• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I just got my first pair of Allen Edmonds (Park Avenue). Most of the crappy dress shoes I've worn in the past have been a 12, which is generally my sneaker size. I noticed just a touch of heel slippage with the AE's. I bought a pair of heel liners tonight and there's really no slippage now.

So in the future, would I be best to go down half a size with AE shoes, or does it sound like sound like I should stick with a 12 and pair it with a heel liner of sorts? The liners I bought aren't terribly thick, which made me think going down even a half size may prove to be too snug.

The only way to know for sure is to try on a pair of AEs that is a half size smaller, but it's not uncommon to wear a smaller size in dress shoes than sneakers.

GiorgioHilfiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gradytripp
I'm getting married in August, and I'd like to purchase a double-breasted waistcoat to go with the charcoal suit I'll be wearing. I cannot spend more than $150, and I would need to order without going in for a direct measurement as I'm living abroad right now. Is this even possible? Any suggestions? Thank you.
Pakeman, Catto and Carter has odd waistcoats at this price point, http://www.pakeman.co.uk/products.php?cat=27 - I have their buff linen sb waistcoat and it's ok. Edit: check also the sale section http://www.pakeman.co.uk/products.php?cat=213 - especially if you are into pink stars!

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Could each of you post two or three of your "go to" midpriced brands?

I got the skinny of ralph luaren and all their lines.

I know there is no "can't miss" brand, but I feel a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of information and options out there.

two or three of your favs will allow me to start somewhere and take mental notes of things worth taking a second look at while shopping.

I've browsed the what are you wearing thread and used the search function, so any direct rec will save me a lot of time : - )

I've heard that thick as theives and mtm are two good brands. What else?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I just got my first pair of Allen Edmonds (Park Avenue). Most of the crappy dress shoes I've worn in the past have been a 12, which is generally my sneaker size. I noticed just a touch of heel slippage with the AE's. I bought a pair of heel liners tonight and there's really no slippage now. So in the future, would I be best to go down half a size with AE shoes, or does it sound like sound like I should stick with a 12 and pair it with a heel liner of sorts? The liners I bought aren't terribly thick, which made me think going down even a half size may prove to be too snug.
The last on which Park Aves are built (the 5 last, IIRC) runs slightly longer and narrower than what would be considered true to size. If you're a true 12, I'd say you could reasonably expect some slight heel slippage on the Park Ave. I wouldn't go down half a size. - Keith

runner-guy

Reaction score
Hey fellas. I am attending a wedding on July 4th. I plan to wear a navy suit and maybe a new Brooks Brothers shirt that has a light blue and white mini checked pattern. What color/pattern tie do you think would go well these colors? The shirt looks very similar to this but a lighter shade of blue: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

bigasahouse

Reaction score
For the first time, I took one of my suit jackets to the local dry cleaner/alteration place, and I'm not sure if they understood that I wanted to change the silhouette and add waist suppression (I showed them a pic and everything). They said immediately that the jacket fit well and it did not need to be "taken in" and dismissed me.

To be fair, it did fit well around my middle. So my questions are:

1. Is there is difference between taking a jacket in and adding waist suppression?
1a. If there is a difference, how are both achieved?

and
2. If a jacket fits well already, is it possible to add waist suppression?

Thanks! This is really bothering me.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
For the first time, I took one of my suit jackets to the local dry cleaner/alteration place, and I'm not sure if they understood that I wanted to change the silhouette and add waist suppression (I showed them a pic and everything). They said immediately that the jacket fit well and it did not need to be "taken in" and dismissed me.

To be fair, it did fit well around my middle. So my questions are:

1. Is there is difference between taking a jacket in and adding waist suppression?
1a. If there is a difference, how are both achieved?

and
2. If a jacket fits well already, is it possible to add waist suppression?

Thanks! This is really bothering me.

First, don't go to the dry cleaners. Seek out a real tailor. Ask again to somebody who knows what the hell they're doing, the alterations people at a dry cleaners are mainly doing things like hemming pants. Don't go there for serious work.

And if it fits well around the middle, you don't need waist suppression. That is taking it in at the middle, and if it already fits, why bother?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, gentlemen.

Does anyone have experience with Barker shoes? How do they generally fit? I want to buy the Lincoln model and I wear a 9D US. Pediwear's website claims that I should buy a 8.5, but most people here say that 9US equals to 8UK.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, ive been looking all over for these frames, they are discontinued, but they were very popular when the were making them, any ideas? I would apreciate any help finding a pair, thanks. (they are the ons marcello mastroianni wore in 8 1/2)

SPR07F in black/grey

541039113.jpg

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
First, don't go to the dry cleaners. Seek out a real tailor. Ask again to somebody who knows what the hell they're doing, the alterations people at a dry cleaners are mainly doing things like hemming pants. Don't go there for serious work.

And if it fits well around the middle, you don't need waist suppression. That is taking it in at the middle, and if it already fits, why bother?

Thanks, after the conversation with them there, I got the sense that I wouldn't feel comfortable with them doing anything other than simple hemming. The problem is that I don't think there is a good tailor in town.

It fits well in the middle, but there isn't the silhouette like I see on WAYWRN. It hangs more like a sack. Hopefully that makes sense.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score

I know there is no "can't miss" brand, but I feel a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of information and options out there.

two or three of your favs will allow me to start somewhere and take mental notes of things worth taking a second look at while shopping.

I've browsed the what are you wearing thread and used the search function, so any direct rec will save me a lot of time : - )

enarchay

Reaction score
I bought a linen/cotton sports coat from Old Navy to wear this summer, and I need to hem the sleeves. The jacket is partially lined: there is a cotton lining vertically down the left and right sides of the jacket (from the shoulders down to the pockets) and polyester lining in the sleeves; the neck of the jacket down to the middle and bottom of the jacket is unlined. I'm wondering if while I'm at it, at the least, I should have the polyester lining removed from the sleeves, and at the most, remove all of the lining. I'm not sure how this would affect the functionality of the jacket. I'm pretty sure removing the sleeve lining won't affect functionality, but I'm not sure about the cotton lining inside the jacket.

When people speak of an unconstructed linen sports coat, do they mean it has absolutely no lining--including the sleeves?

What would you guys do?

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston

???

maybe there's a brand called mtm and i will look like an idiot, but sounds like you mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_to_measure

you should probably slow down and do some more research here

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
???

maybe there's a brand called mtm and i will look like an idiot, but sounds like you mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_to_measure

you should probably slow down and do some more research here

Sellahi, you're right, that is my mistake.

I've been advised to try and make my questions more direct. I will try and be more specific from here on out.

To the forum: Could you list two mid level brands that you would recommend for trousers and dress shirts?

How about blazers?

What do you think about thick as thieves?

I like the more modern stuff and have reviewed the guide to slim fit shirts thread. I'm looking to narrow brands down a bit.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
I bought a linen/cotton sports coat from Old Navy to wear this summer, and I need to hem the sleeves. The jacket is partially lined: there is a cotton lining vertically down the left and right sides of the jacket (from the shoulders down to the pockets) and polyester lining in the sleeves; the neck of the jacket down to the middle and bottom of the jacket is unlined. I'm wondering if while I'm at it, at the least, I should have the polyester lining removed from the sleeves.
What would you guys do?

Why (except for getting the sleeve length correct) would you want to do this? Old Navy isn't nuts; they lined the sleeves to make them go on easier over a shirt. They would catch otherwise. You'd find yourself tugging at the cuffs and pulling the shirt down throughout these endless booz-fueled summer nights and the only reason I tried to answer your question was so I could say endless booz-fueled summer nights, which I now have and am now satisfied. Hope you feel likewise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads