• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no girls here?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi spb_lady
wink.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
^^^ EXACTLY. Sometimes I wonder just how much of the membership actually interact with women on a daily basis.

Another vote of support for this sentiment. The misogyny that permeates this board is always bothersome, but it's somehow made worse when people direct it at what may be an earnest poster. It reminds me of that thread with the woman who was talking about her husband's 'Vette.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ EXACTLY. Sometimes I wonder just how much of the membership actually interact with women on a daily basis.

Thomas you're my boy but -1. Groupthink and mores on a forum have very little correlation to how interacts with women, or people in general, in real life. Just my opinion.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

+1 to what manton said.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. In answer to your question:
WHDyG.jpg

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Guys, before we all act like total idiots and chase this person away, can we please give it a couple of days? She seems genuine and at this point deserves A) the benefit of the doubt and B) better treatment than she is getting.

Sometimes I am reminded of the Little Rascals "He-Man Woman-Haters Club."

+1

Originally Posted by BDC2823
Seriously. It's pretty pathetic how this happens every single time and it really isn't funny.

+1

+1

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Thomas you're my boy but -1. Groupthink and mores on a forum have very little correlation to how interacts with women, or people in general, in real life. Just my opinion.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by GQgeek
facepalm.gif

this forum is like GQGeek's life, no girls! (said in Yakov Smirnoff voice)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Another vote of support for this sentiment. The misogyny that permeates this board is always bothersome, but it's somehow made worse when people direct it at what may be an earnest poster. It reminds me of that thread with the woman who was talking about her husband's 'Vette.

Oh, the 'vette thread was bothersome on a number of levels, but I think she provoked some indignation with a few of her comments that seemed pretty dumb to me. That Op was not entirely blameless in the conflagration that followed.

You have a point there, I think sometimes we let loose with things online that we would never say IRL - I certainly do that once in a while. But sometimes the collective SF greeting to women of "poke it with a stick" resembles that of grade schoolers when presented with an alien life-form.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
this forum is like GQGeek's life, no girls! (said in Yakov Smirnoff voice)
Women love me. Just not always the right ones.
frown.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have a point there, I think sometimes we let loose with things online that we would never say IRL - I certainly do that once in a while. But sometimes the collective SF greeting to women of "poke it with a stick" resembles that of grade schoolers when presented with an alien life-form.

The only difference between my opinion and yours on this is that I am being a pessimist ("we aren't going to be able to change our behavior so let's just get on with the inevitable and not put on airs") and you are an optimist ("how hard can it be to just act respectfully towards a woman? - we can do it").

Then again, I don't know if the issue is discrimination or that we are just a generally rude and hazing bunch - for men and women. I do agree that women are a much easier target on this forum though.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, the 'vette thread was bothersome on a number of levels, but I think she provoked some indignation with a few of her comments that seemed pretty dumb to me. That Op was not entirely blameless in the conflagration that followed.

I agree, but that somehow made it exponentially worse. Usually it's just the standard abuse, but her provocation inspired everyone to kick it up a notch. That was one of the worst examples of SF misbehavior I can remember.

But, yeah, she egged it on for sure, and it was like throwing gasoline on an already-lit fire.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Guys, before we all act like total idiots and chase this person away, can we please give it a couple of days? She seems genuine and at this point deserves A) the benefit of the doubt and B) better treatment than she is getting.

Sometimes I am reminded of the Little Rascals "He-Man Woman-Haters Club."

I love you, man, but for someone who's been on a message board as long as you have, you should be well aware of how the entrance of an (alleged) female into the community usually goes.

1) Girl shows up.
2) 50% of the guys fawn all over her.
3) 50% of the guys think it's a trap and troll the thread.
4) 95% of the time, girl eventually reveals herself as, or is revealed unintentionally, as a dude.
5) Rinse and repeat.

Call me cynical if you will. But I've been on the internet -- and, in particular, in some male-dominated internet communities -- long enough to know how this scenario almost always plays itself out.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The only difference between my opinion and yours on this is that I am being a pessimist ("we aren't going to be able to change our behavior so let's just get on with the inevitable and not put on airs") and you are an optimist ("how hard can it be to just act respectfully towards a woman? - we can do it").

Then again, I don't know if the issue is discrimination or that we are just a generally rude and hazing bunch - for men and women. I do agree that women are a much easier target on this forum though.

Hmm, interesting way to look at it (is it THAT obvious I voted for Obama?), and the discrimination/equality question is one I don't think we'll ever be able to answer.

I suspect that the married/experienced among us are the more even-handed in doling out the abuse between men and women members, but that's just my own suspicion. Then again, I don't see tagut, Conne, or Neo jumping in on threads like these, either, so that suspicion doesn't really hold water too well.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

This.

In my experience, the dudes who fall all over themselves to be polite to internet-"women" are usually the ones with comparatively little experience with real-life women.

I'm not hard-up for female affections. I don't consider women some sort of special, magical breed of human beings whose attention and positive esteem I am desperate to receive. When an internet-woman shows up and posts pictures of "her"self right off the bat, it sets off quite a few red flags. I'll make no apology about that.

If this person really is a girl, then great. No big deal, IMO, nor should it be. This threak is pure comedy, though.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread went from interest in clothing to why this forum has no chicks... Pitiful.

No wonder women don't post here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics