. I like reading fragrance critiques and also smelling nice things. I also appreciate those who have large knowledge of the topic, but how much time can you devote to discussing things over and over unless you are in the fragrance industry or something? Right now, I prefer the more "rational" slower pace of discussion in this thread on SF to curb the feeling of needing to make constant acquisitions that I would get reading BaseNotes all the time.

boo

Reaction score
Nothing to add to the conversation other than it's Domenico Caraceni today. Thankfully the weather has cooled a bit to let me start moving elsewhere through my wardrobe.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today it's Chanel No. 5 EDT version. I'm glad i bought the eau premier instead.

Re: B&amp;B, I started spending a little time there and then, I never thought I'd say this, but realized quickly that whatever I'm doing right now is &quot;good enough&quot;. I've bought a C$E BB, Merkur 34c and stack of derbies. I bought probably 5 jars of the top recomended creams, watched a few videos.... and I'm exhausted. What more do I possibly need? I've got enough knowledge and supplies for years, so I pretty much never go back there.

Basenotes, well aside from the overly &quot;keep everone happy&quot; feeling I find annoying, and lack of characters (ie there's like 5-10 big posters and a bunch of highschoolers who jump in and leave), the site is starting to bore me after about a year. I use the directory all the time and my fragrance searching/buying is far from over, but it's starting to wind down. I suspect this, unlike shaving, will be a lifelong learning hobby, as will clothing.

Speaking of which, I used to post a heck of lot more around here, and serious real threads or questions, but I think I've started just joking around a lot more and having fun. I probably still spend an hour or more a day around here, but what I like is the fast paced action. I can refresh new posts every few minutes and there's plenty going on. Basenotes just moves SO slowly. I think the whole rest of the forum besides the actual MC and SW&amp;D is what really makes this place fun. Tehre's just SO many people here. Last night I walked into the gap and spotted a filson 256, 2 minutes later I realized the guys a poster here. This kind of thing happens all the time!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ heh. I have a couple of fistfuls of straight razors and a drawer (or 2) of creams and soaps. And I've not bought anything shaving related in probably two years or so.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday: Rose 31
Today: Montale Black Aoud

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads